BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LED mods and their cosmetic value

Are led mods a "cool" thing or do most people choose not to use led off principle, in regards to only using paint to create the effects of lighting? I'm a very serious painter but I have yet to come to a conclusion, and I dont want to go led crazy and ruin a good paintjob. So I am curious to hear your opinion on led mods.

I've seen LEDs work well in a very specific case - involving clear plastic molded around them as a part of the model. Other than those, I haven't seen them used much at all, and I'm not surprised - good lighting effects are surprisingly hard to accomplish with actual lights.

Scout

I have only seen LEDs on vehicles as headlights, on the exhaustionpipes and on the weaponary. It can look cool, but if you put too much on it just looks ridiculous, more like a christmas tree or a cheap toy.
    LEDs for Lightning effects sounds interesting tough.

I saw an awesome setup on a Storm Raven at the last tourney at my FLGS. The paintjob on it wasn't the best, but the lights flashed like a real-life airliner and it turned an otherwise unremarkable model into the talk of the tourney (in a good way).

I've seen a few armies that used LEDs to a greater or lesser effect. Lit Monoliths were fairly common when the Necrons first came out. And I seem to recall a Thousand Sons army in one of the past WDs that featured an LED in each head to light the eyes.

I think the biggest issue, and really this applies to every aspect of modelling an army, is to keep the look of your models consistent. If you want to add LEDs, this will be achieved by planning out the build of your army and individual models.

Best of luck to you with it!

Battle-Brother

I think you do not see LEDs very often because it takes a decent amount of effort, planning, and testing to implement, especially if you want a subdued effect.

Here's two examples:
    [url]http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=2185[/url]
    (cough)
    [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=20302&highlight=fire+prism[/url]

The guy who did the Necrons is a good painter (certainly better than me). You'll note that he uses resistors and clear fogged plastic to get the lighting effects he wants, (particularly the destroyer and tau fire warrior). I would say that LEDs can draw the eye and bring a figure to life in a way that a sharp lighting effect could not. However, sharp painted lighting effects will win the golden demon.

I think there is a place for LEDs, particularly in vehicles with all of their details and weapons to light up (with the space to do it) and create a more sci-fi feel.

DaveLL - I originally thought that lighting would be harder to achieve as well, especially due to the scale of the models. Another on of those reasons I have yet to decide on the mod.

Jangoo - I have actually seen a some good examples of unit models with led's in the heads on google images. Those are pretty neat, but I will always like the rhinos with leds.

the_puritan - That sounds pretty awesome! It must've looked really clean on such a big piece too. No wonder it got a good reaction.

Tzelanit - This is very good to hear. If it's a matter of my ability, I feel much more comfortable. Good advice on keeping focus on consistency, that is an excellent way to go about planning out my job!

Inquiring M1nd - Jeez that Necron army looks good. You're lucky you have access to an EE, I am in the field myself and is one reason I felt so drawn to led mods in 40k. They just seem like they could work. Good choice on led and eldar too.

I think I should mention, the army I will be mod'ing is Sisters of Battle. The first model I will be working on is the exorcist launcher.
    All of your post brought some great ideas already and I can't wait to get started! I'll be sure to post up my progress. I should be getting my first piece in the mail any day now. I very much appreciate the incite.

Chapter-Master

If its done well, good. If not, don't bother. I think only those highly skilled in electronics, or immensely talented at following instructions, should try this.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I have seen LED's used for many things and have even used them myself on a model or two. The problem with them is that most LED's are washed out by the ambient light we use to play our games by. Most often the LED's are useless but they do provide a design asthetic that's hard to deny. While I liked putting the LED in my Stormraven I doubt I'll repeat the process on my Land Raider. Maybe, maybe not. I still have not decided.

They are only effective in a few specific situations. Those are:
    1. Vehicle interiors like my Stormraven

2. Jet Engines as the "thrust" - A.K.A. Blackadders scratch built Thunder Hawk

3. Headlights
    Last edited by pathwinder14; 03-27-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Denzark - I feel as if most the good jobs have yet to be documented with a good set of instructions. But I do think it takes a certain creative mind to be able to come up with an idea worth spreading, it just takes an engineer to show everyone. Hopefully everyone here can help fill any holes I come across.

Pathwinder - Good photo examples, I especially like the rhino interior. I also found, to combat the ambient lighting, you have to have a good contrast in color scheme, and "frosting" (sanding or buffing) the leds can help reduce the ambient lighting. But i know what you mean...those stupid flourescents and sunlight ruin everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast