BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default necron unit, scary or too much?

So, I have been getting my butt kicked by an orks player's 'ard boys unit, of late. I tried hitting them with two annihilation barges and a ten man unit of immortals over several turns, and then accept the charge with a lightning field and scarabs near by to help with wounds. I blasted all of that and he still got me in cc and destroyed my whole flank. So instead of trying to shoot him im going to fight him in cc. I came up with a unit that I think might be nasty. The unit is 720 with an option for for 835. The unit is as follows:

Nemesor zahndrekh

Vargard obyron

Necron overlord with warscythe, 2+, res orb, amd 3++

Lord, warscythe, 2+

Lord, warscythe, 2+

5 warriors

Option: ghost ark

My thoughts: this is a pretty scary scoring unit. But a lot of points. Now the unit is meant for close combat, however, if I got into a situation where I was tarpitted, or in an unfavorable matchup, I could veil out of it. Also, if I have a dread or walker near where i am charging a unit, I could always pull a couple independent characters out with to deal with them. Also like I said it is scoring, so if i plopped them on a capture amd control marker , good luck getting them off.

What is the intetnets thoughts?

Should i add mindshackle scarabs, ghost ark, or sub out the overlord for another special character?

It sounds like you're just rolling poorly and he's rolling well. All that fire should do bad things to a unit of 'ard boys unless the dice hate you.
    Necrons have some fun close combat options but they are not marquis units. Including some as counter assaulters to finish off a damaged unit is one thing, but creating a close combat all-star isn't worth the points in this codex if you're looking just to be effective.
    40K is only a "if you can't beat them, then join them game" if you switch codices all together. The orcs are an assault-heavy codex, the 'crons are a mostly shooting and dirty tricks codex. Both have their exceptions (lootas, scarabs), but these exceptions are best used to cover gaps and not be the headliner.

I understand your point, but this unit could be done in compliment with the test of the army. Ie. Annihilation barges, solar pulsea, crypteks, immortals, and scarabs. This unit will be plugged into a 1500 and up army. You have a good chance at winning kill point missions, and capture and control. You will have a problem with multiple objectives, but this unit could be a troop assassin. Also, if you take a ghost ark, you could split up some of the independent characters with the veil to contest, and the lords and warriors could go for a late turn steal. Not to mention with solar pulses going off you can avoid alot of high strength weapons.

Battle-Brother

At 1500 points this unit is just way too big, I mean 720 points? That's almost half your army and your getting 10 models out of it, 5 of which are 4+ save warriors which will just get slaughtered before they can even use Reanimation protocols.
    The strength of Necrons is mid-range shooting and dirty tricks just like Sure said; you should play off that as well as the Orks weaknesses, load your army up with template weapons and annihilation barges and throw in some tesla immortals
    If you really want a close combat unit then get yourself some warscythe Lychguard and have them go with a res orb Warscythe Overlord
    Or, if you're feeling interesting put some Triarch Praetorians with a Destroyer Lord on the Field (I dont recommend it however)

I guess i could just be willing this unit to be good. But the warriors are only 65 pts and would normally go with a cryptek with veil or solar pulse, then im going to have two overlords anyway, and the two lords are a throw in. Well sometimes ill put a lord down for a res orb for a large warrior or immortal unit. unstead if having all of this spread over a while army, they get thrown into a scary unit that is scoring, and will take a ton of shots. The only real concern is losing combat and all the reanimation protocols goes away. But with 14 warscythe attacks on a charge, or with counter-attack, T5, 2+ armor, I do not see that happening.

Is this an auto-win button? No. Is it going to be very helpful in kill point games? Yes. is it going to make up its points? Probably not. Could it throw a wrench in what an opponent likes to do? Most likely

I'm going to try this out in my next couple games. I let you know exactly what it does

Also, it could be 5 tesla immortals to get a 3+

How are you not taking out a unit of hardboys with a full squad of immortals? Are you kitted with guass or tesla? Gauss shouldn't allow them an armor save, and tesla should be giving them a large load of wounds. (IMO the tesla carbines aren't worth it.)

As for the unit you are proposing, it's fluffy and fun, but I wouldn't bring it to a tourney.

Well, there is 12 'ard boys, one knob, and a warboss in the unit. Out of four tesla destructor shots on the unit, i didnt roll one 6. I hit him for 13 strength 7 hits. I did 10 wounds, he saved 6 of them. And put one wound on the knob and one on the boss. Then 10 immortals firing twice, no rapid fire, he got in cc because of a 5 for run, and a 4 for the waaagh!. So 20 shots, I hit on 12 of them, wounded 6, he had a force field from another hq of 5+. So he saved 3 of them. 3 died, didnt need to take a morale check. Next turn he waaghed and killed them.

Another note on my unit idea. Even menphiston with 5 strength 10 cc attacks wouldn't be a problem for this unit. He might kill one, but I would kill him out right. I know he is only 250 vs. 750, but they would kill him outright.

Quote Originally Posted by planet psyrum View Post
    Well, there is 12 'ard boys, one knob, and a warboss in the unit. Out of four tesla destructor shots on the unit, i didnt roll one 6. I hit him for 13 strength 7 hits. I did 10 wounds, he saved 6 of them. And put one wound on the knob and one on the boss. Then 10 immortals firing twice, no rapid fire, he got in cc because of a 5 for run, and a 4 for the waaagh!. So 20 shots, I hit on 12 of them, wounded 6, he had a force field from another hq of 5+. So he saved 3 of them. 3 died, didnt need to take a morale check. Next turn he waaghed and killed them.

Another note on my unit idea. Even menphiston with 5 strength 10 cc attacks wouldn't be a problem for this unit. He might kill one, but I would kill him out right. I know he is only 250 vs. 750, but they would kill him outright.
    You should be using gauss for immortals against orks. More shots, no armor saves

Sounds to me like your just rolling bad.

Again, that IS a fun unit, and I think you should playtest it to see how much you like it Don't discount your very good immortals just yet though.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by planet psyrum View Post

Wait wait. Did he run and then "Waaagh fleet" in the same turn? Because Waaagh just lets them fleet - ie: charge even if they ran. Unless you meant over two turns in which case ignore me.

If you're desperate, a couple of the Crypteks with AP1 flamers in the Ghost Ark with the 5 Warriors would sort them out in a hurry with almost no danger to them. They don't even have to disembark to shoot. Just two templates that wound on 3s with no saves and no FNP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast