BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Three Stage Studios - It begins! w/ True Scale Space Crusader Heavy Armor

I have been working on a project for my local gaming group for awhile now and thought it was time to share it and to get some feed back on it and future projects.

The most popular armies around here currently are 'True Scale' Pre Heresy armies. What they all have seemed to lack is Terminators that actually match the size change with the marines in power armor. There is always talk of using chaos Obliterator models as a base but removing all the chaos detail and reposing them is a serious chore, not to mention the cost of it would be through the roof as they aren't a cheap model to begin with. Thus this project was born.

I bring you, true scale Space Crusaders in Heavy Armor. I do realize its hard to tell the size of the parts but let me just say, standing straight up, the model is taller to a normal plastic terminator as the plastic terminator is to a marine. Here is a very early mock up pose to get an idea of size.

I have since finished the master parts and had them sent to a caster. I will get back the parts to make 5 differently posed legs and 5 uniquely detailed torsos. Those will then be put on master sprues and cast in sets o 5. They are designed to fit GW/FW terminator arms, shoulder pads and heads. They fit perfectly on a 40mm base with no overhang so they are just on the right size for 'true scale' based on the various novels that talk about terminator armor.

pic limit. continued below.
    Last edited by TSS; 03-27-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: pictures were way to big.

The kit itself will be sold one model per sprue. Each of the 5 sprues will have a uniquely detailed torso and posed legs. The masters were done as they are to achieve this.

Next up is the TS4-A Cyborg Recon unit. It is a full kit as well as an upgrade to other parts if desired.

Parts brake down on a complete kit:
    2x Tracks
    1x Lower Track Body
    1x Optional Front Armor Plate
    1x True Scale Heavy Armor Torso
    1x Helmeted Head
    2x Shoulder Pads
    2x Shoulders
    1x Power Ram
    1x Power Claw

*model shown for scale

Last edited by TSS; 03-27-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: pictures were way to big.

And the tracks sprued up before casting. They can be found in the [URL="http://threestagestudios.bigcartel.com/product/small-tank-track-bits-set"]TSS store, here[/URL].

*model shown for scale

Updates on everything else and upcoming projects:

True Scale Space Crusader Heavy Armor - I have come up with a few torso designs that I plan to implement shortly in preparation for the April Release. I'm also considering offering at least 1 other Shoulder Pad design if demand is there. Overall interest has been very high in this upgrade kit and as such has officially a "First come, first serve" policy. I will however offer as many as I can.

Track Kit - Now known as the TS4-A, is done. I will have final master photo shots up shortly in preparation for casting. It will be on sale by the end of the month. Demand is also pretty high on this but not as high as the True Scale kit, at least not yet! I have a few special treats in the works for this!

The newest project - Human sized tech space helmets and re breather backpacks. Pictures of that in progress work is below.

*model shown for scale

Last edited by TSS; 03-27-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: pictures were way to big.

*model shown for scale

As you can see if fits a variety of sizes and, as I've been told, would be a good stand in for some Triarchs.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated! And just to add some incentive, any design changes that are recommended that I make, will earn that person a 5 dollars promo card for use in the TSS store. This is just the start of casting projects I have in the works so please do share what you think, good or bad! Im also open to ideas for future projects!

Daniel -TSS
    Last edited by TSS; 03-27-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: pictures were way to big.

Chapter-Master

Wow those are Really nice the detail and accuraccy are unbeliveble!

amazing work!

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

So.. uhm.. you're essentially producing some kits based on, and similar in likeness to, another company's existing IP? For sale?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by TSS View Post

*model shown for scale

As you can see if fits a variety of sizes and, as I've been told, would be a good stand in for some Triarchs.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated! And just to add some incentive, any design changes that are recommended that I make, will earn that person a 5 dollars promo card for use in the TSS store. This is just the start of casting projects I have in the works so please do share what you think, good or bad! Im also open to ideas for future projects!

Daniel -TSS
    I see the tracks and just think how can I get them into my ork army

Quote Originally Posted by pauljc View Post
    So.. uhm.. you're essentially producing some kits based on, and similar in likeness to, another company's existing IP? For sale?
    Its a grey area, if they'd copied the models directly, then thats illegal, they've been influenced by artwork, its like Chapterhouse, dodgy and the courts will decide on that.

What I will say is that there are not Pre-Heresy Terminator suits, and they're not nearly as nice as FW's new suits, and thats not even getting into the "Tru-scale" nonsence.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    Wow those are Really nice the detail and accuraccy are unbeliveble!

amazing work!

-fuzz
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pauljc View Post
    No. Its a different scale with details different. Its also not a complete kit nor any different then over half a dozen smaller and 2 large companies do now. This also isn't the place to debate such things.

Quote Originally Posted by docbungle View Post
    I see the tracks and just think how can I get them into my ork army
    That was the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainparty View Post
    Its a grey area, if they'd copied the models directly, then thats illegal, they've been influenced by artwork, its like Chapterhouse, dodgy and the courts will decide on that.

What I will say is that there are not Pre-Heresy Terminator suits, and they're not nearly as nice as FW's new suits, and thats not even getting into the "Tru-scale" nonsence.
    Well put.

To each their own as well. I for one do not like the FW models and am very disappointed in them. Im also not a fan of true scale myself . As I said, it was originally for some gaming buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by TSS View Post
    Thanks!

Well put.

To each their own as well. I for one do not like the FW models and am very disappointed in them. Im also not a fan of true scale myself . As I said, it was originally for some gaming buddies.
    I am not a fan of the FW kits either, they're gowing on me, they're less Pre-Heresy terminators, which is usually shown as the Cataphract(?) armour, and more like Mini-Contemptors, but I guess that makes sense as they're Tactical Dreadnaughts!

I always think Tru Scale is attacking the wrong end of the scale, its the non-power armoured guys that are out of scale, but, I guess if they sell, they sell.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast