BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Impressions of the new paint range

So, what with the biggest revamp of GWs paint range ever, I thought it might nice to have a thread for people to post their impression of it as they get some hands on experience. I realise they aren't actually on sale for another week yet, but you can test them out at any GW store.

I didn't get a great deal of time with the new paints, unfortunately, but I have to say I'm really impressed.

Base range: I tried Ceramite White and Screamer Pink, and I'm sold on the new base paints already. Ceramite White is worth any inconvenience alone, it will make painting white so much easier. Ditto for Screamer Pink and my pink Eldar helmets. One of my brothers tried Balthasar Gold and loved it, said painting gold should be much easier.

Layers: Basically the old colour range, perhaps a little thinner I'm not sure. More paints = good and the quality is consistently high so nothing but positive here.

Shades: The old washes, wonderful as always. I think Carroburg Crimson might make a very pretty ethereal pink over ceramite white or one of the pale greys.

Dry range: I tried Changelink Pink and the white, they went on well. I had a lot of trouble with the old GW colour paints sometimes being too thin/clear too drybrush easily with. These solve that issue neatly. Of course you can still drybrush with any paint you like.

Glaze: Didn't get to try any.

Texture: Tried Mourn Mountain snow with the white Dry paint over it for a snow base, came out rather well. A few patches of the fake snow for variation will be nice. I think the proportion of grit could be higher, I thnk I'll stick to using sand myself. I can see a use for these paints texturing smooth surfaces on terrain though, adding roughness to cliffs and walls and whatnot.

Technical: Liquid greenstuff, primer, medium and varnish. All fairly straightforward, the medium is a welcome addition but I didn't get to use it.

Gw have a paint conversion chart up [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat730002a&categoryId=6800002a&s ection=&aId=21600002a"]here[/URL], in case people missed it. They also have a decent set of guides to painting various colours/army schemes with the new paints [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/paintChart.jsp?catId=cat820002a&rootCatGameStyle="]here[/URL]. Some of them are very useful, others less so. I think the one for white is a bit overcomplicated, though it would get a nice result.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Had a quick play with the new silver, and some green shade (I think) could have been a glaze, and it was ok, but nothing special, I'll certainly not be rushing out to replace my current stash of paint.

I did like the texture paint, I think I will definitely be adding some of that to my collection though.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

I'm all about texture...but if you want some textured paint, just go buy yourself a nice big container of one of the Liquitex or W&N (or equivalent) [URL="http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-galeria-texture-gel-mediums/"]texture mediums[/URL]

You simply mix your paint with the texture medium you want, and then you can paint it on. Dries firm. Really great stuff, and a much, much better value than the texture paints will be. You should be able to find most at a Hobby Lobby or Michael's equivalent.

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Sergeant

Not really having any paint quite yet, I will likely be picking some up for myself in the near future when they go on sale.

@ Eldargal: I'm getting ready to paint my Blood Angels and have a question - as far as the paint guides go, I assume you're supposed to use the paints, wash, etc. in the given order. Correct?

The more paints the better! Though I am a little annoyed that a few months ago I got about eighty bucks worth of paint and now they have a load of better stuff out now.

Chapter-Master

All I can say is, thank christ they added a conversion chart on the website...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Not sure how I feel about this. I have a system down pat and this is bound to mess with it, however if the pot lids stay open now that'll be a huge plus..........
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    So, what with the biggest revamp of GWs paint range ever, I thought it might nice to have a thread for people to post their impression of it as they get some hands on experience. I realise they aren't actually on sale for another week yet, but you can test them out at any GW store.

I didn't get a great deal of time with the new paints, unfortunately, but I have to say I'm really impressed.

Base range: I tried Ceramite White and Screamer Pink, and I'm sold on the new base paints already. Ceramite White is worth any inconvenience alone, it will make painting white so much easier. Ditto for Screamer Pink and my pink Eldar helmets. One of my brothers tried Balthasar Gold and loved it, said painting gold should be much easier.

Layers: Basically the old colour range, perhaps a little thinner I'm not sure. More paints = good and the quality is consistently high so nothing but positive here.

Shades: The old washes, wonderful as always. I think Carroburg Crimson might make a very pretty ethereal pink over ceramite white or one of the pale greys.

Dry range: I tried Changelink Pink and the white, they went on well. I had a lot of trouble with the old GW colour paints sometimes being too thin/clear too drybrush easily with. These solve that issue neatly. Of course you can still drybrush with any paint you like.

Glaze: Didn't get to try any.

Texture: Tried Mourn Mountain snow with the white Dry paint over it for a snow base, came out rather well. A few patches of the fake snow for variation will be nice. I think the proportion of grit could be higher, I thnk I'll stick to using sand myself. I can see a use for these paints texturing smooth surfaces on terrain though, adding roughness to cliffs and walls and whatnot.

Technical: Liquid greenstuff, primer, medium and varnish. All fairly straightforward, the medium is a welcome addition but I didn't get to use it.

Gw have a paint conversion chart up [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat730002a&categoryId=6800002a&s ection=&aId=21600002a"]here[/URL], in case people missed it. They also have a decent set of guides to painting various colours/army schemes with the new paints [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/paintChart.jsp?catId=cat820002a&rootCatGameStyle="]here[/URL]. Some of them are very useful, others less so. I think the one for white is a bit overcomplicated, though it would get a nice result.
    1) I think the best things that GW has are the Foundations and washes (erm...Bases and Shades). I think the expansion of those two lines is the best part of all of this for that very reason. And yes...Ceramite white actually works. 3 coats to cover black, maximum, on large, flat surfaces.

2) Did you find that layers slightly thinner than the current paints? I felt that way, but I don't know whether or not that's just my imagination.

How does the liquid greenstuff work? Has anyone tried it?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast