BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmo75 View Post
    This is a minor nitpick, but technically when it comes to dedicated transports you have to paint up the infantry unit that bought the dedicated transport, they just aren't a permanent part of the dedicated transport. Apart from pilots and gunners for open-topped vehicles and the cling-ons from the Dark Eldar vehicles, as you already noted. =)
    Yeah, but with a Ghost Ark you have to do it twice.

You have to paint the occupants in the transport model, as well as the actual models for the unit.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Battle-Brother

Kawauso: Wow. Beautiful work. I wish I could paint as cleanly.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Xyxel View Post
    Ghost Arks must be painted before assembling! When you paint a Rhino or a Land Raider you paint only exterior surfaces not to mention you can play with it unpainted just after assembling. When painting Ghost Ark you have to literally paint every element on every surface.
    So much work to get model to the tabel. Makes you humble. But in the end, very rewarding.

[url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/300812-Ghost%20Ark%2C%20Necrons%2C%20Necrontyr%2C%20Quant um%20Shielding%2C%20Skimmer%2C%20Vehicle%2C%20Warh ammer%2040%2C000.html][/url]
    That's awesome too. Nicely done with the backdrop - makes the whole picture very impressive indeed.

I dig the background. That extra step before posting goes a long way towards making the model more "believable" .

Anyway, as someone who has put together and painted one of these things, I stand by my statement that this is not a complex or difficult kit.
    "Lengthy", sure. "Tedious", maybe... but there was never a time when I was stumped as to where a piece went or how something came together. Also, there isn't any of that I-need-to-have-three-hands-just-to-hold-this-thing-together-in-the-four-simultanious-places-that-it's-gluing stuff going on that I've seen before.
    Is is a Rhino? No. But isn't that a GOOD thing?

People (myself included) like to rag on GW for some of the stuff they do but, at the end of the day, they make really well thought out kits with some great detail and this one is no exception.

Brother-Captain

I think the difficulty people are speaking of (or at least I know I am) is just the amount of involvement (read: lengthy, tedious work) required to get this model 'table-ready'. I don't think I've ever had to work on a model that required so much time and effort to get to a playable state before.

Except my Tomb Stalker.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

I'm currently building 7!!!
    4 Ghost Arks, 2 Doomsday Arks, 1 magnetized interchangeable ark.

It's definitely a PITA.

I fully built and painted 1 as a run through. Took a long while.

I'm currently working on the remaining 36 rib cages (bronze top, turquoise middle, and boltgun bottom). Then the gauss arays. Then I can fully glue the ribcages together. I feel like at that point I could probably put them on the table until the rest are painted. I'll post pictures of mine after work.

Just think of it as revenge by all the players of other armies for all the years of necron players getting away with only slapping on some boltgun paint and calling it an army.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12