BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking 1500 Nurlge Themed CSM

Here is my first attempt at a Nurgle themed CSM army. I have a bucket full of 2nd Ed style Plague Marines and need to do something with them! Comments/advice please!

Daemon Prince, MoN 130

Dreadnaught, ML, PC 105
    Dreadnaught, ML, AC 110
    Dreadnaught, ML, MM 100

Plague Marines x5
    Meltagun x2
    Rhino 170

Plague Marines x5
    Meltagun x2
    Rhino 170

Plague Marines x5
    Flamer x2
    Rhino 160

Plague Marines x5
    Plasmagun x2
    Rhino 180

Vindicator 125
    Vindcator 125
    Vindcator 125

Grand Total: 1500

It's a good list, although I would definitely replace the Plasmaguns on the Plague Marine Squad with Meltaguns, and with the points saved change all dreadnoughts to AC/ML, as you will need that 48" range fire support more than the Multi-Melta or Plasma Cannon. I would also try to change the Flamers on the 3rd Plague Marine squad to Meltas, but you don't have the points. You can never have enough Melta, and with 3 Vindicators you really do not need Flamers or Plasma.

What are you doing with your HQ? He's slow without wings, and doesn't really add much to the army. I know this doesn't fit your theme, but I would exchange him for a Slaanesh Sorcerer with Lash of Submission. This will be very useful with your Vindicators, and will also give the points necessary to change your Dreadnoughts around.

The list would look like this:

Sorcerer 125
    -Mark of Slaanesh, lash

3 x Dreadnought 330
    -TL Autocannon, Missile Launcher

3 x 5 Plague Marines 510
    -2 Meltaguns, Rhino

5 Plague Marines 160
    -2 Flamers, Rhino

3 x Vindicator 375

I would also try to get Possession on the Vindicators, but points are too tight for that. Hope this helps!

I'm not sure about the dreadnoughts, CSM dreads have a tendency to go crazy and start shooting their own units (I know the FAQ helps with this) but I might consider some other options.

I see your Heavy Support is full so Obliterators are no longer an option for long-ranged fire but with 300+ points you can certainly do a lot with terminators who can bring autocannons and chainfists to the party to lend to anti-tank? Just a thought.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks to both of you for the input.

Chexmix you are absolutely right about the dreads weapons, I included the dreads for long range fire support so I should maximise that. There is certainly no need for a plasma cannon with three vindicators about! Funny what you don't see, it is kinda obvious really...

The Daemon Prince was really there to take heat off the dreads, but you are right, with wings he has much more chance of getting into combat, he can run behind the Vindicators and then jump over them to get into combat. The wings are a better buy than the Mark of Nurgle in this context.

It is a shame about the flamers, but this list is to the wire with points so there isn't room for meltas. I don't want to lose a dread or vindicator just to give some bells and whistles to everything else.

I appreciate that the utility of the las Sorcerer is good but this is ultimately a themed army so I'll go with the DP. If I find that I'm losing all the time then I might change my mind! Another possibility is a Sorcerer with Gift of Chaos to try to snipe out enemy characters, but the fact that this power is used at the beginning of the turn and only has a range of 6 inches makes it difficult to set up as you have to be in range at the start of the turn, so its easy to avoid.

With the winged DP the poor last squad is dow to one flamer, but I can't find a way to remedy this which wouldn't hurt more!

@Blackarmchair, yes Chaos Dreads are unpredictable, but the codex has so few ways to get long range weapons in outside of the HS section that I think they are essential. Occassionally fire frenzy woks in your favour, but it is frustrating when they break cover to run pointlessly forward, especially shooty dreds! I still prefer them to terminators though, although three three man termie squads is the same price, the dreads have more guns and they contribute to the armour saturation with the AP values, to swamp the enemy with relatively high AP targets and tough infantry. I have a bunch of terminators I can proxy so I will try your suggestion out though, their ability to deep strike in behind the enemy and then shoot with their autocannons is certainly tempting...

So my list is now:

Daemon Prince, wings 130

Dreadnaught, ML, AC 110
    Dreadnaught, ML, AC 110
    Dreadnaught, ML, AC 110

Plague Marines x5
    Meltagun x2
    Rhino 170

Plague Marines x5
    Meltagun x2
    Rhino 170

Plague Marines x5
    Meltagun x2
    Rhino 170

Plague Marines x5
    Flamer x1
    Rhino 155

Vindicator 125
    Vindcator 125
    Vindcator 125

Grand Total: 1500

Wish I could do something about that unit with the single flamer, but maybe in the next codex eh?
    Knight of Infinite Resignation

When you realize how much of a let down the Daemon Prince is and change him to a Lash Sorcerer you'll have the 5 points for that extra flamer

Chexmix, what part of "nurgle themed" list don't you get??

I have tried using dreads in the past and they are terrible. They fire frenzy 2" from the enemy or assault when you want them to shoot.

Worse of all with your list, a lot of the time they will be shooting your own rhinos, and chances are really good blowing them up. I have always regretted taking them.

I would drop all 3, maybe replace them with a Chosen squad with the mark of nurgle, with a ton of meltas, out flank them and they can get into the enemy really well.

I would also think about swapping our a vindi for a defiler to give you that range you are looking for.

Finally I have found lesser daemons a must for any cult themed army. Your troops are too valuable and costly to just be sitting on objectives. Sit a squad of daemons on an objective, they are cheap, have them do to ground, they have a +3 cover and the enemy has to kill everyone-of-them.

On a similar note I find great daemons a nice addition to turn the tide when you need it.

Hope that helps!!

I get it, I have a Death Guard army myself (very similar to this one, in fact). With a book this old you rarely can make compromises for theme in a tournament setting, however. The DP fits the theme, sure, but outside of your list nobody will know the Sorcerer doesn't fit the theme if he's modeled/painted accordingly.

If you are taking this to a non-comped tournament, there simply is no reason to take the DP over the Sorc. Man, CSM seriously need a codex update.

And the dreads won't kill your rhinos as long as you position their fire arcs accordingly.

Scout
    New Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

I don't know why there's this sudden Prince hate. I've run 2 Nurgle winged princes since I started playing CSM and they've never failed to impress me. Princes are great MC's and a very cost effective HQ choice. Ever since GW neutered Warptime, they've lost some effectiveness, but this just means they've gotten cheaper.
    The Jersey General

DPs with wings are great, but in this list he didn't have points for wings. The nerf to Warptime was awful, but DPs still have their uses. I just wouldn't take one without wings.

so you have unpossessed vindis , which on stun turn in to LoS blockers and have to move closer to enemy to get in range. melta pms that have to get inside 14" or lower to use melta .and your only realy long range support for those units , that have to move up field , are 3 dreads with 2 shoting weapons each that are slower then both vindis and the pm rhinos ? so in case they go crazy [3 dudes 30% chance to go crazy one should be doing something you dont want every turn] they will always see the low back or side armor [check the side armor on the vindis by the way. ponder fast moving units in 5th ed] of your main force.
    Isnt that kind of a problem /

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast