BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magicks in 40K

Librarian

Default Magicks in 40K

Kinda sorta taking a cue from the knowledge of Chaos thread below and my own wandering mind, I had a question.

Is everything "magical and/ore mysterious" in 40K based of powers of the warp. I don't know if there have ever been recorded examples of it. I guess that is really the question. Is all "magic" in 40k warp based for the sake of Chaos being Chaos and trying to eat your soul?

Battle-Brother

I would say almost certainly yes. Magic in fantasy comes from the warp, and the only source in fantasy of power that isn't technological is the warp. Users of the warp are also sometimes called sorcerers (which can cause confusion) but it's still the warp. I can't think of any instance of something that wasn't explained away with the warp actually.

Joe

Occuli Imperator

It is all warp based, but isn't always a gift of chaos. Some people have access to the great ocean and can tap its limitless powers and through proper training can ward off warp attacks. But its one of these things that if left unregulated then the use of pwoer becomes intoxicating and so more and more power is sought and so the bargains are made with warp entities and that's when the Inquistion gets a little ticked off.

Though if you read Dan Abnett's work he sometimes talks about enunica which is a forgotten pwoers which can be used by anyone who knows how to enuciate it regardless of thier innate ability to tap the warp

Librarian

Yes, if you're talking about Chaos Space Marines, Cultists and Daemons.

No, if you're talking about Dark Eldar and Necrons, who don't use psykers. All their "magic" is super-advanced science (which they let the lesser races call "magic" because it strokes their egos). Remember that by-and-large all real-world "magic" and "miracles" are simply natural events percieved by a human without the scientific knowledge to explain them.

not entirely malton
    technically any use of soul energy is warp stuff - the warp is the sea of souls.
    as for necrons, that keeps changing. Originally they had inertialess drives, now it seems they use the warp or the webway.

A couple of unknowns come to mind...
    Ork teknologee and Waagh! have never been explained as a warp power as far as I know. Both seem to rely on orkish faith.
    Also, Tau Ethereal's empathic ability is unknown in origin as well as far as I know.
    And, the Sisters of Battle faith powers, where do they come from?
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitorsog View Post
    A couple of unknowns come to mind...
    Ork teknologee and Waagh! have never been explained as a warp power as far as I know. Both seem to rely on orkish faith.
    Also, Tau Ethereal's empathic ability is unknown in origin as well as far as I know.
    And, the Sisters of Battle faith powers, where do they come from?
    The Waagh! effect is usually described as a latent psychic field of the orks, so that'd seem to indicate they impact/use the warp.
    The diamond on the Ethereal's head is said to be a phermone, it's heavily hinted that it makes other Tau act subservient to them.
    As for the sisters of batte - strong emotions and faith can impact the warp, sooo might be related.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    The Waagh! effect is usually described as a latent psychic field of the orks, so that'd seem to indicate they impact/use the warp.
    Further more in codex Orks, Gork & Mork are discribed as Warp Gods...

Brother-Captain

Aye, but orks are the single most retconed thing in 40k. I'm half expecting them to be sentient candy for the C'tan in the next codex.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    Aye, but orks are the single most retconed thing in 40k...
    Remember Squats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast