BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Default Any tips for using a Librarian?

I got a librarian the other week, though i've had plenty of fun playing with it i dont think im using it to its full potential. The games i was playing at GW let you recycle your HQ so i just went a bit crazy with it. Most specifically which are the best psychic powers to use?

Thanks

(P.S Im a no-frills Space Marine codex user)

Occuli Imperator

Alot depends on how you intend to use the Librarian.

Gateway of Infinity is a great power if you want to hang back and do some last minute

Smite is very good at taking down heavy infantry but with a limited range you'll probably looking to be charging when you use this

Machine Curse is good if you are facing fully mech vs. bugs it is useless and as it only casues glancing hits might not be as effective, though you are always guaranteed to shake them.

The Avenger is great vs MEQ but again has limited range

Vortex of Doom my favourite power, AP1 S10 Large Blast yes please, though if you take this you'll have to take Terminator armour/Bike otherwise you'll fall foul of the move/fire rule

Force Dome gives a 5++ save to his squad, is useful, but if attached to Terminators its moot

Quickening useful for an assault orientated libby I10 + Fleet

Might of The Ancients this combined with quickening is good fun S6 power weapon attacks at I10

Null Zone forces invulnerable saves to be re-rolled very good vs. elite infantry but if the opponent has no invulnerable saves its a bit waste.

The two pairs of power I use with Codex Marine Librarians is Gateway + Force Dome for using with Sternguard or Null Zone + Smite for taking out elite infantry like Terminator units.

The Avenger, coupled with a squad with flamer in a rhino, is a very good combo, and a relatively cheap one, and leaves a second power slot open

Scout

At 2k points I find myself running 2 librarians with gate and avenger. Most of the time they shut down a large bubble of psychic powers as I'm covering 4 feet of space at best, and then I use them as needed. Sometimes they teleport with some tac marines to reinforce a unit or act as a speed bump or throw avenger on something and absorb a charge--then teleport out of combat leaving the unit in the open. Other times I'll take another tac squad and drop them on an objective to contest or grab for myself. They're a great toolbox.

Don't forget the force sword, too. Being able to land a blow against an MC or demon prince and insta-killing him is a nice touch.

I do occasionally run a libby in terminator armor, but his main goal in life is to be a pain in the ***. Storm shield, gate and vortex. He's basically just a mobile S10 AP1 heavy weapon and difficult to kill.

Honestly, your choice should be Null Zone plus whatever else you want. NZ is sweet against so many armies given the preponderance of Invulnerable saves these days. Daemons, terminators, flickerfields, Iron Halos/Rosariuses, etc. Most armies have a few, usually on valuable assets.

Brother-Sergeant

I've found that a good way to use a librarian (especially if you keep him cheap) is to use him defensively with force dome and gate of infinity. This works especially well with important shooty units or units coming out of a drop pod.

I usually keep my librarian with either a tactical squad or a sternguard squad to so he can throw up a force dome. a 5+ invuln is better than nothing when it comes to all the low AP stuff that gets thrown at them.

As for Gate of Infinity used defensively, you can use it in to get away from dangerous units that would turn yours into a pulp, or to jump in offensively for some rapid-fire goodness. Careful though, as it is dangerous for others to use the gate of infinity. I would only do this if you don't really mind losing that one Sternguard or Tactical marine that will be sucked into the warp forever.

Also, gate of infinity is good for objective grabs near the end of the game, teleporting a footslogging tactical squad to an objective has saved my butt in the past.

*edit: I agree with people who use null zone (as mentioned above), I just use the above combo more often due to the fact that I find it to be very adaptable to changing game conditions and I run into more low AP shooty bad guys than I do invulnerable saves, but hey, that's just how my local gaming area is made up I guess.
    Last edited by papa smurf; 03-22-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

also with something only slightly off topic, has anyone here been successful with the 'might of the ancients' and 'quickening' combo? I feel like that would be a good choice for a librarian to just throw down some assault phase death. Never actually seen anybody use it though. maybe a librarian with a jump pack or terminator armor, depending on preference for speed or defense.

Don’t have overdue books!

Now seriously. I have seen a Liberian with terminator armor, null zone, and gate while attached to a SS/TH squad played a lot. It usually never fails to impress.

my advice would be pay the extra points and get a storm shield. There nothing more anoying than him getting picked off or killing him self with perils.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast