BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Back in 1997 BI (Before Internet) we didn't know exactly what was coming out. There wasn't endless interminable rumour leaking etc.

Is the element of surprise not a nice thing? I don't believe anyone in this hobby is obsessive enough to budget ahead based purely on the new release schedule. There is always that bright idea for a new conversion, or that cheap deal on ebay. Or maybe people should just be disciplined and once their budget is spent - thats it. So put some aside for new releases.

Anyway if you let it all be known 6 months in advance then your competitors, blood sucking leaches like CHS, can get ahead of the drag curve and force the pace of release creating models you may not have wanted to release until 2nd wave.

Too many people having their cake and eating it has led us to this point.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

AmI incorrect in saying that back then stores used "Incoming!" articles as posters, had adverts in WD, managers were allowed to talk about upcoming releases?

Theres a fine line to walk between giving 48 hours notice of a launch and showing it in advance. The only "incoming" articles used to let us know something was coming. They didn't show models, they didn't show rules or anything other than notice you'd be getting some new stuff soon.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    LOL not quite, but to a certain extent

People are saying "the first part of the year has been crap, but don't worry cos we'll be getting new stuff soon!"

We haven't had a 40k book in 6 months. Who knows when we'll actually get something. Can people agree that last year was a bit of a wipe for 40k. We got 2 armies and one or 2 second waves. And a lot of Fantasy.

People say "6th ed is coming! That'll improve the year". A new rulebook is a force unto itself. We know we'll get new codexes at some point this year. Thats a known. However we DON'T know about the rulebook. All we have is rumours. And placing faith in the year being redeemed by a book that GW haven't confirmed we'll even get is not very convincing.
    We may not have had a book, but we had two long awaited and much needed 2nd waves that genertaed quite a lto of excitement (at least amongst Nid and SW players). I agree that the new rulebook may not be a good thing, but you could say the same about a Codex, it depends entirely on what you want fro mti as to whether it is good or bad. I'm curious as to what exactly you think would make it a good year for 40k.

As for the news black out, as has been discussed previously, this was not really GW's choice, it was part of the contract with New Line for the Hobbit. At the start of last year we knew several months in advance what the next few releases would be and then they suddenly stopped making announcements when they signed up to the deal. Once the Hobbit is done and dusted they may well go back to long term announcements. I don't really mind either way, I find I get more excited by the rumours, but then they lead to disappointment when they don't always pan out.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Something can be said for only having to wait a week from when pre-orders go up to receiving them. I think DE was the last time I had to wait three or four weeks to get my order, and it was agonising. In contrast the wait of a week between Lhamaeans and VC going up was much more easily endured.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Of course last year and this year to date have been pretty disappointing for 40k. It is even more disappointing when the focus for two to three years will be Hobbit, Hobbit, and more Hobbit.

GW corporate said last year they wanted to focus on WFB since they felt that IP was neglected (this still should be available in their investor section on the site). And that is exactly what they have been doing.

Depending on ones tastes, if we consider the 'over the top' sculpts coming out for fantasy and last years 'Dreadknight', and drinking the SoB blood Grey Knight codex, I'm not really sure the lack of attention from the current 'creative' elements is all bad.

At least Forge World still has interesting 40k releases.

Battle-Brother

Default Major Disappointment So Far

The OP has struck a resonating chord with me. It's April, and we have seen no real announcements about 6th edition. Has GW even officially announced 6th Ed will be coming this year?

We've seen "closing wave" models released for Space Wolves and Bugs that may/may not have been done for sometime, and there is no ETA on Dark Elder offerings to fill that range. Are there any models left/unreleased?

We've received the Crimson Fist anniversary miniature... and that's it. It's all been Fantasy.

A ray of hope- the Hobbit isn't coming out until December, so maybe the game in November/December? We know the releases through April and a good idea of May, so that gives us June-October (five months!) for GW to blast us away with the 25th Anniversary of 40K and 6th Edition with a couple new Codex books. Please GW! Don't let us down!

Dark Eldar need the voidraven and half a dozen characters. I'm still not sure why people are expecting a year of 40k just because it is the anniversary. We're getting a new edition, a new starter box and two new codices yet if the rumours are accurate. Not having much more than a decent sized wave release by April doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Battle-Brother

Personally I wouldnt be supprised if I codex isnt released in the next month or 2 before 6th edition followed up by a second codex release towards the trailing side of the year after UK games day (about the same time as starter set)

As for the its the "year of 40k" they arent going to have a complete year with no fantasy or LOTR stuff or that would put other systems players off entirely I would suspect that most stuff thats not a codex release will be concentrated around the 6th edition release

And no GW havent confirmed the 6th edition release however theres enough evidence that it will be this year - the latest being that the new starter paint set has dark angels with molded details on the sholderpads on them which would indicate a change in starter set sometime this year and certain rules in the necron codex make little sence as their 5th edition rules (destroyers (ranged) with Prefered enemy (CC) for example)

Scout

Default The same thing happened in 8th edition. . .

I wouldn't call doom and gloom yet. The 6rh edition schedule seems reminiscent of Fantasy's 8th--Beastmen came in Jan (Necrons were Nov) 8th in the Summer (6th coming then). The next fantasy book was Orcs in Jan--a year of no armies. I don't think they'll go that long for 40k--8th had the new book format, and lots of changes to deal with. The experience there should hasten 40k's transition. But I'm not surprised at all that they aren't releasing any more books before 6th. The probable shift to hardcover, and making sure everything they are working on works together is time well spent. I'd rather have a book come after 6th than just before it, since the changes are going to be bigger than that between 4th/5th (or fantasy's 6/7th).

So yes, the first half of the year will lack much 40k. But I'd wager that 2-3 books are out by this time next year.
    Last edited by kargie; 04-03-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Back in 1997 BI (Before Internet) we didn't know exactly what was coming out. There wasn't endless interminable rumour leaking etc.

Is the element of surprise not a nice thing? I don't believe anyone in this hobby is obsessive enough to budget ahead based purely on the new release schedule. There is always that bright idea for a new conversion, or that cheap deal on ebay. Or maybe people should just be disciplined and once their budget is spent - thats it. So put some aside for new releases.

Anyway if you let it all be known 6 months in advance then your competitors, blood sucking leaches like CHS, can get ahead of the drag curve and force the pace of release creating models you may not have wanted to release until 2nd wave.

Too many people having their cake and eating it has led us to this point.
    and strangly enough countless firms around the world advert their products months in advance including model making ones and it only makes it better and rises the sales.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast