BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i know 2 sisters players and one of them runs 3 exorcists. even though you have less true anti infantry firepower they do hae awesome anti vehicle and anti elite infantry shooting. sisters have enough anti infantry firepower, they lack long range anti tank and exorcists fill that spot greatly.

Librarian

There is only one list that three retributors cannot reliably deal with, and that is mechanized Wave Serpent Eldar with their "only one die" shenanigans.

Don't forget that you can also toss a unit with heavy flamers into a rhino, rush them up the side, and boom--rending HFs in the opponent's backfield.

Brother-Sergeant

After 20+ games with the WD Codex I'm fairly sold on the 2 Exorcist and 1 Retributor squad with heavy bolters. Honestly I feel 3 Exorcists might be better but I lack the models to try it. I like the Retributors cuz they're cheap and survivable but even with rending I've yet to knock out anything really impressive with them whilst the Exorcists have been consistently devastating and hard to kill. Whatever you choose I really believe 2 Exorcists are mandatory in a good SoB list. Retributors are optional...

It depends on what else you have in your list.

I'm currently running a foot list and use one multi melta squad and two heavy bolter.

When I run immolators and mechanized - I run all three Exorcists.

Two Exorcists and one heavy bolter is probably the best compromise.

I would not run a single Exorcist though - all the anti tank will make it the prime target and it won't last long.

I'll admit I haven't run many games with the wd Dex, (pretty dissapointed in it) I have had a few games and Sisters were my go to tournament army with the old dex, so weigh accordingly with my advice. ^^

I usually take three exorcists in any tourney list I run. They consistantly deal with all kinds of threats and provide great support for the rest of the army. I like the mobility they have and their av 13 keeps the safe in the backfield. My typical battle plan is to take out threats to them as a high priority. They tend to last all game that way.

I've really been meaning to experiment with rets, but I've never cared for their lack of mobility. I would say also that as far as a 5 girl squad goes, its probably much easier to damage or wipe them out than it is the exos, and each hit you take from the rets hurts.

That said I think they're still viable and would be okay taking 2 exos and one ret squad. Hope this helps!

I run as many excorcists in my list as possible at the points level. What I like about them over the Retributors is that they are more versatile, they can at worst glance every vehicle in the game something that is harder for the heavy bolters to do. They also rock at killing terminators without needing to roll a six, and the strength 8 can get most things with Instant death. I just think all around the Excorcist is a better choice.

I think the higher the points game, the more exorcists you'll need. The lower the points game, the more powerful/useful the retributors are. When you get up to 1850-2500 opponents can really field a ton of armor and hard targets for exorcists, but in lower points games the retributors are able to threaten the enemy's fewer (and therefore more precious) scoring units. I sort of agree that your heavy support should reflect your special weapon choices throughout the rest of the army, however, I'm finding more and more that a balanced mix of specials are the way to go and the HS are based on the size of the game.

But wait... what about penitent engines!?!?!?!
    "It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Battle-Brother

in my experience the exorcist is usually the way to go. that 48 inch range and ap1 really help your army out by popping transports and making sure you can control the speed at which the enemy comes at you (or runs away). i personally almost always try to take two if points allow and they really need no upgrades except maybe extra armor. but you can skip that if you want and hope your shield of faith will protect you.

also retributors are really just anti-infantry and well your army already does that pretty well already.
    so if you have to choose just one i say exorcist. but if you got points two exorcists and a squad of heavy bolter rets wouldn't be too bad. i know i just said you already do anti-infantry well but a little more at better range doesn't hurt.

I have played sisters for a while and I cant imagine a list that didn't have good answers to vehicles. I played back in fourth and fifth though when armored company existed, eldar players were completely mechanized, same with tau...my sisters had a tough time back then with out my exorcists, so I could just be thinking off old out of date habits.
    Last edited by Moonley; 03-29-2012 at 08:51 AM.

And then there are crazy, off-the-wall, wtfmathhammer games like I just played, where my Immolator killed three Rhinos and a Land Raider and my Exorcists and HB Retributors did jack squat but let the other guy laugh while he rolled cover.

Science, what have you wrought?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12