BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

It's generally bad. It harms players that want a friendly, but competitive game who don't mind disclosing their armies to their opponents while turning good generals into lazy generals who don't have to manage thinking on the fly.

I play with my father every now and then and he loves to ask me a week ahead of time what army I'm using or, if we're playing BattleTech, which 'Mechs I'll be bringing over. I don't mind telling him because...well...he's my dad. Besides, I'll usually give away this info to others that I play.

What ends up happening is he tailors his 40k or BattleTech force to oppose my army and stops there. I usually end up winning because I haven't spent a week convincing myself that my army will do the job for me.

List tailoring is a crime punishable by me never playing the List Tailor eery again.

This is a game about fun for both sides. Fun does not mean lop sided victories because one sided honed his list to counter everything your army brought to the table.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    Although, few things are funnier than watching your opponent misread what you're taking, and plan his army to fight a different set up.
    "Oh, did I neglect to mention that my Imperial Guard army has no tanks and 200 Guardsmen? I suppose your meltaguns will kill a few of them..."
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

My two cents.

If I go to a store, Ill bring an all comers list to play people.
    If I play in a Tourney, Ill bring an all comers list.
    If I am playing my friends, and have no idea what they are playing, Ill bring an all comers list.

However if I want to test my army, or a friends, and we agree before hand as to whom is playing what, I will tailor the snot out of my list to put a beat down on him.

My reasoning is fluff related and simple. Take a Space Marine Force that is invading an ork/tyranid planet. Will they load up on Melta Guns or Flamers for these fights? Would I send 600pts worth of Thunder Wolves or WraithLords after Dark Eldar who ignore my high toughness with their basic weapons? Would I load up on gloom prisms vs an Army with 0 Psykers?

I have fun playing both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post

My reasoning is fluff related and simple. Take a Space Marine Force that is invading an ork/tyranid planet. Will they load up on Melta Guns or Flamers for these fights? Would I send 600pts worth of Thunder Wolves or WraithLords after Dark Eldar who ignore my high toughness with their basic weapons? Would I load up on gloom prisms vs an Army with 0 Psykers?
    That's perfectly acceptable if both players know this is what is happening aa head of time.

If you show up with a tailored list and your opponent shows up with a take-all-comers list, then that's not fair.

Discussion avoids unfun moments and arguments.

Exactly

LOL the only loss Ive had with my Necrons was the time I showed up and my friend "accidentally forgot" to finish his list. Strange how it ended up being all close combat Dark Eldar....

Although, few things are funnier than watching your opponent misread what you're taking, and plan his army to fight a different set up.
    what would be nice and true , If A all armies could tailor B tailoring didnt mean armies with better dex[aka more options to build armies] just got much better and those that dont got worse C if an army is actualy well tailored then why move units post deployment at all , you just check if you get two turns of avarge shoting/melee/reservs[what ever the list is build around] and you win , because good tailoring is better then hard meta .
    D there is nothing to learn from tailored matches other then better armies win because they can overcome the rules of and edition and the random rolls [the same can be done after reading 2 different codexes , so more or less waste of time for you and someone else]. E there are all comers lists which you cant tailor against with half the dex [proper build 1850 or over cortez builds for example] . if everyone plays tailored one dude plays the good all comers list then everyone else [those with old dex, those who cant meta , does who dont have the cash to by 9 double flamer landspeeders and 3 whirlwinds just to play agains their ork "friend" , those whos armies cant meta like chaos , tau or nids or sob ] is ****ed.

ah and then it makes themm quit the game , which ends with smaller community people playing the same people over and over again , more people leaving and then dead group.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234