BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Best Starter Army?

Hello,

I've been painting 40k models for the last year, but really haven't started playing the game. I have models from GK, Ork, Necron, SM and heir codexes. Which is the most forgiving beginner army?

Thx

I would say space marine just because I find Space Marine armies are cheapest to come by, they are tough and easy to learn. However, I would say which side inspires you? What back story intrigues you? Play a few games, if possible, with a friend to see if you like any faction. Watch some games and see what you like. In the end, the game is about fun, pick whichever you think is most enjoyable.
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

Chapter-Master

Grey Knights. Cheapest to build and easiest to learn the basics quickly. Literally everyone else is doing it, though.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Consider Blood Angels. You can build out a small force and get to know the rules using what are basically marines with a better curve (taking assault marines as troops too), then really open up the versatility of the Codex as you grow. Most marine boxes work with Blood Angels, as well you'll get access to some really great kits like the Sanguinary Guard, Furiouso, and Death Company.

Chaplain

Necrons are pretty forgiving and you get that nifty Reanimation Protocols roll.
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

There is nothing like power armour to help you if you get caught in the open or into a bad assault.
    Grey Knights!
    Power armoured armies are also in general cheaper

Yeah, my top pick would be Grey Knights or Space Wolves. Marines are the classic starter army, and they tend to be fairly forgiving, but with the way the Codices are right now, vanilla Marines just aren't that good. I wouldn't advise a new player to start with an army that is likely to leave them frustrated and jealous when looking at the toys of other very similar--but essentially better--armies.

Grey Knights and Space Wolves are definitely at the top of list for Power Armor armies, and that makes them my top picks.

Also, Dark Link is right--Grey Knights are surprisingly cheap to build, and they have wonderful new plastic kits for all of their basic stuff, which makes them particularly rewarding to build.

Librarian

Definately Space Marines of some type. Very forgiving and reasonably inexpensive. You might think about vanilla marines (basic space marines, aka no Angels, Wolves, Knights, or Templars) too. For those of us who have done it, one of the more satisfying things in 40k is to invent your own chapter with your own fluff. It makes your army totally unique and really yours.

Battle-Brother

I would def say some form of SM to start off with, although my first was IG and I've never looked back. :P

See if your friends would be up to allow you to use your SM minis in a couple of skirmish games to represent all the "space marine" codexi out there: space wolves, dark angels, blood angels, grey knights, black templar, generic SM, heck, even CSM.

You'll find that they are pretty forgiving to play and are generally good all rounders (some more than others).

Enjoy!

necrons aren't too bad. If you buy 2-3 battleforces and a unit of lychguard, you are good to go.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast