BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heresy? Not the kind you're thinking...

I know this is gonna get flamed, but I'm a huge lover of the 40k fluff, but I'm tired of Space Marines winning against all odds. That's the theme of almost every BL novel. What are the best sci-fi stories in the BL collection? I like the first 3 heresy novels, I like Gaunt, love most of the characters actually, but I'm looking for the GREAT story in the 40k Universe.

Having read several BL novels, I can give you several recommendations. The HH novels Mechanicum, Deliverance Lost, A Thousand Sons, Fulgrim, Legion, and Know No Fear are the best HH novels I have read. They are all excellent and don't have that space marines are super awesome and cannot lose. I specifically enjoy HH books about traitor legions as it gives better insight into the primarchs and what they experienced during the heresy. On that note, the first heretic was ok, but Aurelian was way better. Heck, Mechanicus isn't really about space marines. While I haven't listened to the Garro trilogy audio books, I heard that it's really good and gives you a back story to the inquisition, if that's what you like

For non-hh, I recommend Titanicus. This book is excellent and probably one of the best non-space marine books I've read from black library. For a lighter take on 40k stories which are a little more humorous, I recommend the Cain series. While it may seem that Cain also suffers from the "badass and can never lose" syndrome, you have to remember when reading is that Cain is a propaganda piece by the imperium. The Gaunt stories are great. Abnett is one of the best, if not the best BL writer. My space marine recommendation is the Soul Drinker Series. I didn't get the "we are invincible badasses" feeling from these books, but one more of survival. They're a renegade chapter who's still loyal to the Emperor, but not the imperium.
    Last edited by bladeofdeath3; 03-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks. I'm gonna try Garro. I loved Ben Counter's dark dark Grey Kinght novels...the black ship sacrifice of psychics for their armor was sick wrong and awesome.

I skipped mechanics and Aurelian but sounds like I should read them.

Thanks.

Chaplain

I loved the Ciaphas Cain series. There a bit lighter and more tongue in cheek than the rest, parodying or pokijng fun at the grimdark occasionally.

Brother-Sergeant

Flight of the Eisenstein is still my favorite 40k ever written, however if you're looking for something that portrays the space marines as deeply flawed individuals who are all-too-human then go pick up Gav Thorpe's Angels of Darkness. Everybody dies at the end of that one... It leaves your world rocked.

Personally I'm more of a fan of non-Space Marine stories - The Eisenhorne Trilogy and Audio shorts being my fav. Prefer to hear about non-near indestructible citizens of the Imperium than otherwise.

Brother-Sergeant

Personally, I like anything by Abnett or and would hugely recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts, Ravenor and Eisenhorn trilogy for some non-Marine action.

Dembski-Bowden is rather good and quite dark - the Night Lords novels are worth a look and give a grimmer perspective than the normal marine books.

I would steer clear of the Space Marine battle book (except Hellsreach) as they are rather poorly written and marine win in the end easily.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Scout

Don't worry, coz SM in game are not nearly as powerful.

As for the books, well... I only read BA omnibus, which I hear is not very good, and recently started reading tHe Horus Risinig... But I found that I'm more interested in more general fluff facts I learn on the way than the actual story.

"Daemon World" Was a surprisingly good read that has little to do with the imperium.

Any inquisition book. Marines are outsmarted or killed in "Atlas Infernal," which is a great read anyway.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Koineboy View Post
    I know this is gonna get flamed, but I'm a huge lover of the 40k fluff, but I'm tired of Space Marines winning against all odds. That's the theme of almost every BL novel. What are the best sci-fi stories in the BL collection? I like the first 3 heresy novels, I like Gaunt, love most of the characters actually, but I'm looking for the GREAT story in the 40k Universe.
    Storm of Iron, by Graham McNeill

Without spoiling too much for you... Imperial Legion, Imperial Fists, Adeptus Mechanicus, Khorne Berserkers (World Eaters), the ****ing AVATAR OF RAGE itself, Iron Warriors Legion, and a couple of Tzeentch-aligned Sorcerers and Titans sprinkled in for extra flavour...

All of them battling on the same desert world for one particular reason that doesn't make sense unless you read book 3 of the Ultramarine series.

Enjoy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast