BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tau question

Chaplain

Default Tau question

SO with 6th Edition right around the corner and a new Tau Codex in the next decade.....lol

ahem...

what modes would be safe bets to buy??

I was thinking to play small 500-750 pt games and I'm going to say Fire Warriors for sure and Devil fish....and since that's the case....Hammerheads and or Sky Ray kits so you can have the swap out parts...

What do you all think??

Fire Warriors... I generally use no more than twelve of these in my games, but I can only field a bit over 2K points. I typically field six of them with their Devilfish, and honestly, I generally want the Devilfish a lot more than the occupants. Kroot, If you are playing standard Tau you want twenty of them, as they are the only melee you have unless you count your HQ guys. I generally play Farsight, so I don't use mine much. Crisis Suits and Broadsides, you will eventually want nine or more of each of these, but you want one of each to start, and then three, Crisis Suits first.) Stealth Suits and Sniper Drones eventually. IMHO (folks will flame me for this) DO NOT get Pathfinders at this time - they are way too expensive for what you get. Piranhas... maybe. I don't use them much. I don't use Vespid at all.

Regarding Devilfishes/Hammerheads/Sky Rays... Currently, the best and least expensive way to go with Tau heavy vehicles is to buy Sky Rays, and then get the Hammerhead weapon sprues for them from GW direct. In this fashion you will have the best versatility with your models for the least money. If you leave off the turret altogether you then have a Devilfish, of course. The best substitute Devilfish cap for the turret socket that I have found is, no joke, no lie, the aerater cap off of a 1.75 liter bottle of Evan Williams Bourbon. (Coincidentally the 'go-to' whiskey in my house.) I find a three oz. dose of this, self-administered over a period of approximately two to three hours (neat), also makes the assembly and priming task of any model go more easily and more enjoyably. Folks may think I have been so self-medicating when they read this, but I haven't; I'm enjoying tequila tonight. (I live in San Antonio, Texas, BTW ::grin:: ) If you are not of age, then use buttons: measure the turret socket, then hit the local craft store and find a button that will fit in the socket with 1mm or so to spare. Find another button about four-five mm too big. Glue the one to the other, greenstuff the thread holes, prime it, and it will serve until you can raid someone's bit box.

One last note: Magnetize your crisis suit weapons. Trust me on this. I use 1.5 mm rare earth magnets on my stuff, and thereby can swap out weapon loadouts from game to game. Saves a bunch of money.
    Last edited by LordGrise; 04-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by LordGrise View Post
    Fire Warriors... I generally use no more than twelve of these in my games, but I can only field a bit over 2K points. I typically field six of them with their Devilfish, and honestly, I generally want the Devilfish a lot more than the occupants. Kroot, If you are playing standard Tau you want twenty of them, as they are the only melee you have unless you count your HQ guys. I generally play Farsight, so I don't use mine much. Crisis Suits and Broadsides, you will eventually want nine or more of each of these, but you want one of each to start, and then three, Crisis Suits first.) Stealth Suits and Sniper Drones eventually. IMHO (folks will flame me for this) DO NOT get Pathfinders at this time - they are way too expensive for what you get. Piranhas... maybe. I don't use them much. I don't use Vespid at all.

Regarding Devilfishes/Hammerheads/Sky Rays... Currently, the best and least expensive way to go with Tau heavy vehicles is to buy Sky Rays, and then get the Hammerhead weapon sprues for them from GW direct. In this fashion you will have the best versatility with your models for the least money. If you leave off the turret altogether you then have a Devilfish, of course. The best substitute Devilfish cap for the turret socket that I have found is, no joke, no lie, the aerater cap off of a 1.75 liter bottle of Evan Williams Bourbon. (Coincidentally the 'go-to' whiskey in my house.) I find a three oz. dose of this, self-administered over a period of approximately two to three hours (neat), also makes the assembly and priming task of any model go more easily and more enjoyably. Folks may think I have been so self-medicating when they read this, but I haven't; I'm enjoying tequila tonight. (I live in San Antonio, Texas, BTW ::grin:: ) If you are not of age, then use buttons: measure the turret socket, then hit the local craft store and find a button that will fit in the socket with 1mm or so to spare. Find another button about four-five mm too big. Glue the one to the other, greenstuff the thread holes, prime it, and it will serve until you can raid someone's bit box.

One last note: Magnetize your crisis suit weapons. Trust me on this. I use 1.5 mm rare earth magnets on my stuff, and thereby can swap out weapon loadouts from game to game. Saves a bunch of money.
    Very nice.....and I'm 37 btw...lol

'm jut trying to figure out what would be used best at this point and time with a new codex looming and 6th edition. Sounds like Warriors for sure for now. And grab some Hammerheads.

Quote Originally Posted by LordGrise View Post
    So I was agreeing with everything until I got to "Sniper Drones". Uhhh, that is literally the worst entry in the codex.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Battle-Brother

The Skyray kit comes with the Hammerhead sprue. The Skyray kit can build either a Hammerhead or a Skyray. There is no reason to ever buy the Hammerhead kit considering both kits are the same price, but one comes with the extra seeker missile array sprue.

Honestly the Battleforce box is a decent start to the army. Kroot, 12xfirewarriors, crisis suit, devilfish, and stealth suits.
    You essentially get the stealth suits for free and the kroot at a slight discount. Given the current rule set you likely won't use the stealth suits, but everything else in that box is used with a modern Tau force. I advise you check out 3++is the new black for more Tau tactics and advice. There is a lot of solid advice there.
    Last edited by fuzzyguy; 04-06-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

There is absolutely nothing wrong with stealthsuits other than they compete with crisis for the elite slots. They are durable, versatile and about as cost efficent as everything else that isn't a crisis or broadside.

But aside from all that you should invest in a small handfull of fw as they are the standard troops but don't go overboard. Get crisis suits because as it stands you need a min of one in your army, but on top of that they really are the backbone of the army. The chance that it will change with new rules are incredibly slim gw would likely never hear the end of the raging nerds if they ruined crisis suits. Its probably safe to say the same for broadsides but its likely that they might buff the heck out of the other heavy options next codex considering how rails fill the slots on every list right now. A few kroot might be a solid investment because they have a large fanbase. Some like them better than the tau... I would stay away from vehicles in general till they make the changes. These models might be enough to keep you busy.

You know what's sad? When Stealth Suits fail to immobilize a dreadnought.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyguy View Post
    the skyray kit comes with the hammerhead sprue. The skyray kit can build either a hammerhead or a skyray. There is no reason to ever buy the hammerhead kit considering both kits are the same price, but one comes with the extra seeker missile array sprue.

Honestly the battleforce box is a decent start to the army. Kroot, 12xfirewarriors, crisis suit, devilfish, and stealth suits.
    You essentially get the stealth suits for free and the kroot at a slight discount. Given the current rule set you likely won't use the stealth suits, but everything else in that box is used with a modern tau force. I advise you check out 3++is the new black for more tau tactics and advice. There is a lot of solid advice there.
    link????

Battle-Brother

I assume you are asking for the link for 3++
    [url]http://www.3plusplus.net/p/armies-in-5th-edition-articles.html[/url]
    The above is the link to the general 5th edition army section.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Urza8188 View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with stealthsuits other than they compete with crisis for the elite slots. They are durable, versatile and about as cost efficent as everything else that isn't a crisis or broadside.

But aside from all that you should invest in a small handfull of fw as they are the standard troops but don't go overboard. Get crisis suits because as it stands you need a min of one in your army, but on top of that they really are the backbone of the army. The chance that it will change with new rules are incredibly slim gw would likely never hear the end of the raging nerds if they ruined crisis suits. Its probably safe to say the same for broadsides but its likely that they might buff the heck out of the other heavy options next codex considering how rails fill the slots on every list right now. A few kroot might be a solid investment because they have a large fanbase. Some like them better than the tau... I would stay away from vehicles in general till they make the changes. These models might be enough to keep you busy.
    Yeah I got a Battleforce coming with 2 additional suits.

I've played Tau and it was my first army back in 06. So I know how they work and what sucks and not....but haven't touched them with 5th.....my concern is more of do I buy it or not. I'm not looking for retro and as expensive GW can be, I don't want to tlss a ton of money if they are replacing all the models. Unless I win the lottery than who cares...lol

I just hate how FW got tossed not in the back seat, but the freaking trunk, chained and dumped in the river. They my be squishy vut you can do some amazing things with them.

Meat shields and tank hunters for one......

And yeah. I knew the Sky Ray has all sprues. That's the only way I'll go. Easy to convert and swap out parts. Specially that tank hatch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast