BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Red face Help starting a RoS force

Hello,

I am new to warmachine and I was thinking about picking up Retribution. I have found Adeptis Rahn and battle mages aesthetically and mechanically pleasing and was hoping to a competitive force based around mitten-clad elves. I'm just not quite sure what other warcaster in RoS shares synergy with the same units that Rahn does. I'm trying to keep my purchases to a minimum. My goal is to build two competitive lists one using Rahn and any other caster who would likes to use many of the same models that Rahn does (or at least with out breaking the bank.) Any suggestions?

Thank you, islyfe.

Battle-Brother

I've been playing WM with Retribution as my faction for about a year.

I started with Rahn as my primary caster.

I would start with 15 pts and build from there.

Adeptis Rahn Shyeel
    Phoenix
    Sylys Wyshnalyrr the Seeker
    House Shyeel Battle Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts)
    House Shyeel Magister
    Mage Hunter Assassin

This will give you an idea how Rahn works, using his feat and using an arc node to get opponents knocked down before hitting them with the Phoenix and/or MHA.

Rahn is a good caster, but watchout for factions that can prevent knockdowns or stop magic attacks (Menoth).

I would recommend Kaelyssa as a second caster. Ravyn is great too, but needs more shooting in her list to really use her benefits.
    Last edited by tau4eva; 03-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Rahn + mittens is definitely a good combo, as his feat makes all their magic attack boosted. You might have an uphill battle against anything that can shut down your magic though, usually found in Circle and Protectorate or Menoth armies.

Out of other casters, I'm not sure who best runs the mittens crew. Ossyan fits thematically, but his feat offers more to ranged units. Ravyn's is range-based, Kaelyssa's is defensive, so equally good with everything, and Vyros's feat just wants enemies to die.

Vyros would probably not be a bad choice.

Battle-Brother

Welcome to the Retribution

Quote Originally Posted by tonyzahn View Post
    Rahn + mittens is definitely a good combo, as his feat makes all their magic attack boosted. You might have an uphill battle against anything that can shut down your magic though, usually found in Circle and Protectorate or Menoth armies.

Out of other casters, I'm not sure who best runs the mittens crew. Ossyan fits thematically, but his feat offers more to ranged units. Ravyn's is range-based, Kaelyssa's is defensive, so equally good with everything, and Vyros's feat just wants enemies to die.

Vyros would probably not be a bad choice.
    My understanding is just what tonyzahn has posted. Leaning to heavily into magic territory will see you getting flogged by some armies. One guy on the RoS board only takes one Mittens unit with Rahn to avoid becoming unbalanced.

But I do hear that what Rahn does really like is an arcnode. And so people feel that the Phoenix is actually a batman and robin combination for Rahn. And who doesn't like a Myrdmidon with a giant sword?

Houseguard are phenomenal, and incredibly versatile, and work very well with Rahn (they even fit in his Tier list, if I remember correctly), and then fit into other armies very well, particularly Ossyan, who is another very fun 'caster. Good luck, Retribution is a blast!

Scout

I play Retribution and Rahn is one of my favorite casters. The thing to keep in mind with the mittens is what their role will be in other lists. Why buy a several units of mittens when they will only be used with Rahn. Rahn plays well with lots of other units. I like the spell that can prevent a unit, like sentinels, from being charged. His self upkeep that lets you decide the direction things scatter can also help out squishy stealth units. Mage Hunter Assasins and the MHSF both benefit form this.

In short, Rahn's feat will be overwhelming without lots of mittens, but you'll have a better force with a more diverse force. Rahn's spell list is also great enough to overshadow a somewhat lacking feat.

Yeah, Rahn should generally have one unit of mittens and a Magister, but not much beyond that in the way of mittens. For one thing, he doesn't really need more mittens than that (and they are, honestly, just not that good outside of Rahn's feat turn). More importantly, though, the unit is basically balls with everyone else (the magister is alright) so you have to weigh buying more of them against buying units that everyone can use--like Sentinels, Halberdiers, and the Mage Hunter Strike Force (all of which, by the way, should almost always be accompanied by their Unit Attachments.)

Rahn is a fantastic caster--almost certainly the most powerful of the Retribution casters--and he does like the mittens, but my advice would be to not get too wrapped up in the idea of a mittens army. You'll end up regretting it. Build a more varied force, with units that other casters can use (my advice: buy the Strike Force and UA, pick one of those two melee choices and their UA) and get a few solos--definitely an Arcanist, an epic Eiryss, and a Mage Hunter Assassin.

Oh, and Phoenixes. Rahn demands Phoenixes. It's a great 'jack, and playing him without at least one would basically be a crime. Playing him with two is usually the right call.
    Last edited by Bean; 04-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.