BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Sergeant

Does this mean that I'd need to go to an official GW store to play in tournaments for any hope of prizes?

I don't normally go participate in tournaments for the prize support either but it does suck since there isn't a particularly close GW store near me and all I have are the hobby stores.

No, you do not have to go to their stores. They are not cutting Prize support from LGS, just larger Indie tournies. Well, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    And yet paradoxically their pricing seems driven towards making more money from their older, financially-more-secure players than by recruiting new, younger players (who increasingly cannot afford the start-up costs).
    I'm going out on a limb on this:
    Perhaps, just perhaps, the older more-financially-secure demographic AND the younger and/or newer player demographic are best served by supporting smaller, local tournaments?

Further, the financially secure demographic is likely to not be heavily influenced to buy more GW by the prize at a tourney. A new player, however, is. Further, encouraging people to play tourneys in stores is probably more of a hook to pull in new customers than big tournaments in conference halls. Remember, with the Hobbit coming out, there's more opportunity this year to hook new customers in theory.

If is just that they're just reallocating basically the same money in different ways, I really can't complain. It's a prioritization choice. I fully expect to be one of those things that swings from one side to the other every couple of years.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

This looks a lot like the new tournament format for magic the gathering tcg. I have to say, it was not received very well, magic players are notoriously bad at reacting, but the changes to focus on the local was actually awesome. and the T.Os that everyone wanted to stay, stayed. and certain indie organizers are even competing to the scale of wizards events. I bet the same will happen here.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by pathwinder14 View Post
    As a T.O. for the Gateway Grand Trounament held at Diecon every year this will impact us somewhat, but not greatly. Right now the problem is that anyone wanting to run a GT has to wait for GW to approve it. Ed Spettigue (the guy who ran the GT Dept.) left GW US and they are busy picking up the peices. It looks as though GW is no longer going to be giving T.O.'s the customary $500 worth of scenery for their GT's either. Right now it's a real mess.
    Snap, Ed is gone? That is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyguy View Post
    Snap, Ed is gone? That is a shame.
    Yeah, he was a really cool guy. The hobby will miss his kind of support.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12