BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default New to WH Fantasy

Hello everyone,

I will be purchasing the starter box as well as other needed supplies within the next 10 days or so. I've been wanting to give this hobby/game a shot for years and have finally turned the corner. After much research and a very helpful GW employee, my girlfriend and I have our eyes on the Orgre and Dwarven armies (after we get used to the starter set and such), respectively.

What initially drew me to the game years ago were some of the paint schemes and figures for the Wood Elves, but the GW employee hinted that there may be a codex update for them soon, and that it is a little tricky to start playing with that army. Is there anything in the rumor mill along those lines regarding the codex update?

Any noobie information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scout

Wood elves are not currently in the rumor mill, however they are one of the oldest books available (the 3 from 6th edition are Dwarfs (rumored relatively soonish) ,brettonia (no reliable rumors) and wood elves (no current rumors).
    So, are they likely this year? probably not. Sometime next year? Possibly/probably. Within the next few years? Almost certainly.
    That being said, they are a rather difficult army to play, especially in the current ruleset.
    However, with the new way GW is releasing models and waves, it is rather unlikely that when they eventually release the new book that many of your models will be replaced, so aside from the book cost (which you'll get at least about a years worth of use out of at this point) you won't be out much/anything.

That being said, anything is possible. While the current rumors point to Empire, Dwarfs and Warriors of Chaos being the next releases, with the clampdown on rumours who knows what they're actually working on and planning.
    Last edited by kargie; 03-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Well, if youre going to start ogres and dwarfs, it might be a good idea to just get those right away and buy the rulebook online (not the big one, the small one. Try Ebay or similar)... But yeah, hope youll enjoy it!

Regarding wood elves... Kargie pretty much said everything about them. The minis are pretty cool, but as it is, theyre not an army youd want to start the game with. Its extremely frustrating to lose almost all the time, more so when youre a beginner.

Dwarves are a lot of fun, but just start with a good balance of range, hand to hand, and warmachines, at least to start. If you can get the Blackfire Pass Dwarf set (it was 1/2 of the starter set about 4 years back) that's a great start. Once you know your style, you can easily add more hand to hand, guns, whatever you like.

Wood Elves aren't the easiest to use, no. But, you are (likely?) going to end up painting a sizeable amount of miniatures, which can take some motivation - thus go with what you find most appealing. I've played most of the armies in the game at some point - and still always end up going back to my Wood Elves....

That said, Ogres are a cracking army - their battalion is a good deal and it is really quite easy to make them look good painted.

Scout

I actually forgot one tidbit in my original post--while it remains the case that little is currently floating around about wood elves in the rumor mill, there are two things: a plastic treeman is in the works, possibly completed, for a pre-new army book release (not unlike the VC new dragon that came out 6 months before the book).

Also, in Storm of Magic, the wood elf spell was a counts-as high magic spell (like the Lizardmen spell). This suggests that they are planning, or at least considering, eliminating the lore of athel loren and making wood elves a core rulebook only army for magic (like Lizards, Brets, and Empire). This also suggests that some amount of work on a new wood elf book has been done. Also, wood elves have not received any magic cards yet (and are one of only two armies--them and WoC who have not). Since WoC are expected this year, it stands to reason that wood elves are also in the works. But again, almost guaranteed to not be 2012. 2013 looks quite possible.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I got my starter set in the mail last week an am currently researching paint alternatives to the GW brand (which I will post in the appropriate forum). I got my GF the Ogre Kingdoms rulebook and will eventually be getting the Dwarven one as well soon.

Hopefully we'll be getting our painting practicing done this weekend on the starter army whilst we get a better grip of the rules.

Welcome! Get painting.

Good luck to you! I haven't played since the starter set was Bretonnia and lLizardmen and even then I tried a couple games and nobody was really interested. Now I'm starting up again and building some High Elves. I'm running into the same problem of having someone to play but luckily my best friend is moving across the country in a couple months and he plays Tomb Kings so i will finally have someone to play with. The mini rulebook is the way to go and make sure you check out Army painer primers and brushes. Dont forget to look at some cheaper options than buying full price and have fun. I can't wait to play Fantasy and it's a nice change to 40k.