BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ghost/Doomsday Ark hybrid: now with 50% more update!

So, I picked up the Ghost Ark/Doomsday Ark kit over the weekend. I set about making it as a Ghost Ark, but without the driver ('cause I'm not really into the aesthetic of Necrons driving stuff). While I was nearing the end of assembly, I realized I had lots of room in the "cockpit" area for something.

So, I decided to try to magnetize the Doomsday cannon to it. I sliced and diced away at the Bastion set's AA lascannon mount until I ended up with this:

(you'll notice that I filed down the Imperial-looking skulls and replaced them with shaved down Necron heads from the Ark kit)

Reasonably happy with that, I made a few more cuts to the base of it and slid that bad-boy right in that big open spot:

I haven't magnetized it yet, but I'm thinking of 5 or 6 contact points for it (one in each corner and one each where the middle curves up on the ends)
    So, what do you think? I'm hoping to get quite a bit of use out of it.
    Last edited by the_puritan; 03-29-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Dang that looks a lot cooler that way
    Shiner me!

I like the aesthetics of the Doomsday Ark's cannon and the way it's part of the ribbing. I like that you kept that incorporated into your conversion, and you certainly did a lot of work to try to bring it together.

This seems too.... "human" though. It would be just like one of us apes to slap a gun on something. =P

I agree with Orminah, its a neat idea and one I wish I'd have thought of though. I have seen someone magetize the warriors and the gun so both could hot swap insides the uprights so the model could fulfill both roles as needed.

Brother-Sergeant

Great Idea and very simple
    Wish I had thought of it before doing my magnetising

Ironically, the placement of the gun has precedent on the Annihilation Barge... Not to say that isn't human-looking too...
    Maybe great minds think alike?
    ;-)

Brother-Sergeant

Its a clean conversion, and I would not have a problem with it.

BUT how much higher is that doomsday cannon than the normal models? Even an inch or two higher could be a significant advantage for LOS purposes, and you may get some complaints from other opponets.

Hrmmmm... You're right about the height difference. For what it's worth, it also sits further back, so I lose an inch or so of range (which could be huge in certain games)

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Thiazi View Post
    Its a clean conversion, and I would not have a problem with it.

BUT how much higher is that doomsday cannon than the normal models? Even an inch or two higher could be a significant advantage for LOS purposes, and you may get some complaints from other opponets.
    From the 2 options you can have for gun placement you are only gaining 1-2"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast