BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Vehicle's Turret and assaulting

When a model assaults a vehicle can it assault if it can only reach the barrel of a gun for example on a vindicator? Also if a assaulting model is not able to reach it's base to a part of a vehicle but can touch its arm to a vehicle does that assault happen?

I would say it has to be in base contact with the hull.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    I would say it has to be in base contact with the hull.
    I would second that.

I'm pretty sure that the BrB states that everything happens from "the hull" of the vehicle. Except for measuring range, that’s done from the weapon its self. So assault that reaches the dozer blade fails, assault that reaches the front hull succeeds.

Also lets say that you have rotated the battle cannon of your Leman Russ 90 degrees to the side, and a las cannon shot is just barely in range to touch the outstretched barrel. That shot FAILS as it does not touch the HULL.

At least that’s how everyone I know interprets the "Hull" rule.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by emhubbard View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the BrB states that everything happens from "the hull" of the vehicle. Except for measuring range, that’s done from the weapon its self. So assault that reaches the dozer blade fails, assault that reaches the front hull succeeds.

Also lets say that you have rotated the battle cannon of your Leman Russ 90 degrees to the side, and a las cannon shot is just barely in range to touch the outstretched barrel. That shot FAILS as it does not touch the HULL.

At least that’s how everyone I know interprets the "Hull" rule.
    Agreed, but for the sake of simplicity and hair preservation, I would count the dozer blade as part of the hull. It will make everyone's life easier.

Chapter-Master

I agree about counting Dozer Blades and similar, but gun barrels definately don't count.

What about defilers and soul grinders? What counts as the "hull"? Ive gotten into MANY situations where people are confused about being able to hit my defiler. Do the legs count? What if a lascannon reaches its very extreme range landing right on the claw?! Do you have to be able to hit the actual "body/sarcophagus" in order to use that lascannon? what about assaults? Can you stretch out those arms extra long and assault with them?!

These are all issues ive had with the "hull" of this model.

any clarifications?

Chapter-Master

There's a big argument about what exactly does a "hull" mean in one of the other threads about Valkries. Some people argue that because the wings are not a "hull", you can't target the wings on a Valkrie.

The problem is that the term "hull" is never defined. And it wouldn't be a problem, except for Defilers, Drop Pods and Valkries. How do you treat the legs and arms on a Defiler, the doors of a Drop Pod or the wings on a Valkrie.

Since no definition is given for the term "hull", but the only other part of the vehicle really covered in the rules are weapons (LOS is drawn from weapons, everything else from the hull), I say that the hull is everything except the weapons and similar little bits that stick out. We can't really use the normal definition for a "hull" (planes don't have hulls, they have a fuselage), so we just have to guess as to what it means. So if you can see the wings of a valkrie, go ahead and shoot. If your opponent has a problem with that, I'd find someone else to play.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    How do you treat the legs and arms on a Defiler.
    Defilers are actually easy. Page 72 of the rulebook:

If a walker has a base, measure ranges and distances to and from its base, as you would for an infantry model. If a walker does not have a base (like the Chaos Defiler), measure to and from its hull (including its legs and other limbs), as normal for vehicles. (emphasis added)

So yes, the legs and claws of a Defiler are part of its "hull."

Drop pods doors and Valkyrie wings ... those are still a problem.

Well, that just opens a whole new can of worms. My defiler doesn't have his Arms/Legs glued in position. Since they are on Ball joints they can move around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast