BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother
    Northern Quebec, Mistissini (near Chibougamau)

Default New Paint Challenge

So with the new paints coming soon (well not so much for as I live in the cold nethher regions of Canada and the mail will be slow) I have decided to see how well this new system of paint types works by getting back at my Night Lords. I ordered all the paints I think I will need from all the catagories as well as the book and new brushes with the intention of painting up a squad of raptors that needs finishing and try to match as close as possible what is already done in the army. I will take step by step photos of the process, as well as photos of the squad I have already finished for comparison of the new paints versus the old paints. I will use this to do a small review on whether or not this has all made it easier, as well as a review of the book and the dvd.

Now for the "Challenge". I am interested in seeing how many other people are interested in doing the same thing so we can kind of make community review out of it so that it can be as apprehensive as possible. Another benefit of this is that we can have painters of many skills do the same thing and find out if it is a bigger change for different skill levels.

I myself am an average painter. My models look nice on the tabletop, but are not going to win many awards so I am very interested in seeing if the ability to skip things like mixing and making my own colors and glazes will improve my quality, as well as seeing if the kind of order the new paint range has created for painting step by step is helpful.

So anyone else interested in this? No rush to get started as I do not expect to see my paints before Easter Monday, and will need a couple of days to get organzied once they do arrive.

Battle-Brother

Yeah Night Lords!

Chapter-Master

So the challange is to see how well people can paint night lords once they get hold of the new paints? Sorry if I'm sounding obtuse, I'm currently at about 30 hours without sleep...

Not sure what people who don't collect chaos and have no interest in owning night lords would really think of that. Or it is to match their own colourschemes with the new range?

Having played with the new paints at my local GW over the weekend, I get the impression things will be much the same in many respects, with the main differences being how easy it is to get a good solid colour (especially on difficult colours like red, yellow and white) as well as mastering certain techniques because of the highly altered formulae of the paints (especially the textured and drybrushing paints).
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Sergeant

I'm waiting to see if there are some early independent product reviews before investing in this massive new line. Depending on the info I come across, it may be time to move to Valleho or some other "triad" paint.

Chapter-Master

Well they are at the very least no worse than GW's current line, though the formula doesn't seem to take to being watered down in quite the same way, so it will take a little getting used to. The greater variety in both colours and types if paint should also prove interesting. Especially the dry brush paints (lot less wasted paint) and glazes
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Battle-Brother
    Northern Quebec, Mistissini (near Chibougamau)

Yeah, doest help that I am long winded (or fingered in this case I suppose). What I mean is people paint up a new unit for an army they already have painted models for, and then show comparisons, give opinions, tips and tricks they learned, etc, with the intent of giving the community as a whole a clear idea how the paint works from the view of average painters.

The reason I do this is that I don't want to hear some pro tell me its crap end of story cause he gains nothing from it, yet not realize this is because he is just that, a pro and so to him paints are paints. I figure I am not the only one who wants to see first hand what some average painters (and I admit some better than average ones as well) think about the way GW layed out this new line in a way that to me says there is meant to be a system to painting now. Which is what I have always wanted from them to be fair since I am just not good enough to properly mix the exact colors I need sometimes, or quite understand how to make a glaze.