BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default 40k fighting fantasy?

so my local GW is doing a big game this saturday that pits 40k against fantasy (i forget the name they called it something like worlds collide?) and i was wondering what to expect/what i should take.... i dont know all the rules, but i know that each player uses whatever system of the game theyre playing, and that magic counts as psychic powers...

i was thinking lots and lots of blast and template weapons because of their tightnit formations, and lots of rune priests (duh im taking SW) to counter all that silly magic

does anyone have experience playing a cross-over game like this???

Battle-Brother

If you can outflank them or get behind fantasy blocks, it helps fantasy-style combat resolution. Then again' I'm not quite sure what rules set you'll be using. You should report back in great detail how they did this and how well it went, because it sounds fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarcissist View Post
    so my local GW is doing a big game this saturday that pits 40k against fantasy (i forget the name they called it something like worlds collide?) and i was wondering what to expect/what i should take.... i dont know all the rules, but i know that each player uses whatever system of the game theyre playing, and that magic counts as psychic powers...

i was thinking lots and lots of blast and template weapons because of their tightnit formations, and lots of rune priests (duh im taking SW) to counter all that silly magic

does anyone have experience playing a cross-over game like this???
    yeah, take blast templates.

Honestly, IG would eat this up - they could backpedal with so many Leman Russ tanks, or Manticores, or anything, that fantasy would be effed.

How is this fair?
    We are heavy metal pirates! / We sail across the skies! / In our battleships of cosmic steel / we're terror up on high! - Alestorm

Battle-Brother

It does soud interesting, but 40k shooting will dominate Fantasy assuming no range modifiers are added.

Biggest question - will str modify armour saves for the Fantasy armies? 40k has way higher Str weapons.

Brother-Sergeant

A friend and I did this back in 2nd edition when fantasy and 40k had similar rules. It wasnt fun. The fancy space men kicked the crap out of the fantasy army. I imagine it will be even more 1 sided under the current rules.

Chapter-Master

Back in the day (1st Ed RT) you could directly crossover - actually the Warhammer Siege book allowed this and had a campaign doing it.

The rationalisation was that WFB got 1.5x points to spend, ie 1000pts 40K = 1500pts WFB.

But this was when weapon strength gave a standard save modifier - I have no idea how they will reconcile AP with WFB now. Someone with plate and a shiled would probably get the same save in WFB as power armour!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Back in the day (1st Ed RT) you could directly crossover - actually the Warhammer Siege book allowed this and had a campaign doing it.

The rationalisation was that WFB got 1.5x points to spend, ie 1000pts 40K = 1500pts WFB.

But this was when weapon strength gave a standard save modifier - I have no idea how they will reconcile AP with WFB now. Someone with plate and a shiled would probably get the same save in WFB as power armour!
    Borrowing a page from 40k role play, AP should count double against "primitive" armor or the primitive only gets 1/2 its armor bonus or something like that.

I'd be very disappointed if a MEQ army needed more than 500pts to table a WFB 2000 pt army except for the support of magic or daemons. That would really crush any idea of Space Maroons being super soldiers.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitorsog View Post
    Borrowing a page from 40k role play, AP should count double against "primitive" armor or the primitive only gets 1/2 its armor bonus or something like that.

I'd be very disappointed if a MEQ army needed more than 500pts to table a WFB 2000 pt army except for the support of magic or daemons. That would really crush any idea of Space Maroons being super soldiers.
    I think 2k of Dwarfs could take down a 500 point SM army, on equal terms, meaning all foot.

R
    It takes a big hammer to drive a big nail.

This sounds crazy! I suspect it might just turn into 20 40k players against 1 or 2 fantasy!

Instead of calling it 'worlds collide', they should just have called it 'clubbing baby seals' as that would be a more accurate description of what will happen.

Even allowing for 1.5x or even 2x the points total for fantasy v 40k, it would still be ridiculous and no fun at all for the fantasy guys because of things like templates, tanks and much more. Could anything in fantasy even take on AV14?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast