BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Snow Bases - How to do them.

The title says it all really. How do you add snow to your bases? I'm looking for a patches of snow effect rather than the whole base covered white

Thanks in advance

Default Snow 101 from RedScorpionsGirl

I learned to make a wet slurry for snow. It's a really simple one, and it looks good for patches of snow, as well as on rocks and such (for example the rock base the High Elf Dragon is on.. The proper consistency allowed me to have snow across the rocks without having the whole thing white or flock fuzzy)

Quick Instructions:

- Take a plastic container of some form, a small one, and put about a tablespoon of snow flock in it. (you may make too much this way, but it's easier to give a larger amt. and let someone cut it down and make it how they see fit)
    - Add about 1/2 tsp. of pva glue to this
    - Add a small amount of water to this, and stir.
    - Keep adding water until the consistency is a slurry, which will stick, but not flow too much to create patches of snow. you want it to be very grainy, and not too watery, otherwise it will not work right.
    - when you can use a paperclip to scoop the mixture out it is the right consistency.

Before adding it to the base, I would suggest painting the areas you are going to put the snow with fenris grey. It gives a good base color, and gives the snow a colder look (in my opinion). It also gives a good base for the snow, as it doesn't seem to stick well to a bare base.

Apply at will to the base to create your patches, making sure it is thick enough you really don't see the color under the base, and smooth it out a bit. Let it dry for upwards of 8 hours, and you will have snow, that isn't fuzzy, but looks slightly melted and smooth.

I found this way looks really cool, and as long as you add enough glue to the mixture, it will not curl and peel off. If you don't use enough glue, that is what it seems to do (had it happen already). Depending on the container you use, you may even be able to save it for a bit so you can finish a few bases later on, but I wouldn't suggest for very long as mould will develop fast, and depending on where you are it will dry out very quickly.

Hope this was helpful!

Battle-Brother

Brilliant. I'll try that and see how it goes

If you have any questions when you do it, give me a shout, either here, or my email [email][email protected][/email].

Maggy

Chapter-Master

The way I do it, and I can't claim this as my own idea, is using Microballons in a 1:1 mixture of PVA glue. Microballons are actually used as a joint hardening compound for model airplanes (the ones that fly!) so it dries nice and tough and looks surprisingly like real snow.

I mix it, apply it where I want, let it dry for around 5-10 minutes, adn then sprinkle some more Microballons on top to give it that glistening snow look.

Works really, really well.

Chaplain

You can always just go get some spackling from your local hardware store. Works great for patchy snow. Put a glob down with your finger then use a brush to give it a windswept look.