BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Painting tutorials?

Hey all:
    I'm wanting to step my painting up a notch and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for good DVD's or books to learn from?

Chapter-Master

it depends what sort of level of painting your looking for? some good sites that are free and have GREAT tutorials are
    (google them)

from the warp (great for all painters)

massive voodoo (these chaps are world class but that dosnt mean you cant pick up a trick or two )

[url]http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/[/url] (some nice tutorials here)

corvus miniatures

so go check them out!
    and remeber that practice makes perfect!

-fuzz

oh dear i appear to have done no self promotion 0_0
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

I dont know if it is an option for you, but the seminars at Adepticon have taught me much. Especially Mathieu Fontaine's classes. They're the only one's I have been to where I feel like I was challenged to try new things I had never thought of before to the betterment of my painting.

But even the basic classes will teach you new ideas on how to approach various elements of your approach to painting.

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!
    As far as level of painting, I feel that I have a decent idea of some of the basics, layering, dry brushing etc. But I would still count myself a beginning painter. I'll definitely check out those websites, there seems to be a dearth of painting tutorials and its nice to have a starting spot.
    As far as Adepticon goes, no luck there I live in smaller gaming community and its a bit of a trip to any of the major events.
    Is it worth investing in any of the DVDs or books around or can you find just as quality instruction for free online?
    Thanks again.

You'll also want to check out all the old Brushthralls articles. The site hasn't done a proper update in years, but the info is still solid:

[URL="http://blog.brushthralls.com/"]BrushThralls main site[/URL]

They also have a bunch of archived stuff that never made it through the site redesign:

[URL="http://archive.brushthralls.com/"]BrushThralls Archive[/URL]

Some of the original authors still check in with their own forums, so it's a good place if you have questions:

[URL="http://forums.brushthralls.com/index.php?"]BrushThralls forums[/URL]

DVD wise, there's not a lot out there for a beginner. Most of the stuff CMON sells is aimed at advanced painters or is so specialized that it's not all that good a starting point. I think Privateer press has a beginner's DVD, but it will be completely skewed towards HoMachine and the P3 paints.

I'm sure if you Google search for them you'll find tons. Youtube and Coolminiornot have tons of great tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by TorinBlack View Post
    Hey all:
    I'm wanting to step my painting up a notch and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for good DVD's or books to learn from?
    Maybe the new book and DVD combo from GW will be what you're looking for?

Brother-Sergeant

GW's recent book collecting many of the best White Drawf "How to paint" articles was quite useful. It has unpublished painting tips in it as well. I found it usefull and I've been painting 20+ years. They don't sell it any more so you may need to hunt ebay or teh forums or some online shops. GL

Sinsinatus

[QUOTE=Sinsinatus;188722]GW's recent book collecting many of the best White Drawf "How to paint" articles was quite useful.
    What's the title of that book? I've looked at the "how to paint citadel miniatures" book before and haven't been real impressed.

Thanks! There looks to be some amazing tutorials in this set of links.
    1. There are female marines and my Sunhawks will explain it to you.
    2. We are the Emperor's Children and we WILL redeem our honor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast