BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: How'd the Flayed Ones become tainted?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Llandu'gor was a manifestation of Khorne.

1 4.17%
  • Llandu'gor was a demonic minion of Khorne.

2 8.33%
  • Llandu'gor was a rare C'Tan that became tainted by Chaos prior to his downfall.

3 12.50%
  • The Flayed Ones became tainted without Llandu'gor's influence.

2 8.33%
  • You are giving Ward far too much credit.

6 25.00%
  • What?! Chaos Necrons?! I won't hear of it! (la-la-la-la-la)

9 37.50%
  • There is no Dana ... Only Zuul!

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Flayed Ones: Chaos tainted Necrons

At this point I'm going to give Ward the benefit of the doubt and assume he was not just being unimaginative. With that, it's pretty much a "no brainer" that Flayed Ones are actually chaos tainted and not suffering from a "C'Tan curse." I mean, come on - they're sporting mutations, they have an irrational lust for blood, they come and go from the shadows at will and they have a hidden fortress in a "pocket dimension." <cough, cough, EYE OF TERROR, cough>

So, the fluff says the Flayer's Curse was the dying act of the C'Tan Llandu'gor, but I think it's fairly obvious that's a red herring. The question is, then, how'd they get the taint?

Last edited by Necron2.0; 03-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

When I read it, I didnt see Llandu'gor as chaos corrupted but I did see him as a C'tan corrupting the necrons with the Flayer virus. I don't really see why chaos has to be part of it at all?

I just saw it as a mirror of the cthulhu mythos' Nug and Yeb/Ghouls in that respect. I feel they are about as related to Khorne as the Blood Angels.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Well, like I said. I'm giving Ward the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's not just stealing from Khorne in the first place. It's kinda lame to have a chaos god that turns mortals into berserkers, and then turn around and introduce a Necron god that pretty much mimics the exact same behavior (only not quite as well).

The other issue is the Codex mentions that the C'Tan are indestructible, which is why they could only be turned into shards. However, Llandu'gor is said to have been completely obliterated. That is either something to make you go "Hmmm" or it's an example of very poor writing skill.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 03-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Captain

Hmm. Just thought of another option I hadn't considered. It could be that the original core Flayed Ones actually come from a tomb world located in what would become the Eye of Terror. Subsequent "converts" would then be those corrupted through association with those originally tainted.

Battle-Brother

I'm curious about what you mean by "sporting mutations" are you talking bout the claws, the flayed skins they wear the new scissor left hand? Not trolling I haven't read the new book nor have I seen anything different bout the new models other then there wonky poses and scissor hands.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwolf View Post
    I'm curious about what you mean by "sporting mutations" are you talking bout the claws, the flayed skins they wear the new scissor left hand? Not trolling I haven't read the new book nor have I seen anything different bout the new models other then there wonky poses and scissor hands.
    This is what is written in the fluff (emphasis mine):

"A Necron over whom the flayer curse has taken hold suffers a slow and tortuous erosion of sanity. It begins to revel in the bloody ruin of fleshed foes, and is driven to claim gruesome trophies of skin, sinew and bone. As the madness progresses, the victim becomes compelled to feast upon the fallen. It cannot actually digest or consume flesh in any sense - the blood simply seeps through the gaps in its exoskeleton to clog its joints and pool at its feet - yet still the Necron is driven to gorge itself upon gore in a doomed attempt to sate an unquenchable lust. Physical changes occur shortly thereafter, wracking and twisting the afflicted Necron's form into something as warped in body as it is in protocol and function. Ultimately, the accursed Necron simply disappears, drawn by unknown instinct to a pocket dimension beyond ours, where he will forever dwell amidst the charnel palaces of the Flayed Ones."

Of course, the most striking physical changes are the claws. Looking at the new Flayed Ones figures, it appears they also spontaneously grow trophy racks.

Arn't Necrons unaffected by the warp, and thus immune to demonic possesion, influence, etc?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Xess View Post
    Arn't Necrons unaffected by the warp, and thus immune to demonic possesion, influence, etc?
    No. C'Tan may have been, and the Necrontyr may not have had a psychic presence in the warp, but the Necrons are just machines, and as indicated in the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaunt%27s_Ghosts#Menazoid_Epsilon]Gaunt's Ghosts[/url] series, soulless machines can be corrupted.

At any rate, I do not believe the new codex mentions anything about the C'Tan, Necrontyr nor the Necrons being immune to the warp.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    This is what is written in the fluff (emphasis mine):

"A Necron over whom the flayer curse has taken hold suffers a slow and tortuous erosion of sanity. It begins to revel in the bloody ruin of fleshed foes, and is driven to claim gruesome trophies of skin, sinew and bone. As the madness progresses, the victim becomes compelled to feast upon the fallen. It cannot actually digest or consume flesh in any sense - the blood simply seeps through the gaps in its exoskeleton to clog its joints and pool at its feet - yet still the Necron is driven to gorge itself upon gore in a doomed attempt to sate an unquenchable lust. Physical changes occur shortly thereafter, wracking and twisting the afflicted Necron's form into something as warped in body as it is in protocol and function. Ultimately, the accursed Necron simply disappears, drawn by unknown instinct to a pocket dimension beyond ours, where he will forever dwell amidst the charnel palaces of the Flayed Ones."

Of course, the most striking physical changes are the claws. Looking at the new Flayed Ones figures, it appears they also spontaneously grow trophy racks.
    I liked it better when they were just driven mad by what they'd given up (bodies) and were putting on skins as a crude imitation of living creatures.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by trjames View Post
    I liked it better when they were just driven mad by what they'd given up (bodies) and were putting on skins as a crude imitation of living creatures.
    I agree - absolutely, unabashedly, enthusiastically, and 100%. In the original fluff, all the Necron Lords, Immortals, Wraiths and what have yous were hollow shadows of living creatures. For the Flayed Ones, however, the promise of immortality actually came true. They were living souls trapped forever in lifeless, cold mechanical bodies. It was a far more interesting and dynamic plot line than having them simply twisted by chaos, or the worse and infinitely less imaginative alternative of a poser wannabe Chaos god.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 03-30-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast