BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I love Menoth as a shooting army. Menoth's shooting game is very interesting and can give people some serious trouble. Not to mention a lot of their shooting options are no slouches in melee either(Errants, both shooting heavies, both shooting lights). There isn't one specific shooting caster for Menoth but there are some that do some amazing things for a shooting army such as pKreoss(Purification for removing Occult/Shadow Pack, and an amazing alpha striking feat turn), pSevvy(Eye of Menoth gives you pow 17 Vanquishers, Rat 8 Pow 15 sprays from Repenters, pow 9 blast damage from Redeemers), and eFeora(bonded Redeemers can ruin so many people's days).

Also as people mentioned the support is phenomenal. Vassals for extra shooting/enliven, Choir for battle hymn, Rhoven for bypassing stealth/removing animi, etc.

really apreciate everyones thoughts on this, i have been looking over the different army books for the suggested ranged beasts so far. i hear what people are saying when taking into account picking up a faction, but this isn't really about starting the game and just trying to choose a shooty army, i guess what i wanted to find out is which army would be the strongest as a ranged base with good support of it, or who is great at shooting but also can take out the enemy in melee, but would be mostly ranged based. which is why i was trying to say the most viable, meaning the best mix of ranged to worthwhile mini's not just generaly to win, but as an all around unit that can hand;e everything but is especialy good at ranged, which included magic and anything else like sprays.

i watched a recent battle report with legion where the guy had a lot of good beasts, and some unit (forget the name) but everything was able to move well, hit well with shooting, then reform and move back out of counter charge area. it was very effective, then when the time came the winged beasts he had that shot also had armour peircing and decent melee. and the warlock had a nice boost spell that helped melee and ranged. so i guess this was the type of discussion i was looking for more then just "help me pick an army".

i thank you all though, i didn't even think of menoth to much, where i had thought about khador because of all the bombards, WG, morters, and widow makers.no one brought them up at all so maybe the reason is because while they can be destructive you sacrifice to much other stoping power to just get the shooting from that faction. looking at menoth though, they do have a lot of decent double duty jacks and also some good spells/support for it.

thanks again
    -cory (sorry for any spelling, cap's, or grammer, this is being typed on a phone)

First-Captain

Cygnar has arguably the best ranged war caster in the game: Kara Sloan. Weaponmaster on a pow 12 rifle means she's putting out 12+4d6 boosted. Add in the gobbler, and she can do this twice a round normally, and three times on her feat turn.

Ret is nice, yes. However they're a massive glass cannon, mores than even Cygnar or Cryx. And they don't have funky screw-you units like storm callers. No Los needed, ignores stealth, cover etc. have a lovely pow 10 lightning bolt. Pow 12 with eNemo.

Not to mention battle engines. The storm strider is a massive ranged beast.

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Cygnar has arguably the best ranged war caster in the game: Kara Sloan. Weaponmaster on a pow 12 rifle means she's putting out 12+4d6 boosted. Add in the gobbler, and she can do this twice a round normally, and three times on her feat turn.

Ret is nice, yes. However they're a massive glass cannon, mores than even Cygnar or Cryx. And they don't have funky screw-you units like storm callers. No Los needed, ignores stealth, cover etc. have a lovely pow 10 lightning bolt. Pow 12 with eNemo.

Not to mention battle engines. The storm strider is a massive ranged beast.
    I think you meant to say Caine, who is far more dangerous than Sloan at range--and, frankly, a better support caster,too (well, the prime version, anyway).

Battle-Brother

And they don't have funky screw-you units like storm callers. No Los needed, ignores stealth, cover etc. have a lovely pow 10 lightning bolt.
    Unfortunately, in Mk. II Stormcallers do need LoS as their Stormcalls require "target".

It kind of depends on the Warcaster or Warlock you choose, most factions have at least one that favours shooting. Harkevich for Khador, ELylyth for Legion, Gunnbjorn for Trolls, PKreoss for Menoth (good ol' pop'n'drop!), Broadsides Bart for Pirates - those are some good starting points. There are so many viable options I'd just pick a force you like the look of and go with it.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I think you meant to say Caine, who is far more dangerous than Sloan at range--and, frankly, a better support caster,too (well, the prime version, anyway).
    Actually, I meant exactly what I wrote.

Actually, I meant exactly what I wrote.
    Ah, well, that's a shame.

First-Captain

Why, because I refuse to allow you to draw me into a "discussion" to serve as another platform for you to go into long-winded diatribes?

You were that way on the PP forums, and I haven't seen much change here.

Trying to discuss things with you is about as much "fun" as a theological debate with a couple crusty old Jehovah's Witnesses, and about as constructive.

Why, because I refuse to allow you to draw me into a "discussion" to serve as another platform for you to go into long-winded diatribes?

You were that way on the PP forums, and I haven't seen much change here.

Trying to discuss things with you is about as much "fun" as a theological debate with a couple crusty old Jehovah's Witnesses, and about as constructive.
    Lol.

Well, anyway, for the OP:

Cygnar or Ret.

Most Cygnar casters can support a good ranged army, but Caine, eHaley, and Kraye are certainly the top picks. Sloan is fine, but basically just a worse version of Caine.

For Ret, Ravyn and Kaelyssa are the primary ranged casters, though Rahn is probably the most powerful Ret caster, and he plays just fine at range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast