BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Horus Hersey series' end?

Okay, we're 18-19 books in. We've come a long road from 2006's Horus Rising, and I've got to admit, its been mighty fun. But now I'm getting annoyed because I really want to see a narrative form of the big battle between the Emperor and Horus. I also know that I'm not the only one with this mindset.

And so, based off of nearly 20 books worth of emphasized and re-re-re-re-edited cannon lore (depending upon your favorite race or faction) how many books do you think will come out before the end and what (if anything) mystery or event would you most like to see explained? Keep in mind that it only applies to Heresy-era events and prior.

I'll start: I'd say about six books from the end and I'd like to read a book from the Big E's POV as I'm intensely curious of his side of the story. Lol, the guy needs some character development!

Chaplain

I think it would be cool to see the book about the Emperor (as you suggested) done as a short story anthology a la Age of Darkness or Tales of Heresy - containing essentially a series of vignettes put together by the ensemble of BL writers. That'd be much easier to pull off convincingly than a whole novel narrated by the Emperor.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

The heresy lasted a little less than a decade. Seeing as it took 19 books to get to the pre-siege of terra, I think there's going to be at least 10 books. Looking at Black Library's website, they have 3 books already announced and possibly a 3rd (an e-book, mp3 or whatnot about Angron and his fall). 2 of the announced books are anthologies (The Primarchs and Shadows of Treachery). I feel the Dark Angels will probably get a book telling the story of Luther vs the Lion and whether the Lion was truly a traitor or not. If we're not counting anthologies, that's 3. The white scars will probably get a book chronicling their story from the end of the great crusade to arriving at terra. We'll probably see a couple of siege of terra books. I want to say at least 2 traitor and 2 loyalist books (the siege and the battle on the vengeful spirit). Finally, I hope to see books about the Iron Cage Incident (Imp Fists vs Iron Warriors) and the Duel on Eskrador (Ultras vs Alpha Legion). That gives us about 10. I'm hoping for more though (individual novels about Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Iron Hands, Salamanders, and Death Guard). These chapters don't have a book about them and I'm sure some pretty interesting stories can be crafted about their battles and history during the Great Crusade and Heresy.

I think we are not even half way there yet.

I reckon BL will want at least one book about every chapter, with some getting more than 1.

So far, we have had

-Sons of Horus
    -Emperor's children
    -Word barers
    -Death Guard
    -Alpha Legion
    -Thousand Sons

-Space Wolves
    -Dark Angles x 2
    -Space Wolves
    -Raven Guard
    -Ultramarines

We are going to get a book on the Blood Angels.

So that leaves at the very least one book each on:
    -World Eaters
    -Night Lords
    -Iron Warriors

-Salamanders
    -Imperial Fists
    -White Scars

Out of the 19 HH books so far, we have had 2 anthologies, and 4 'other'.

It would appear that with 2 anthologies already planned, the ratio between 'core' and 'other' books is set to get worse. But if we stick with 1 in 3 HH books being an 'other' for now.

On top of that, there will be a minimum of 2 books for the Siege of Terra itself, and it seems very likely that we will see at least one book each for:
    -AdMech
    -Dark Angels
    -Death Guard
    -Space wolves
    -Alpha Legion

So, we are look at somewhere between 9 and 15 more 'core' books, so between 3 and 5 more 'other books'.

That will only just get us up to the Siege itself. BL will likely extend the series to cover the fallout and aftermath of the HH with more books.

If they want to, they could stretch this series out for many more years, and as long as it continues to sell so well, BL will have every reason to milk it for all it's worth.

First-Captain

Plawolf, just like GW you forgot the Iron Hands. We have had a few mentions and an appearance in Fulgrim obviously. But they aren't on your list.

Librarian

while the iron hands have not had much love from GW, its understandable....... manus was decapatated

Battle-Brother

You know, the more I think about it, I'd also like to see a book for the Ullanor battle preceding the Heresy but that probably is just so much fluff.

How about the Battle of Terra told from the eyes of a soldier in the Imperial Army? Might be interesting...

I really want to have a book that focuses on what happened with the Salamanders and the Iron Hands after Istavan V. I'd really like to find out how Vulcan, got off the planet, and how those two utterly decimated chapters coped with the rest of the Hersey.

The 3 loyalist legions on Istvaan V were so mauled, they could only retreat and rebuild. Deliverance Lost quotes that the raven guard started with 80000 marines are were reduced to about 3000. One can assume the Salamanders and Iron Hands suffered similar casualties. I don't think Vulcan's escape could be put into an entire story, but definitely a 100-page anthology story.

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    Plawolf, just like GW you forgot the Iron Hands. We have had a few mentions and an appearance in Fulgrim obviously. But they aren't on your list.
    D'oh! My apologies for the omission!

The Iron Hands should have emerged from Isstavan massacre with much of their strength intact.

The Emperor's Children crippled most of the Iron Hands' fleet when Fulgrim failed to convince them to turn.

Manus was so eager to visit his revenge on Fulgrim for his betrayal that he rushed to Isstvan with only his Morlocks while the rest of the Legion made repairs.

The Iron Hands lost their Primarch and all the terminators at Isstvan, but the bulk of the Legion was not there to be betrayed and massacred.

However, the Iron Hands did not play any more significant role in the Heresy.

Was that because GW forgot all about them as I did? Or is it because other factors?

If it is the latter, it definitely deserves a full novel to explore, and doing so would offer a very unique prospective to show us how a Legion deals with the death of the Primarch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast