BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Space Wolves Tournament List (2k)

HQ:
    Logan Grimnar: 275
    Rune Priest (Jaws of the World Wolf, Murderous Hurricane, Master of Runes): 120-ish
    Wolf Priest (Frost Blade): 120

Troops:

Blood Claws (14): 210
    1x Flamer

Wolf Guard (5): 245
    5x terminator armor
    4x combi-melta
    1x storm shield
    1x power fist
    Drop pod

Wolf Guard (5): 270
    5x terminator armor
    3x twin wolf claws
    1x storm shield
    1x powerfist
    Drop pod

Wolf Guard (7): 281
    5x terminator armor
    1x Assault Cannon
    1x powerfist
    2x Wolf Guard "Sergeant" with Power Fist

Heavy:

Long Fang Squad (6): 190
    3x Heavy Bolter (15)
    2x Multi-melta (40)
    Drop Pod

Land Raider Crusader: 265
    Multi-melta
    Extra Armor

The big picture:
    14 Blood Claws, 1 Wolf Guard (PF), and 1 Wolf Priest in a LRC
    6 Long Fangs, Rune Priest, and Logan in a Drop Pod
    5 Terminators in a Drop Pod next to Logan

Logan gives relentless to the Long Fangs turn 1, and then he joins up with the nearby terminator squad as soon as possible.

Caveat: I have yet to get my hands on an actual codex, so points are likely incorrect in a few areas. I should have about 20 points of wiggle room, though.
    Last edited by Lerra; 09-20-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Be interesting to see how 'Logan-wing' works out. But off the bat you are seriously low on numbers, plus players have had good practice in bringing down terminator heavy lists. I personally dont see it has really competitive. At 2k, both Guard and Orks will bring numbers AND hurt. Play guard with a couple of punishers and you'll be surprised how many 1's you roll on saves!

WG are so much more expensive than their vanilla marine counterparts. Only good in small numbers where they can mix in with the squads and buff them up. As an out and out force they are just too pricey.

4 or 5 strong GH squads with a handful of rune priests/stormcaller will be strong. Throw in marks of the wulfen and free meltas in rhinos. You can take almost 2 rune priests and a Battle leader for the price of logan, who will do more damage to more targets.

Wolfpriests are just not that great. Put a decent wolfguard in the squad with claws and an LRC and it will do just as much damage.

I think it would be a fun list, and against certain builds would do well. But at a competitive level it might loose its way a little and need a nip and tuck.
    Gamer • Painter • Designer • Englishman
    http://levitas-master-artificer.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

It's gonna be tricky to squeeze in Loganwing and other stuff. WG are expensive, WG termies are more expensive.

BCs are meh, a single LRC is going to draw plenty of fire.

If you want to drop Wolfwing, then stick with it. A bunch of DW squads with assault cannons, combi-meltas, 1 storm shield+chainfist, toss them in DPs. Dreads in DPs work wonders, and DS-ing Speeders give you some extra mobile firepower.

Logan + Long Fangs is a fun combo, but it's ridiculously expensive, so be careful. Add a plain jane WG to soak up a hit as well, optional storm shield.

@Lerra: Sweet! A Logan list!

Here are my comments:

1. I'd go with Tempest's Wrath instead of Murderous Hurricane for my second power.
    2. I'd stick with the Crozius for the Wolf Priest, but I'd add a Wolftail Necklace.

3. Blood Claws are decent, but I'm really loving Grey Hunters. They are a much more tolerant unit. BCs only work if you use them perfectly -- if they don't get the assault, then they are in trouble. GHs work even if you make some mistakes. And Mark of the Wulfen is awesome.

4. If you are going to put Logan in a Drop Pod, then you should go with either 5 Lascannon or 5 Multi-meltas. That gives you the biggest benefit for Relentless on the turn you arrive and Tank Hunter in the subsequent rounds.

I love the idea of a ton of meltaguns (and multimeltas) clearing a path for heavy assault units. The army should be able to focus on the tougest parts of your opponent's army.

The army kind of falls apart of your opponent holds his army in reserve; you'll have to trust on those 2+ saves to pull a lot of weight.

All-in-all, it looks like a small, elite army that could be a lot of fun.

--mkerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Brother-Captain

Thanks for the critiques! Changes: it's expensive to run 3 HQs in an elite-heavy list, especially when one of them is Logan. I dropped the wolf priest, the BC squad and the Land Raider for 2 grey hunter squads in drop pods and another terminator squad. I would like to put the grey hunters in rhinos because it feels better, but with 5 pods in the army I can drop 3 turn 1, and I'm not sure if the rhino gives the same kind of benefit.

HQ:
    Logan Grimnar: 275
    Rune Priest (Jaws of the World Wolf, Tempest's Wrath): 100

Troops:

Wolf Guard (5): 245
    5x terminator armor
    4x combi-melta
    1x storm shield
    1x power fist
    Drop pod

Wolf Guard (5): 270
    5x terminator armor
    3x twin wolf claws
    1x storm shield
    1x powerfist
    Drop pod

Wolf Guard (5): 220
    5x terminator armor
    1x assault cannon
    1x powerfist
    1x storm shield

Wolf Guard (6): 238
    5x terminator armor
    1x assault cannon
    1x powerfist
    1x storm shield
    Wolf Guard "Sergeant" for Long Fang Squad

Grey Hunters (10): 205
    1x flamer
    1x meltagun
    1x power weapon
    Mark of the Wulfen
    Drop Pod

Grey Hunters (10): 205
    2x meltagun
    1x power weapon
    Mark of the Wulfen
    Drop Pod

Heavy:

Long Fang Squad (6): 225
    5x Multi-melta (100)
    Drop Pod
    Last edited by Lerra; 09-21-2009 at 06:36 PM.

@Lerra: You've still got two units on foot? Or am I missing something? I think you really need to get those guys in Drop Pods too.

I'm looking foward to seeing how the army plays.

-- mkerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Brother-Captain

Yeah, definitely stick every squad in Pods, otherwise they can get hosed really quick turn 1.

I'd drop out the GH for Dreads, they give you more melta, can tie up problem units for Termies (boyz, Banshees, and so on). Also, if points allow, deep striking MM/HF speeders would be very useful to reach out an touch someone from your fairly slow army.

Brother-Captain

Hmm. You are both right. I should just buck up and buy the drop pods for everyone. I was letting my cheapness ($$$) get in the way

I like your dreadnought idea too Chumbalaya.

Occuli Imperator

Though I see the point of Chumbalaya with the dreads I would say keep the GH. They are the all-stars of this Codex, IMHO.

I would seriously go all or nothing with the pods though.

Brother-Captain

The problem with GH is not GH themselves, but the Pod's capacity. A DP can only hold 10 models, so you're stuck between 2 meltas and 0 combat ability (1 attack powerfists and random rending doesn't cut it) plus Ld8 or 1 melta, Ld9 and something halfway decent in an assault. For Podding, not so great as you need the melta early to knock out vehicles before they run circles around you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast