BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran-Sergeant

i wouldnt like to pre measure in 40k cause you never really get used to guessing accurate distance which in movement and shooting is very handy if you can estimate 12" 6" etc for charge range etc

I don't like the idea of pre-measuring. Heck, I remember when there were guess ranges. I would park tanks in my rear corner and use the Pythagorean Theorum to own opponents.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

I'm not as well-versed in 40K as most here, but I've done my share of miniatures wargaming. My concern about pre-measuring is that it can bog games down terribly. There certainly are players who could do this efficiently, but I suspect that's not most players. My experience with it has been that it easily doubles the length of each player's turn, as distances are measured and re-measured even before a single piece is moved.

Chapter-Master

I don't care either way but I feel this would be as Hive7777 says, a way of slowing down the game, as opponents take the time ti line up exactly the right shots and correct orders of units to maximise their fire.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think it would be worth play testing at the very least. I think with time, like anything else, and practice, see previous commas, people would get pretty good/quick with moving their models and pre-measuring things quickly.

In this you should ask why you want premeasuring. The argument could just as well be about how the inaccuracies of what is essentially the fastest new age of warfare are what make the fluff. Are you really going to have time to plot out range and scope every time you shoot anything? In a world of lightning quick nids and orks on speeder bikes.... it's safe to say you cant expect that. Warfare has only gotten faster and faster, and this is impossibly far in the future.
    However, tanks with built in targeting systems, that would be kinda neat...if you just simply made premeasuring an ability or attachment.

I will not support something that changes the game just over people who rage quit their matches off of inaccuracies they made and the commander of the army.

Battle-Brother

Personally I don’t see that premeasuring makes much of a difference to the game as people have pointed out before if you have modular gaming boards then you can pretty much tell the distances, in fact so much so that I know a few people who whilst not fully refusing to play on modular terrain they don’t like it as they see it as dumbing down.

Personally I think it is a bit odd not being able to pre-measure as essentially the troops are making the decision to fire on the unit they fire on and they would be experienced enough to decide that their fire would be ineffective against a target over their max range and fire on something else. (Mind you in real life snipers can take targets out over 1 mile away in favourable conditions so its not exactly realistic)

I personally would welcome premeasuring as it is a major advantage in noob vs experienced player games and would level the playing field a little for more tactical play and a little less – being cautious because I could end up ½ an inch off assaulting play

Brother-Sergeant

Pre-measuring isn't as big of a deal as people are blowing it up to be, IMHO. 40k could probably do with a bit more pre-measuring. There are already units that can pre-measure in 40k, and if anything it's more balanced when everyone can do it. It also only really slows the game down if you or your opponent suffers from Analysis Paralysis... Which is not the game's problem. Several other systems (beyond Fantasy) utilize a pre-measuring system, and do so without any real slow-down. Many of those games are even more decisive, with a much greater focus towards strategy, because of it.

Although in all honesty, I'm under the opinion that 40k needs a lot more than just pre-measuring..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123