BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why are Predators with Autocannons retarded?

I've had this thought for many many years. Why does a Predator with an autocannon not have said weapon twin linked? Every other variant of rhino with a turret that isn't ordinance or sisters has twin linked weaponry. Mainly because it's ON A GOD-D***ED TANK. Autocannons can be wielded by foot infantry in a GUARD army, and Dreadnaughts come with a twin linked model. Obviously the chassis can handle more weaponry than a measly autocannon (Twin las, twin heavy bolter, twin assault cannon, las twin plas, ect ect) but no, the stupid d*** autocannon is just as crappy as the foot troops one.

I wish if the Pred had just the autocannon turret, it could transport like a razorback. That would make it ALMOST worth taking.

/Rant.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    Why are Predators with Autocannons retarded?
    /Rant.
    Because all the good machine spirits had been used on land raiders?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Because all the good machine spirits had been used on land raiders?
    And only the loyalist ones at that! Bahahaha

Chapter-Master

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Librarian

And only the loyalist ones at that! Bahahaha
    cant you swap out the Baal twin assault cannons with twin autos and call it whatever you want

Chaplain

Every other variant of rhino with a turret that isn't ordinance or sisters has twin linked weaponry.
    Uh...yah the Immolator's primary weapons are all TWL, HF, HB and MM. Not really the point of this thread but I thought I should mention that.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Librarian

I don't know if this is right, or near it, but i think it has to do with an old school tank philosophy. A tank is there to support the infantry, and only that. Many Pre WW2 tanks only had a single gun in the turret, usually something similar in operation to the Autocannon, like a 20 mm machine gun, or a howitzer of some flavor. After the Horus Hersey, it could be conceivable that the High lords of Terra and the IG Command didn't want the Space Marines to have the best tanks in the universe, or try to limit them (the marines) as much as possible and in any shape or form.

I have always been puzzled as well, but I think it comes down to number of shots. The AC gets two separate shots to hit potentially twice, but for lower damage whereas the Lascannon gets two tries to hit once for higher damage. The old school view is that the AC gives you a better option for tackling light vehicles and PA infantry because of volume of shots. That said when we see most other vehicle mounted ACs are twin linked now, retconning seems in order. However, that would require changes to the molds for a vehicle that's still going to be the bridesmaid the the Land Raider's bride.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    I don't know if this is right, or near it, but i think it has to do with an old school tank philosophy. A tank is there to support the infantry, and only that. Many Pre WW2 tanks only had a single gun in the turret, usually something similar in operation to the Autocannon, like a 20 mm machine gun, or a howitzer of some flavor. After the Horus Hersey, it could be conceivable that the High lords of Terra and the IG Command didn't want the Space Marines to have the best tanks in the universe, or try to limit them (the marines) as much as possible and in any shape or form.
    That would work in theory, except that you don't see infantry carrying shoulder mounted howitzers. My point is, why is this a dedicated tank, an honest to god fighting platform, with a gun on it that infantry can carry?

I mean, make it a "heavy autocannon" or something and give it 2 shots at strength 8 or 3 at s7 to represent that it's a f***ing TANK.

Infantry cannot carry any other weapon a Predator can have on it's primary turret. That's like saying "I'm going to equip this tank with an M16."

Quote Originally Posted by doom-kitten View Post
    Uh...yah the Immolator's primary weapons are all TWL, HF, HB and MM. Not really the point of this thread but I thought I should mention that.
    Yes, I realized that after I posted, but I didn't want to make every exception known ever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast