BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Inexpensive, Low Model Count Start?

Is there a way to get into WFB without spending a ton and having a thousand models to paint? I picked up 1000 points of Skaven, which as it turned out, was around 200 tiny little rat men...they look cool, but the size and sheer number of them was out of hand. Is there an army that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg and also has a smaller number of individual models? Any help greatly appreciated.

Yes, Chaos Warriors are pretty cheap. They're mostly plastic and very elite. I have a 2k list that includes 60 models. About half marauders and half warriors with a few chaos knights. Badass looking models, too.

The battleforce is a great deal. I know that Lizardmen are a good money to model ratio too. That damn frog can cost like, 500 points. Any elite army will have a low model count and therefore be cheaper.

High Elves can be cheap too considering a lot of place offer the Island of Blood High Elves and they can be used to make a 1000 point army pretty quick. In fact the entire set of Island of blood elves is usually around 35-40$. Add on some more swordsmen and spearmen and you are easily at 1000 pts.

Ogres are the lowest model count army out there.

For low model count and cheap, I'd say High Elves are your best bet. Possibly Dwarves if you can find someone with the 7th edition starter dwarves who will sell for cheap.

Chaos Warriors are probably next on the list.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

my 2500 point WoC army is 79 models....if you count the 2 hellcannons as 4 models each, as there is 3 chaos dwarfs and 1 cannon. pretty much any high points cost army can have low model count. Ie all mounted or elite style armies.

Warriors of Chaos, Ogres, High Elves and Dwarfs (their Battalion box is one of the cheapest).

Veteran-Sergeant

Chaos may be the best route. I agree with most of the other suggestions but I find that painting a Chaos army is a little easier than the rest.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork