BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SoB Exorcists vs Rending Heavy Bolter Retributors

For 280 pts I can take 2x Exorcists w/dozer blades (better hide in ruins and forests) or, for 264pts, I can take 3x Heavy Bolter Retributors (w/4 Heavy Bolters and a Sister Superior w/Storm Bolter).

In theory, I should be getting 7x 48” shots of STR 8 AP 1 with the two Exorcist tanks, but, despite the averages, I seem to get 2-3 shots instead of the 7 I should be getting from them.

On the other hand, with the three Heavy Bolter Retributors squad, I reliably get 36x 36” shots of STR 5 AP 4 and 6x 24” shots of STR 4 AP 5 shots with 1 or 2 teams getting Rending. Additionally, a couple of attacks will not likely even take out an entire squad in cover (even if they’re hit with a low AP blast weapon) whereas a couple of good hits could easy disable/destroy both Exorcists.

The Exorcists seem too unreliable to count on. They would be more agreeable if they fired 1d3+2 shots each turn instead of 1d6 shots. Too bad the designer didn’t see it that way (not to mention, it’s a ‘one hit wonder’ since it only takes a single weapon destroyed to nerf it useless).

So how do my other Sisters of Battle (all 1 dozen of you!) players like to make the best use of your Heavy Support slots?

Chapter-Master

Mix them up. Both are pretty good, so instead of limiting yourself to one's strengths and weaknesses cover your bases. Neither is so much stronger than the other that it's an obvious choice.

Believe it or not, very few top tournament lists are that spammy. Aside from a few examples like Goatboy's 50 Grey Hunter 1750 list, a list is almost always stronger with a wide range of flexible units.

So, take one squad of Retributors and two Exorcists. I'd keep the two Exorcists because Sisters otherwise lack long range firepower.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I generally agree with Darklink. Both are pretty good, and you should probably have both. The Exorcists are more mobile, have better range, and are better against some targets (though not most) while the Retributors are more durable and have better damage output against most targets, but have less range and no mobility.

Play one of each. I'm not sure whether I'd advise two Exorcists or two Retributor units. I'd try both.

I seem to roll way more 1s and 2s than the other numbers when determining the number of missiles my exorcists will fire. Since the numbers of attacks I roll with Exorcists are so persistently low time and time again it’s not really worth just taking 1 of them. I might go with 2 Exorcists and 1 Heavy Bolter Retributor team for the upcoming league I’m participating in. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I seem to roll way more 1s and 2s than the other numbers when determining the number of missiles my exorcists will fire. Since the numbers of attacks I roll with Exorcists are so persistently low time and time again it’s not really worth just taking 1 of them. I might go with 2 Exorcists and 1 Heavy Bolter Retributor team for the upcoming league I’m participating in. Thanks for your input!
    This is one of those times that relying on your experience for analysis is a bad idea. Bad luck sucks, but believing that bad luck is somehow persistent is irrational.

Or, perhaps you need better dice. GW and Chessex dice roll consistently more ones than sixes. (I actually sat down and tested this, once, rolling a thousand Chessex dice, ten at a time, onto felt, and I got 23.6% more ones than sixes).

But yeah, not that big a deal. Glad to help, and good luck in your league!

Comparing Exorcists to Retributors is like comparing apples to oranges. They both have different roles on the battle field. As mentioned Sisters lack long range firepower, which the Exorcist is the only long range punch they have. The random sucks but that is part of the allure I guess.

I usually put more gals in my Retributor squads. I try to go 8 strong at least. Those that I play against focus on the Retributors because of the rending. The extra bodies helps buy me some time to allow the heavy bolters to do some damage.

Two Exorcists and 1 squad of Retributors is the way to go. That is how I have been playing my heavy support slots since the Witch Hunters codex came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkadactyl View Post
    Comparing Exorcists to Retributors is like comparing apples to oranges. They both have different roles on the battle field. As mentioned Sisters lack long range firepower, which the Exorcist is the only long range punch they have. The random sucks but that is part of the allure I guess.
    I never get why people say "apples to oranges" as if apples and oranges were things that are difficult to compare. They're really not--in fact, apples and oranges are very similar, and quite comparable. They're especially comparable when you're deciding which to buy--they both occupy essentially the same role in one's diet and eating schedule, they cost similar amounts. When you buy fruit, in fact, you're routinely deciding between buying apples and buying oranges--and of course you're comparing them.

The same is true for Exorcists and Retributors. They cost similar amounts, they fill the same slot in the force organization charge, and they overlap significantly in terms of what targets they can engage effectively.

Retributors and Exorcists are very comparable, and since you basically have to at least some of at least one of them to have a competitive you really have to compare them.

Apples to oranges is basically a rubbish response--a cheap cop-out. These units have to be compared, and comparing them is not that difficult, despite their somewhat-differing roles. Frankly, when you're building an army, if you're not comparing every unit against every other unit that you could possibly take for the same points, you're doing it wrong--which means that not only is apples to oranges a lousy response here, it's pretty much always a lousy response everywhere.

Brother-Sergeant

Personally, I field Retributors more than Exorcists, but that's mostly because my Exorcist isn't painted yet. I'll probably wind up fielding them together in some sort of mix. That's just because I haven't had much luck on taking vehicles down with Retributors. I'm not saying it doesn't happen or doesn't work, just that I seem to have better luck targeting infantry.

The other thing to mention is that I find Retributors generally more expensive than Exorcists. The simple reason being that I tend to like to include a Simulacrum Imperialis with the unit and some extra Sisters for some ablative wounds and extra shooting with 24". If you're going with a minimum sized unit of five, it can work, but it can also get shot up pretty easily; just like any other MSU I suppose.

I mix it up. Two Exorcists and one squad of HB Rets. I find anything less than two Exorcists makes them hit-and-miss.

Battle-Brother

My friend plays 2 exorcists and a large squad of retributors, and we play once a week Sisters versus Orks. From our games, I have deduced that going heavy killa kanz or trukks is just a bad idea. If I'm not outnumbering him, his exorcists pick me apart, and if I don't bring lootas, his retributors constantly cause trouble somewhere else. On average, I am playing the same general list each week (except when I try to be different, and lose quick because of it) I have given up on kommandos because his 1500 force is very mobile and because of certain bits of comfort (deployment is repetitive because he likes to nominate a "snipers nest" pregame, and its usually high up).

Normally, for myself to have a chance, I have to flank with deffkoptas as well as move a large baiting unit in the middle for his Jacobus' deathrhino. Lootas have to trade shots with the retributors, and hopefully win the numbers game, all the while leaving whichever other units to pressure him or entice him to flame/melta my guys. And after the bait is taken, hopefully I have units left to close the trap (if there is one left!) Needless to say, I think the games all play out the same.

To what the topic and others have discussed, I think 2 Exorcist and 1x Retributor is a good mix. I don't think highly of the stormbolter and would much rather see a regular boltgun on thy leader. I have only played against the heavy bolter varient of retributors, but I would be very interested to hear if anyone fielded any with multi-meltas, heavy flamers, or completely vanilla. Would I ever field my friend's SoB, I would probably want to field 2x retributors and 1 exorcist, with one retributor squad geared less stand and shooty. Exorcists definitely need the armor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast