BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Marines also have the advantage of sharing similiar wargear to quite a few other codexs, such as GK, BA, SW, and imperial guard, meaning you already know some of your enemies rules too boot. Space marines also have the widest range of plastics kits, and are much easier to convert.

Brother-Sergeant

Another vote for Marines. You can always find used models to build an army quickly and they're forgiving to play.

Another reason is that with a few models you can play multiple codexes to get variety out of one set of models. I know some people think this is cheesy when a veteran converts to the newest SM army "flavor of the month" but for a beginner, most people would understand.

Scout

space marines for sure(any flavor)., probobly orks next just because of the starter box. I also really like the necron battle force.

GK. Easy to paint, low model count, models can be changed around to represent various things, thus making it easy to build all kinds of lists from a limited number of miniatures.

Default orks

I think orks are really a perfect starting army, not much to painting or a lot if you choose to. you can pick up any unit and just run them at your enemies and have fun win/lose or draw. I agree about space marines because they are the poster child yeah but they always seem like a more tatical approach to getting my friends into the game.l

@ Ravenger:

What is a Ravenger?

Battle-Brother

probably marines for ease of play, however, my vote is necrons for short time of assembly and paint.

Battle-Brother
    Northern Quebec, Mistissini (near Chibougamau)

Having played most of them I would say necrons. You have solid troops that can take a beating, and even when they do go down, they tend to get back up with the right upgrades. Another big benefit is that the models are expensive points wise, and actually give some of the best pts for money values available in 40k. Lychguard are both pricey in-game, and with a good online price quite cheap. The annihilation barge also is a great deal, since building it leaves you an HQ on foot. So for a decent army to play out the gate a battleforce, an annihilation barge, and a box of lychguard gets you quite a good force (although a couple of lords will help a lot). This is also quite a decent sized beginning force.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345