BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Your 40k Low Points

This thread is intended for us to talk about low points for us in 40k. What do I mean by low point? Well, it could be anything from a bad moment in battle to a modeling mishaps. We've all had those in abundance I've bet. But the bottom line is the low point sucks. Some of mine:

My very first Landraider. I was so happy to get that bad boy. Been saving up for it for months. And had visions of it rampaging through my enemy's army grinding infantry into a smear beneath its treads. For the 3 nights it took me to work on it I'd cackle with glee as these visions amused me. And so it was with much excitement I placed it on the table in its debut battle. My opponent got the first turn.

And my Landraider was killed before it ever even got to move. I was crestfallen. Nay, I was devastated. Ruined the whole game for me.

Then there was my cursed lascannon wielding Devastator. Who would miss turn after turn and game after game. The other guys would hit often. But this Marine missed almost every time. And when he did hit it would always end up some lousy crew shaken crap. Clearly this Marine needed to switch career choices. Eventually I just abandoned him on the battlefield. Until one day I read an article about gamer superstitions. So I tried something. I began to paint the muzzles of weapons, or other appropriate pieces red. Hey, if red makes Ork trukks go faster surely it'll make Imperium weapons hit better right? Well, this low point proved to turn out for the best! My superstition worked and this dummy Marine began hitting the target and achieving results!

Then there was the time I discovered a Space Marine bolter glued to my belly several hours after I had stopped working on models. Don't you dare call me Bolterbelly!

Another low point was the when my only batch of models from FW came in. DKOK infantry, a Centaur and a quad launcher. And the heavy stubber in the pack with the Centaur arrived snapped in two! And it's dozer blade looked as if it was disintegrating. But the true low point came when I decided to spray a base coat on my infantry. And the force of the spray blew one off the table where it then broke when it hit the floor!

My opponent has constant low points in every game: he always forgets to deploy something, or move something, or roll a reserve, which almost always causes him to lose.

So how about you guys? What are your low points?
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Getting drunk during an Apocalypse game with a friend, she dared me to lick one of my Cobras D-cannons, I did so causing some of the watching teenage club members to make a mess in their trousers (seriously though, get a grip). Got banned from my own club for a week.

Had a squad of ten Howling Banshees with Farseer locked in combat with twenty grots for four turns.

Mistook superglue for lipstick and glued my lips shut. How my brothers laughed.

Found a Dire Avenger head glued between my breasts while in the bath one evening.

Oh and one from one of my brothers, he just finished painting a Reaver titan when his cat tackle-hugged it off the desk and onto the floor.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

You've given me a new 40k low point: even D cannons get more action than me! Couldn't resist that one. I won't joke about the Dire Avenger though.

How did you free your lips? I'd imagine that's the worst place to get glue on you. I hope your brother didn't hurt the cat in anger for such an offense.

My cat is well behaved. My table is covered in models and he has never so much as given one an experimental pawing.

Not my low point but my opponents: as he stooped to check line of site he damn near put out his eye on one of those spikes on a Games Workshop building. Those things are very sharp. It got him just below the eye.

It was very embaressing, I don't usually do things like that and I had forgotten we had an audience for the apocalypse game (we don't let teenage players participate until the little brutes have shown they can pay attention and not break things, so they watch).

One of my brother stopped laughing enough to get some of that stuff that makes glue not work. There is a proper name for it.

The cat was fine, it ran off and hid somewhere until my brothers twin had finished helping him fix it. The damage wasn't too extensive thankfully, it took about an hour to pin broken bits back together and another hour or so to touch up the paint.
    Last edited by eldargal; 02-27-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I've glued lips and fingers together before. Not at the same time thankfully

I had Yriel locked in combat with 5 terminators for 7 turns before (Apoc).

I wish I had a club that actually did stuff anywhere near me to get into all kinds of misadventures....

Pentrated a Hydra 15 times over the course of a game. Rolled 15 1's.

Then there was this dice roll that was so bad I had to take a picture of it. This was a unit of guardians shooting the last scarab base that was muhcing its way through my lines. So thats 4's to hit, 3's to wound, only needing 2 wounds to kill it. 20 shots. Thats got to be a good chance right?

To hit roll.....
    [IMG]

And by the way..the scarabs lived (i only managed one wound) and proceeded to kill 3 tanks. I hates scarabs
    Last edited by DrLove42; 02-27-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Another good reason for me not to drink!

I'm glad the kitty was fine.

Chapter-Master

Leeetttttts see...

I once threw my metal dreadnought across a gaming store. Amazingly it missed everyone and everything, but did manage to break one of the bricks of the pavement outside the front door. I'm not usually one of those gamers who falls foul of bad games, and have no idea what had gotten me so mad in that one, but I think that is a personnal low point let alone for 40k!

At the same gaming store I was once known for having the worst luck imaginable. There was even an informal competition to see who could wipe me out the quickest. The winner managed to table me in his turn one before I even got to move. Even more embaressingly this was a 1500 point game that took just under 15 minutes. Inculding deployment and rolling for missions.

I've lost count of the number of times I have been repairing a model, accidentally ended up supergluing part of my anatomy to it in the process (most commonly my finger, but not exclusively) and in the process of freeing myself accidentally broken another part of the model.

There was the time I was painting some of my guard for a tournament, knocked over my very dirty water pot and completely fried my 17" Laptop. Blue smoke and everything. Fortunately the hard-drive managed to escape undamged, but almost everything else melted.

The most effective my Warlod Titan's TCCW has ever been was when it fell off and smahed one of my opponants' Deamon Prince to smithereens. he had only finished painting it the night before and had been asking around to see if we thought it was worth him entering it into a painting competition the following weekend. We had come to the conclusion that it would have had a decent chance.

I could go on, but I all ready feel I need to go get a cookie to cheer myself up :P
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chaplain

I so envy those who own Titans. They're far above my price range.

My greatest low point is simply not having anyone to play the game with. The guy who got me into the game had two others who played. But in about a year they all moved away. So for many years I had nobody to play and nearly abandoned the hobby. Then I convinced a friend to get into it. And he rapidly built a huge Dark Angel's army. In fact, he has entire shelves of kits that aren't even opened of Marines, Orks, and more. Almost like a shop! He then got two of his friends into it. But battles with them were rare. The other guys tended to play him since they were all friends.

He'd call me up and say "we'll have a battle in two weeks." And I'd rush to work on a list the night before. Only to find out for one excuse or another no battle was coming. And so it'd be months before the actual battle happened.

Now he's moved away along with the others. And he'll still call me up and want to have a battle in a couple of weeks. Which never happens. I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 in a year now. And to date he's never allowed us to go to turn 6. Usually wants to bail out at turn 3 or 4.

Occuli Imperator

Initially I thought this would a thread on >1000pt games

I have several low points.
    One isn't so much a low point but a continued unabashed inability to hit anything with krak missiles. I have a tactical marine armed with a missilie launcher, his personal best is missing a monolith 1" away from him. "Lucky" Hank as he became know has a long and inglorious history of missing very large vehicles from very close range, his base is adorned with trophys from such great shots.

Mephiston, casts wings of sanguinius unpon landing on dangerous terrain, fails the test and takes a wound. Fires his plasma pistol which proceeds to get hot and takes a wound. Then casts Sword of Sanguinius and rolls snake eyes and loses another wound. I was not happy.

And of course any time a Terminator fails a 2+ save. Grot shooting is lethal...

Chaplain

I hate moments like those! When everything seems like it should go the way you want, but inexplicably it doesn't. Or when my blast markers drift over onto my own men. My HK missiles are low points. They always miss. I don't bother with them anymore now.

A low point for my opponent: in a game using an old "bridge assault" mission my opponent poured so much fire into a Chimera I drove onto the bridge to impede his crossing it and never did anything more than stun the crew and destroy the multilaser. Lascannons and kraks galore failed to immobilize or destroy my Chimera. So it earned the name "Invincible."

One high point for me: successfully killing anything which makes a Death or Glory attempt and fails. Those are always satisfying.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast