BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bring a psychic hood, lest your Wolfguard get transformed into ratmen via the Dreaded 13th spell!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Hand View Post
    Bring a psychic hood, lest your Wolfguard get transformed into ratmen via the Dreaded 13th spell!
    The current fantasy set up of a level 4 wuzard and a support wizard or 2 could swing the balance to fantasy. 40k armies would have trouble dispelling anything :P

Dreaded 13 will have a field day with how smal 40 units are. Along with all the other Skaven Goodness, Plague, then the other armies. Pit of Shades, Mindrazor, etc.

40k may dominate the shooting phase, but Fantasy will win magic.

Close combat wil really decide things though, 40k has no rank bonus, so really can't win any combats if they start the resolution down by 4 points ( Std + 3 ranks) or if its 40k style, then all 60 of my Skaven slaves trike at I 4 the same as most SM's

Battle-Brother

Yeah, it may not be that one sided, all things considered.

An Empire army may actually have a decent chance of holding up in shooting, out-perform in magic and then crush the marines with their own (steam-)tanks! :P

Scout

Question

And how to use things like ethereal units? That would nice to use or raising hordes of undead for vampires out there. If my 40k chaos would fight my WFB dwarves... Raptors with flamers, both squads. And Rhinos! With havoc launches! Honestly, fighting vehicle spam will be hard for fantasy since every big monster close to beat a metal box eats melta/plasma. My (40k) demon princes do it a lot. And ranged options to crack a Land Raider? Monolith? Shocking images are set lose in my mind right now. All of my canons and runes, maybe then.

I expect some serious but fun rule twisting.

This is a concept that warms the cockles of my heart. Back during the days of 40Kv3 I became enamored with the idea of real Undead in 40K after seeing the movie Heavy Metal again for the first time since I had started playing 40K. I was not alone in my interest in this concept and found a couple of other people online who had put in substantial thought on this concept. Cobbling bits from here and pieces from there I put together a Codex: Undead that saw some playtesting in my local group. We had a lot of fun with although it wasn't completely balanced or polished, it demonstrated to me that the concept was completely viable.

Which is exactly what I think this group will find if the organizers have done their homework. 40K and WFB don't mix straight up but patches are clearly possible to make it work. Hopefully we'll get a report of how things played out. I look forward to seeing it.
    1. There are female marines and my Sunhawks will explain it to you.
    2. We are the Emperor's Children and we WILL redeem our honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Back in the day (1st Ed RT) you could directly crossover - actually the Warhammer Siege book allowed this and had a campaign doing it.

The rationalisation was that WFB got 1.5x points to spend, ie 1000pts 40K = 1500pts WFB.

But this was when weapon strength gave a standard save modifier - I have no idea how they will reconcile AP with WFB now. Someone with plate and a shiled would probably get the same save in WFB as power armour!
    I remember these sorts of rules. We played a WONDERFULLY fun game of space marines landing on a "primitive" planet. We had a space ship made out of two pie tins, that landed on one end. The Fantasy guys (orcs and empire, if I recall) charged towards the marines. The rules had a couple of alien hitchhikers (ambuls, maybe?) stuck to the hull of the ship the marines did not know about, and a unit of trolls or such hiding in the woods (both run by the GM).

It was a really fun time and I think pretty balanced (as well as such thinigs can be).

My advice: Don't get too rules lawyery and just have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by plawolf View Post
    Instead of calling it 'worlds collide', they should just have called it 'clubbing baby seals' as that would be a more accurate description of what will happen.

Even allowing for 1.5x or even 2x the points total for fantasy v 40k, it would still be ridiculous and no fun at all for the fantasy guys because of things like templates, tanks and much more. Could anything in fantasy even take on AV14?
    Yeah, that can happen. However, I think there are lots of things fantasy can bring to the table to smash up a 40K army. There are LOTS of high strength monsters that would crunch tanks. Also, there are oodles of spells that I think 40k armies may have trouble dealing with.

Dunno. These thingsa are just fun for a one-off and a laugh. I'd LOVE to bring my Dark Elves (no, not eldar) up against a 40K army and see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12