BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chaplain

Upon playing this game app further I've come to enjoy it a lot. It's like Warhammer 40k finally entered the world of life consuming Facebook apps.

So far the player units mostly don't look like 40k things except for a Leman Russ, Shadowsword, and Chimera knockoff. Players get a "Mega Bot" which you can upgrade. One of the later upgrades makes it look 100 percent identical to a Furioso Dreadnought. Only it's painted white and has what appears to be a Dark Angels style ornament on top of it. In game terms your Megabot is like a Reaver Titan: huge, hard hitting, and massive hitpoints. The Ork things all look just like 40k Orks in virtually every aspect.

We also get aircraft in this game though the only one I have I got for completing a collection. Each collection gives you unique rewards. Often these will be special units or structures. Some of the rewards look like the Terminator, Rambo, and I swear Tango and Cash are in there!

In terms of game play it has several modes:

There's a mission which occurs every so many hours. It gives you a task you must perform on your mask. Often rewarding you with free units. In this mode you'll also be tending to your resources, making units, building your base.

Another mode is the world map. It has two aspects: the first one is to challenge other players on a map. You can relocate to another map if you like. But the objective is for you to gain total control over your map. The other map mode involves a series of missions against the Orks.

The best part of this is every time you leave your map and return various Ork units respawn on it. And you can forth and kill them gaining gold, experience, and loot for your collections. Also on your map are numerous resources which regenerate after a period of time. These include wood, oil, steel, and gold. You also get to build resource producing structures as well.

On your regular map showing your base I find the combat to be fairly easy. The Orks come on in a large horde of various units including several warrior types, boar riders, and vehicles. I find luring them within range of my turret weapons to be an effective way to deal with them.

However, my biggest complaint involves attacking another player:

Your army is virtually uncontrollable! If you have recon center, which you need two allies to man, you can spy on the enemy base before attacking so you can see what they have and what angle to come from.

But as soon as one unit attacks you lose control of your army!!! The game is in beta so I figure this is an issue they must address. When I attack my army will move towards the selected target. Some units go right for it and others just meander off in random directions. Then when the defending units respond I try to order my guys to kill them. And they just wander about. I am unable to effectively concentrate fire on any single target as a result. This ends up with my army becoming dispersed, disorganized, and not responding to my commands. And they get picked off. Another pesky aspect is what I call "wall magnet." Your units automatically fire at something near them until the lack of control kicks in. Often this will be an enemy wall. And assuming no defender is messing with them they'll just go along the entire length of the wall shooting it until its gone.

The good news is after attacking players a good percentage of your lost units are resurrected so it's not that big of an issue to lose an attack. But then, not winning because of the lack of control sucks! Luckily this issue doesn't occur when facing off against the Orks in the other modes.

Lastly, players can create an Alliance. In the mode in which you attack other players there appears to be a means to call allies to help you as well. Another issue I have with the game involves allies. Some structures require you to staff it with a FB friend. Or you can take your reward points and hire one. I've sent many requests but thus far no responses.

But if you're on Facebook, like games, and love 40k you might want to try this one out.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Sort of related, sort of not related, but has anyone else tried Templar Assault on Android devices?

It's pretty much Space Hulk. Actually, pretty fun.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by frommage View Post
    GW would probably sue you for using the word WARHAMMER 40k and GAMES WORKSHOP without their concent
    *consent

Anyway I'm really interested in this facebook game. Copyright infringement be damned. Whats the name of it?

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnemy View Post
    Sort of related, sort of not related, but has anyone else tried Templar Assault on Android devices?

It's pretty much Space Hulk. Actually, pretty fun.
    Templar Assault is great, I love being able to upgrade your characters.

Chaplain

This is one of two things: blatant 40k rip off or Games Workshop has a secret Facebook game app project.

Probably the former.

The game in question apparently had another name and theme. Men vs. Women. But now its redone and in beta.

In addition to the numerous 40k units I described previously there's more:

One mission I'm currently doing has me defeating the "Crusaders." Who are in fact Ultamarines. There's assault marines, dreadnoughts, landspeeders, marine bikes, vindicators, tactical marines, characters and chaplains! All in Ultra Marine blue. The rip offs paid such attention to detail that you'll notice 40k insignias and decorative bits.

There is also an alien faction which is made up of xenomorphs from Aliens and several Tyrannid creatures. One appears to be a Carnifex.

We also get Mr. T, Rambo, the Terminator, and a guy who looks like a famous video game character.

The player vs. player combat is still messed up. But otherwise this game is pretty fun. Especially if you don't get to play the tabletop!
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Veteran-Sergeant

Just say "No" to facebook.

Battle-Brother

You can't really rip off 40k. Its already a pastiche of pop culture and fiction references, ideas and designs. Anything that seems like its ripping off 40k is just as likely to be based off whatever 40k was ripping off twenty years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12