BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default What would make good 40k expansions

Hi people of BOLS time for you to decide what would make good 40k expansions (I personally think WFB should have an expansion, can't think what though).
    My own ideas are naval conflicts-thats conflict on sea not around your belly-button-and aerial conflicts. I know that there is aeronautica imperialis but I would like something that focusses on adding dogfights and bombing runs on normal games like in recent wars.
    Give me your ideas NOW.

Chaplain

Expand the universe into space. Perhaps support for a game based around a famous naval action - say, the Gothic War. You could call it something like, I don't know, Battlefleet Gothic. Love to see support for a game like that.

Brother-Sergeant

I would like GW to release a Campaign book. The rules for which would include numerous different forms of campaigns and ways inwhich to run them. I would like chapters in the Camapign Book to be broken down into different types of campaigns, as well as how turns should work and the like. Certain campiagns are inheritly more losey goosie then others, some require pins to represent the armies moving around a map, others require special tokens.

It would also be really cool to simply have a different champter be dedicated to ways inwhich to make each of GW established Games into a Campiagn such as 40k, Apoc, Kill-Team, BFG, Combat Patrol, Cities of Death, Planetstriek, etc...

Possibly chapters could be Narrative Gaming, Map Based, Branching Campaign, etc...then each of those could break down and detail about each game.

I just feel the GW has an open market on the Camapign scene and just lets gamers deal with it. This is not a negative around my local gaming store becuase we have a few really dedicated campaign gamers but we would still like a book that had further details and ideas.

I would also like to see a Kill-Team only book. This book with be filled with ideas for sceneiors/ missions and even possibly ideas for campaign. New and better written Mutable and Immutable Laws. I would also like to see the book have 1 entire page dedicated to each of the codexs. The page could have background, a special mission and Kill Team Special Rules for each army. Ideas could include some of GW establihsed White Dwarf articles on armies like Tyranids who get to break 1 Mutbale Law for free (with thier opponent getting no benefit for this).
    "If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night, but if you set a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life."

Chapter-Master

Well, me and my gaming group have been working on our own expansion for 40k, which is aquatic based. All the models are converted..but it has stuff like aquatic imperial guard, submarine necrons, fish/jellyfish-like tyranids, ork pirates ect... So that is pretty much what we wanted to see.

Official capacity, id like to see Epic and BFG made into "expansions" and given new support ect.

Veteran-Sergeant

Since GW have been dancing around it and handing off opportunities for it to Forgeworld how about a new and improved Lost & the Damned?

If not that then the Stunties really deserve a well thought through IG Codex.

Chapter-Master

I agree wholeheartedly with the need for Expansions to WHFB. I mean, why is there not a siege expansion?

As for 40k... I'd love to see a supported tactical expansion that allowed for growth of your combat squad, ala Warbands in fantasy. We most likely won't ever get it, but I think it'd be fun.

Battle-Brother

I would like a book about soft targets such as Imperial citizens, Tau colonists, Nid spawn swarms, supply convoys for any army, etc...
    They could be mobile objectives that can be destroyed or actually have some game value more than that
    It would add an extra level to game play, making it more like the action in some of the fluff.
    How much fun would it be to decimate the cowering civilians your opponent was trying to protect?
    I've tried home rules for this but an official book with supporting miniatures would be fun (doubt it would happen as GW would be shy of saying "go on kill the women and children, thats how you win" to little 12 year olds)

Chaplain

I think trench/seige warfare would be kind of cool... although I agree that A) Epic and BFG are already great systems that deserve more play and B) Fantasy could use an expansion. I think Naval warfare actually fits more here than anywhere else.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

A boarding actions expansion, kinda like Space Hulk but more grounded in 40K and with all armies. Sisters of Battle boarding Tau transports, Chaos Space Marines trying to capture Imperial warships, Orks attacking Eldar on their wraithships...

And there's always that old idea of Marines boarding hulks in space that happen to be Tyranid infested.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chapter-Master

I like the boarding action idea. Back home, we did just that. We had a 4x4 board with cardboard walls for the hallways, and played all infantry and walkers and a few other custom rules. It was really cool, and great for smaller games of 750-1000pts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast