BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Potato, err I mean Grenade!

That's right, those fiddly little buggers that no one can figure out how they work so the just dumb-ed them down so everyone can use them.

You have a Space Marine squad sitting in a forest (area terrain) and they've been shot up a little bit, some one's have been rolled so they are sitting at 5 guys strong, all equipped the same, no difference in anything. An Imperial Guard squad rolls up exactly 1" away from them, in like a giant circle around them. So if this 50man blob wants to assault them an not strike at Int 1 they better have some grenades right? Wrong, they better have some potatoes, some rocks, possibly a twig, empty soda bottle, whatever just something that's a piece of junk. Grenades are valuable, I mean str 4 plus D6 against vehicles, that's pretty good. Against guys in cover? Ehhhhhhhh not really worth it, just throw a a potato or something. I mean seriously? 50+ guys all throwing grenades at 5 space marines and not one guy goes down? The sheer number of grenades would take one marine down, but they just duct their heads and they are fine. Yeah or how about they duct their heads, 4/6ths of them are fine (2/3rds for those of you playing the home game) and we move on with the game. I mean seriously, my same guardsmen duct all the time (and some times for no reason at all) and they still get shot to pieces, but a grenade? Well we just dodge that. Oh really? I wasn't aware that you just dodge grenades now, Oh looks like you actually don't. See if I take this grenade launcher-Ahhhh I see, because it says grenade launcher that makes it so you lose your ability to just duct and be fine?

Start modeling your men/bugs/fungus/fishhorses/ninjagingerbreadmen with potatoes and grenades, that way it will be WYSIWYG.

I think the increased dead from grenades is supposed to come from the extra dead from assault due to striking faster. But I hear ya, it's weird. Especially if you have a squad of 10 vets with melta bombs, your going to tell me they're going to start swinging swords at the guys in 2 inch thick armor instead of tossing the incredibly powerful bombs and GTFO of there? Seems to me nuclear hand grenade > than sword, but that's just me.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Your potatoes could come in different flavors. Mashed, Sweet, French-fried, and Salad. Kind of like the Grey Knights grenades.

Chaplain

so true. i hope in 6th edition they add the ability to kill guys with grenades (not grenade launchers), but how they are going with rules and stuff they wont
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

they tried that, back in 2nd ed I think. The game very quickly devolved into 2 lines of troops advancing to grenade range, then just throwing grenades at each other as opposed to using any other weaponry.

I doubt we will ever go back to anything resembling that.

Librarian

What if they use German-style "potato masher" grenades. Would that be better?

i've always been a fan of the wet toilet paper roll. works just as good.

Now I have images of Jokero monkeys flinging poo at the noble Space Marine...who runs away in fear of getting his armor stink-bombed.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by roncarlin2002 View Post
    they tried that, back in 2nd ed I think. The game very quickly devolved into 2 lines of troops advancing to grenade range, then just throwing grenades at each other as opposed to using any other weaponry.
    I doubt we will ever go back to anything resembling that.
    Those crazy days of 2nd ed. Of course you had some crazy grenades, all with their own template. I mean do you remember the size of the tanglefoot grenade blast marker?!
    The only one that has surived is the vorte and only because of apocalypse.

Chapter-Master

But second edition grenades were fun!
    Remember the random behaviour of things like plasma grenades, halloucegen grenades, vortex grenades etc.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast