BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Have you challenged a partner to a game of 40K?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 56.10%
  • No

18 43.90%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by celestialatc View Post
    I got my wife to paint one model, then never again. Totally not her thing. I try to invite her to play but she has no interest. I think you should take heart they you have someone who you can play regularly and is forcing you to be a better player.
    This one is strangely familiar. Although she has picked some of the lingo via constant osmosis of me talking with gaming buddies she still is not interested

Veteran-Sergeant

Immo,
    thats awesome that your girlfriend plays 40k i wish my fiance would get into it but i guess after reading some posters situations i should be lucky she supports my hobby and she even helps me paint my armies, she also recently bought me a black hoodie with an aquila on it, and a dark blue inquisition shirt

Edit: we also have a not so soon to be gamer(10 week old) but the day will come mark my words!!!! lol

and i feel the need to mention she loves star wars and lord of the rings
    Last edited by Sinistermind; 03-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

My girlfriend is the one who actually got me into the game. Before meeting her, I hadn't looked at 40k as more than just something neat other people do.

Now, we're building opposing armies together... Necrons for me, and Chaos Space Marines for her

I'm lucky enough to not only have a girlfriend that plays 40k, but Fantasy, Lord of the Rings, Hordes/Warmachine, and Malifaux too... and on top of that, she works for the largest game store in the area. Does she beat me at my own game(s)? Not yet... but I'm sure the day will come, and I look forward to it!

Veteran-Sergeant

I've had girlfriends interested in the painting aspect but never in the actual game itself. I even had one who really loved the chaos daemons, and the grosser the model the better. That should have been a sign...
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Brother-Captain

My wife is a gamer, but not a wargamer. We've been in loads of tabletop role playing games together. I consider myself lucky that she supports my interest in the hobby, even though she's not into it herself.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: one of the foundations of a lasting relationship is that you take an interest in eachother's geekness. You may not be into what your SO is into, but one of the best ways to show you love them is to at least try to appreciate it.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

I've had a few exes that have gotten into the game at my behest and one that was already playing when we got together.

My first loved painting and was actually really excited to play the game too. She bought a ton of Daemons and refused to play until she was fully painted... We finally got our first 500 point game in and she would be absolutely pissed every time she lost a model... It wasn't long that we realized the game wasnt for her, and Daemons especiallys werent her thing because she couldn't handle losing models.

My next one had started Space Wolves right after we got together, he wasnt exactly a strong painter or player but he was enthusiastic enough to be enjoying something nerdy that I was enjoying, and thats what counted... Eventually the relationship came to a close and he wanted nothing to do with the game anymore... So I ended up with some free Space wolves out of the deal.

The other person was someone I happened to hook up with at a local con, a full range sci-fi con with no 40k on the first day but full events the 2nd and 3rd. I didnt even know he played 40k but after a night of drinking and ending up at my place making bad decisions we headed back to the con together. After arriving we headed our seperate ways... It wasnt until pairings were called that we ended up across the table from eachother that we realized that we were 40k players. Douche ended up tabling my 4th edition Necron list with his leafblower... And that was the end of that.

Chapter-Master

My wife plays Malifaux with me. I made the mistake of letting her win the first game. Typically I do this because then she might play again, but in this instance, it made her read near every strategy article that exists for her army.

She not routinely lays the beat down when we play. In our most recent match, she wiped my Arcanists before I could wound (not kill, wound) one of her guild models. It was ugly.

And then, oh yeah, she talks a serious, serious amount of smack. Like, we're talking Rucker Park levels.

It used to be fun...but now it's just demoralizing.

www.queencityguard.com

Scout

My wife refuses to play any game involving tactics or strategy with me, not even checkers or Risk.

The closest I can manage with her is Monopoly, and only with help from my kids.

Lucky guy! The closet my wife gets is trying to feed the cat my dark eldar wyches. She wants to film a video where he stomps through them like a monstrous creature. The wyches are yet to agree to the terms...

Other than that its just a hobby that shes not interested in.
    Gamer • Painter • Designer • Englishman
    http://levitas-master-artificer.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast