BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Exclamation How big is to big for an army

That's the question I would like to know. just counted up my troops and have 30 ten man squads SMs,10 scout squads at ten men and I'm not counting the ones on spurs. and Im not done counting yet.........points wise for my whole army is 80,000 more or less

No such thing as too big, I have 60,000 points or so of Eldar and approaching 20,000 of Dark Eldar.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    No such thing as too big, I have 60,000 points or so of Eldar and approaching 20,000 of Dark Eldar.
    Then I need to make more room or there own house then.

Brother-Captain

I have to ask, how the heck do you store 60k+ points of Eldar or 80k+ of Marines? Does it all live in army transport cases, or have you got a room full of display cabinets to house these sort of collections? My collection is a fraction of this sort of size and I'm already running out of space to store it.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    I have to ask, how the heck do you store 60k+ points of Eldar or 80k+ of Marines? Does it all live in army transport cases, or have you got a room full of display cabinets to house these sort of collections? My collection is a fraction of this sort of size and I'm already running out of space to store it.
    bookshelf's and cases and thats not enough

While my addiction is not as bad as some... I tend to use army cases for models that are painted (except my orkz which live in plastic bins so they can get a realistic chipped look . I use book shelves for unpainted minis. They do take up quite a bit a space... perhaps why my wife told me I had to paint up an entire army before I can buy new minis....
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

Not quite in the same amounts as eldar girls but I have around 20'000 eldar, 10'000 dark eldar, 18'000 space pups, 10'000 blood angels, and around 20'000 daemons. and yes house is abit full.

If your friends and loved ones hold an intervention then it's too big. Until then, rock on!

Brother-Sergeant

Honestly, we're involved in a hobby which encourages collecting, at least one some level.

I tend to break folks into two loose groups: the first are folks who collect large quantities of an army/faction or two; the second is the folks who collect lists, essentially, of multiple armies. It's like good and evil, they're both fine choices if you have to make one.

Myself, I've currently got 6600 points of Orks and around 1800 points of Sisters of Battle. It's growing of course, but that's largely because I like to paint. In fact, I think it's safe to say that painting represents the majority of my hobby time. I doubt that's a surprise for anyone here.

In terms of the overall size of a collection, it's pretty simple. You're finished collecting when you're finished collecting and it's too big when you think it's too big. I would say that when you have more miniatures than you'll ever reasonably play with or you're literally running out of storage room, you should probably at least look into being rid of some of your stuff. Perhaps you sell some models off or give them to a friend to start them in the hobby. Perhaps you decide that you want to keep your entire collection and then look to alternative ways to store and/or use it. Any of those are valid choices.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    1) No such thing as too big as long as you're still having fun.

2) I've always been way too ADD to build up an army of that size. I hit 2 or 3K in an army and even if I love them, I instantly want to try out another one. If with my beloved Imperial Guard, I keep moving around (old Cadians and Steel Legion to new Cadians to Vostroyan...) and can never keep it together to build up armies that large. When I see them during Apocalypse games though...they are sights to behold...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast