BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    The Dark Mechanic

Default Finecast and 40K 25th Anniversay Model Review.

Here's an interesting review of the Warhammer 40,000 25th Anniversary model at the link below. I've got my own extremely mixed feelings about the Finecast product due to very mixed experiences with it. Quality from my experience is a mixed bag, some models in Finecast are terrific, others regularly have many serious flaws in them. Generally and with select exceptions I avoid it, if for no other reason than the price which is outrageous on many kits.

[url]http://chestofcolors.com/warhammer-40000-25th-anniversary-space-marine-model-review/[/url]
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

I was fortunate enough to get a good cast of this miniature as well. Now, if only I could figure out what to do with it...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnemy View Post
    I was fortunate enough to get a good cast of this miniature as well. Now, if only I could figure out what to do with it...
    Post it to me. I want one, got to my local store 30 mins before it openned to find they had allready sold out
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

I got one on Ebay a week ago, my first finecast, I am pretty pleased, nice resin casting.

I've seen some terrible castings of the Crimson Fist on The Internet but I have to say of the two dozen or so kits I've seen in person (big games club) they were all perfect. Actually the amount of miscast Finecast we've seen has been ridiculously low if the The Internet () wisdom about the stuff is correct. I think the total proportion deemed worthy of replacing (if a finecast takes longer to prep for painting than a metal equivalent it is unsuitable, ie filling bubbles, resculpting detail etc) is around 4%. Which you could argue is too high.

Surprised people, the linekd article included, talk about flash as a negative. Stuff comes off in an instant and any residual line can be smoothed off with a fingernail or emery board in an intant. Beats metal mould lines hands down.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I think the total proportion deemed worthy of replacing (if a finecast takes longer to prep for painting than a metal equivalent it is unsuitable, ie filling bubbles, resculpting detail etc) is around 4%. Which you could argue is too high.
    Wow, four percent? Is that an official figure?
    That's not high, that's ridiculously high compared to my historical experience with GW. I've been buying from GW for 14 or so years and have bought at least 6 full armies, three of which are hordes. I have had only one problem worthy of interacting with customer service with metal or plastic in that time. That one problem was a small piece that had gotten knocked off a plastic sprue somewhere between coming off the mold and going in the box

I agree with the points you made that the review was a little nitpicky on some points... resin flash tends to look bad but gets cleaned up very quickly.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.