BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Too.....Much.......Paint.

I just can't imagine ever needing that many color choices for painting tiny little guys and their tiny little tanks. I think its great that GW is offering these for the folks who might need that much variety in their paint case but for the great majority of the enthusiasts it is complete overkill in my humble opinion.

I am very pleased that the price remained the same but I'm really surprised that they didn't make the uber mega paint set a much better value. For $400us they would have sold tons of them and still made a killing.

The reason there are so many paints is so people don't have to mix them to get good highlighting anymore. It is actually a rather good idea. I'm quite a good painter but I really, really hate mixing paints. I either mix too much or too little, it isn't exactly a problem but it is irritating. Now I won't have to bother quite so much.

I'm rather hoping one or other of the textured paints will help me create snow bases much faster, too.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

The reason there are so many paints is so people don't have to mix them to get good highlighting anymore. It is actually a rather good idea. I'm quite a good painter but I really, really hate mixing paints. I either mix too much or too little, it isn't exactly a problem but it is irritating. Now I won't have to bother quite so much.
    completely agree.

Im not an amazing painter, but having a couple of golden demon badges from entries i like to think i'm fairly good, but one of my pet hates (mainly due to being lazy) is mixing up a color than then dries out before iv'e finished. Iv'e tried and invested in wet palettes which are good but i do prefer a solid tile or something. A greater range means less need for mixing and hopefully a more varied look to peoples models.

I went into my local store to try out some of the new paints I Cant say in the few mins I played with the texture paint I was grabbed by it but I guess I will get some.. I am a sucker it seems. I dunno if this was posted anywhere else but here is a old to new paint conversion chart: [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2320032a_Citadel_Conversion_Chart"]click[/URL]

Brother-Captain

Thanks for the conversion chart!

I'm glad the new paints have so many close companions to the old ones - it does unsettle me a little though that there are some paints that are said to be closest matches with 2 of the older hues, though...

I'm sure matching them won't be too bad, but I'm still going to get as much life out of my old paints as I can (except washes/shades...go through those like crazy. but a black/brown wash is still going to be a black/brown wash).
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

I went to my local store here in Edinburgh this afternoon for a little nose about. Saw the base white being applied and was very impressed. Also, they had some bits white undercoated and were splashing some shade and glaze green on them--results looked very good indeed--be very handy for painting my Mortis Engine.

Oh, although the pots are the same, the tops were different. They had---wait for it---a little lug to keep the top open!!! Not the same as the one on the 'old' foundations paints but a much larger and stronger looking one.

See, GW DOES listen!! (Yeah, right)

Definately handy for the "lazy" painter. I switched to Vajello Game Color years ago, specifically for the range of colors, and no need to mix. This is taking it one step up.

I still use GW washes and foundations... this might bring me back slowly... certainly wont be buying it all at once!

How are the Drybrush paints? It seems like they'd essentially be foundation with more pigment.

Are the stores stocking the entirerty of the new line yet? I prefer to take a look at colours in person, I can't trust my monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post

I'm rather hoping one or other of the textured paints will help me create snow bases much faster, too.
    The texture bases, are actually quite good, I've been able to base 5 of my marines with the mud one at my local gw.
    The stores are releasing the paints in two weeks, and the starter set does indeed have sculpted DA shoulder pads. Also, the store manager actually tipped a pot of dry on me, but nothing came out, the paint actually stayed in the pot. The gloss varnish will no longer be 'glossy' so now is the time to stock up.

There are also a variety of nifty painting cards to indicate how to paint ares of the models.
    The agrax earthshade (devlan mud) was darker than the devlan, and most of the paints will NOT remain exactly the same, with slight changes to the colours. The nuln oil was also shown in my paint card to have a less watered down consistency, and provided less of a wash, and more of a solid colour.
    Last edited by hammer hades; 03-24-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast