BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I started with Early War Soviets cause I love really crappy multi-turreted tanks!
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

i started with late war soviets, both udarny strelkovy(shock infantry) and haevy tankovy(mainly KV), but now i'm thinking about west or axis. I like "funny" or "difrent" armies. I'm thinkng about greks/maori rifle; romanian alied tank list with panzer IV/Stug's and alied Rusian Sherman or Lee company, mayby some polish, french gouam or nissei(American-japonesse) from italy theatre; or American TD company or German Beutpanzer (Captured Tank) company with early war Hothiks or Char-B tanks.

I started with LW Germans, because I like the aesthetics of their vehicles and their rag-tag uniforms, as well as their playstyle. Plus Mounted Assault and Stormtrooper are amazing rules. I've been running a Heer Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie, and I love it so far. Though I need a little more anti-tank...

Scout

I started (recently) with LW Germans, and am currently intent on using a Panzergrenadier Lehr Kompanie.

I went with LW as that's what my group plays and Germans as they do a lot of campaign play and I wanted to keep sides balanced, as 2 others had just started US right before I joined.

After a couple 'learn to play' games using a tank company made up of my friend's Panzer IVs and Panthers, I learned the value of tactical flexibility that comes from the combined arms approach, though wanted the extra anti-tank punch that Lehr provides.

Only gotten one game in so far with my Lehr (against a company of churchills) but I'm definitely sold on them.

I built two armies to start - a small Desert Rats force and a small DAK force. Strictly all-tanks, so that I'd have two little starter forces that simplified some of the rules. That way I could break them out and show someone the game, without worrying about assaults and digging in and artillery and all that jazz.

The DR had three Grants and six Stuarts, the DAK had three Panzer 3J, and two Panzer 4s - an F1 and an F2. It was always funny to see people's reactions to the armies - The DAK were outnumbered, but they certainly had quality on their side.

I ran it at Gencon a few times, it seemed to be very easy for people to get in to the game.

Initiate
    Virginia just across the river from Mordor

I decided to go with German Paratroopers and Panzer Grenadiers...now all I have to do is get them painted. Hope to use them at the next gaming convention I attend in November.

Made a small change and am going with an SS Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie...I have enough for two infantry platoons, an anti-tank platoon, a recon platoon, and an assault gun platoon.

I'm still also building a Fallschrimjager Kompanie, with mortar, anti-tank, mg, and pioneer platoons.
    Last edited by GCGordon; 12-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.

I started with a German LW PanzerGrenadier Company and have never looked back. I love the challenge of a Mech Inf force and I always seem to learn something new with them.

Battle-Brother

I started off with the SS. I am in the process of painting the 2.SS-PanzerDivision "Das Reich". Due to my "Got to own it all" complex I have acquired over the last 2 years the
    I/2.Battalion with 12 Panthers,
    II/2.Battalion with 12 Panzer IV
    3.SS-PanzerGrenadierRegiment "Deutschland"
    I/3.Battalion with 3 platoons of 3 squads each with transports
    2.SS-PanzerArtillerieRegiment
    II/.Battalion with 6 15cm sFH18 Howilitzers and transports

I also have a couple of Stugs and Grille's and a Tiger platoon as well as Micheal Wittmann and Ernst Barkmann. It all adds up to about 9000 pts of SS. I really don't know why I choose the SS except that I am a history buff and I like bad guys. I also find that every model has camo on it, so that presents a challenge to me and my painting skills. I am learning and enjoying the heck out of paint 15mm soldiers.

I have my eye on a American Ariborne force as well.

LW british infantry company for me, as my grandad fought in france, Belgium and the Netherlands in the royal sussex infantry and its another way to remember him.

I started with Germans, Americans, and Russians.
    I added Canadians, then British.
    I added a Finnish company.
    My last army was Hungarian late war.
    Base units are 2 German Para Coy (mid and late including early glider Pioneer assault), SS Panzergrenadier (gp). and a VG company. Armor units can be a Recon Coy, Tank Coy (early 41, and 42-45), Tiger Coy (I or II or mix), StuG Coy. Wespe battery, Nblwerfer battery; Armored MRL battery, 105mm horse drawn FA battery.
    Canadians have two infantry coy, one in Kangaroos; and Shermans as support tanks, 25pdr battery and Sexton battery.
    British uses Canadian infantry and Churchill tanks.
    Russians is an Inf BN with 2 full strength R/MG Coy and 1 full strength SMG Coy, T34/76 BN, or T34/85 BN and IS-2m BN. Support includes SU-76m, SU-122, SU-152, ISU-152, ISU-122, SU-85, SU-100 and tank destroyer batteries (45mm, 57mm and 76.2mm plus 1 122/L43 field piece), FA Battalion with 6 122mm FH and 12 76.2mm (4 1939 guns, the rest ZIS-3)
    Americans include 2 Sherman Coy 1 mid and 1 late; Infantry Coy with BN support; Armored Inf Coy, 105mm FH battery, M7 battery, TD battery with either M18, M10, or M36 GMC, Light tank Coy with M5 Stuart and 1 platoon M24, and an Armored Cav Sqdn (M8 armored cars - missing jeeps except for 1 platoon).
    Finns have an infantry Coy, 1 T26 tank, a 100mm FH battery.
    Hungarian forces are based on a StuG company with Hungarian 105mm StuH, 2 platoons of infantry and 1 of Pioneers, HMG platoon, mortar platoon, 100mm FH battery, 40mm SP AA and a Pak 40 ATG battery.

I think I went overboard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast