BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What army did you start off with?

I'm getting interested in FOW but I've no idea as to what army I should start. There just seems to be so many options out there.

What army did you start off with and why?

Veteran-Sergeant

I started with Germans, I like the look of their armor and you can make effective low model count armies.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

Brother-Sergeant

I started with Soviets, opting for the T-34 army. From there it expanded to 120mm Heavy Mortars, Pioneers, SU-85s, and kept going. Now I've got enough infantry to run *most* infantry lists, and I'm now just picking up units that I'd like as opposed to focusing towards building specific lists. I figure if/when I get enough, I'll be able to run almost anything.

I have begun looking at other nations as well. I really want to build a US army, and I've also been contemplating Romanians for a potential Axis list. But the one that has really caught my eye, has been the Polish Home Army. It just looks like a fun conversion opportunity.

I started with the Canadian 3rd Infantry from Monty's Meatgrinder.
    We were worried about how balanced the game would be, so our little group all agreed we would do infantry companies.

Given that I am the token Canadian of the group, and the MM book had just come out, it seemed a natural fit.

My second army then, was naturally the .21 panzer, which faced off vs the Canadians. It made sense to choose a force from the same book and have an historical enemy available. I had no idea the .21 used such specific vehicles, and travelled down the rabbit hole, getting lost in the uniqueness of my army.

Librarian

Got XXX Corps Irish Guards out of Hell's Highway!

by extension, it can be used for other British Armored lists as well!
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

US Para, because I was watching Band of Brothers while I finished painting my 40k Orks and it motivated me to start that army.

Canadian armies in FOW???

The more I learn about FOW, the more I realise how little I know about it. Could someone list all the nations that are available for play?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Far Seer View Post
    Canadian armies in FOW???

The more I learn about FOW, the more I realise how little I know about it. Could someone list all the nations that are available for play?
    Well, the first thing to remember is that the nations available are different in each time period.

Early War focuses mostly on British, German, Polish, and French armies, though I'm not sure if there's any I missed. My understanding is that they are planning on bringing Soviets to Early War, since technically Barbarosa occurred during the Early-War time frame (1939-1941). All currently supported nations are found in Blitzkrieg.

Mid War features the "Big 4", being the Allied nations and Germany, as well as *most* Axis axillary forces. This means the Allied Forces consist of British, US, and Soviet, while the Axis forces consist of Germany, Hungary, Romania, Italy and Finland. British, US, Africa Corps Germany and Italy (iirc), are found in the Africa book. While Eastern Front Germany, Italy, Finland, Hungarian, Romanian, and Soviet Union are found in the Eastern Front book.

Late War is pretty much the same as Mid-War, with more stuff added in. You still have the "Big 4", but 3 of the auxiliary nations can be either Axis or Allied. Those 3 nations are Italy, Romania, and Finland (iirc). Otherwise you still have Germany, Hungary, US, British, and Soviet as well. Western Front Allies are found in Turning Tide , while Western Front Axis (Germany) is Earth and Steel. Soviets, and Romanians are found in Red Bear, while Grey Wolf features Germany, Hungarian, and Finland. On a side note, Poland is also found in Late War within the Red Bear book. Poland gets one list, based around the Polish Home Army during the Warsaw Uprising, and it actually looks to be a lot of fun to play.

On a side note, the British forces also includes all their subsidiary nations as well. So there are lists available for Canada, India, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, and probably a few more that I'm forgetting. Also of note is that the US have the Nisei Batalion (Japanese-American). Battlefront also has quite a few PDF lists posted on their website, so some lists can be found there (such as the Soviet 'Black Death', or Soviet Naval Infantry Battalions). These official PDF lists can be found on their site under 'Hobby', and then 'Briefings'.

The one nation you will have a hard time finding, is Japanese. And that's because Flames of War focuses around the Western, & Eastern European, and African theaters. I do not believe they currently have plans for a Pacific Theater.

US Paratroops.

Great story and not too expensive (dollar wise).

Brother-Sergeant

I started with British Desert Rats (I play Skaven in Warhammer). I liked the idea of a very mobile commando force. Was very challenging against most other armies. I've since sold them off and am looking to start another. Still deciding myself.

Sinsinatus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast