BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tau question

My experience with codex upgrades (although I'm not a Tau player) comes down to a few generalizations:
    1) Wargear tends to have the biggest changes. The latest round of 'dexes has reduced the variety of war gear available to any given unit. Particularly affected in this regard are squad leaders IMO.
    2) Special rules to tailor armies have largely gone by the wayside in favor of introducing more characters who give you a more limited ability to tailor than say Imperial Guard doctrines or old Space Marine chapter customizaiton. This can cause some pain if you've use these special rules and have a WYSIWYG army.
    3) Codices rarely take away a unit. The main impact to your army list at an unit level is either changes in abilities or the occasional switching of a unit type from elite to fast or heavy and vice versa.

Short of it, if you buy the battalion box and keep your list fairly vanilla, you shouldn't run into many, if any, problems with new dex in terms of being able to use your existing models. Some of the more extensive wargear options may be trimmed, but usually it's to remove stuff hardly anyone used anyway or to make it standard when almost everyone took that option anyway.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Chapter-Master

I think it's pretty safe to say that our Fire Warriors will not get a resculpt, and I doubt our vehicles will change much, either. I'd stay away from buying Crisis Suits or Broadsides, as they are quite likely - in my opinion - to get the most radical resculpt.

I'd also avoid buying anything currently in metal (unless you like the metal models, of course, and want to get them before they go out of print.). This includes Pathfinders, Vespids, and Ethereals. They might be translated directly into plastic/finecast, or they might get a resculpt along the way.

If you like the models, I'd definitely get things that are commonly said to be crap, especially if you can get them cheap on eBay! Who knows what the next codex will bring?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    I think it's pretty safe to say that our Fire Warriors will not get a resculpt, and I doubt our vehicles will change much, either. I'd stay away from buying Crisis Suits or Broadsides, as they are quite likely - in my opinion - to get the most radical resculpt.

I'd also avoid buying anything currently in metal (unless you like the metal models, of course, and want to get them before they go out of print.). This includes Pathfinders, Vespids, and Ethereals. They might be translated directly into plastic/finecast, or they might get a resculpt along the way.

If you like the models, I'd definitely get things that are commonly said to be crap, especially if you can get them cheap on eBay! Who knows what the next codex will bring?

Agree 100% with you here.....as for Suits....egh....eff it.....I think it would look cool with both on the field and suits are pretty cheap right now depending on who you get them from. I can get suits for $18 a pop....and prolly wont have no more than 6 total for now.....so 3 are coming for sure.....but yeah....I love the FW's....I hope they get beefed up a bit to make them a bit more resiliant.

STEALTH SUIT MODELS KICK ***....

even just to paint for diorama's....

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyguy View Post
    I assume you are asking for the link for 3++
    [url]http://www.3plusplus.net/p/armies-in-5th-edition-articles.html[/url]
    The above is the link to the general 5th edition army section.
    You rock Fuzz....

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ksoh75 View Post
    Agree 100% with you here.....as for Suits....egh....eff it.....I think it would look cool with both on the field and suits are pretty cheap right now depending on who you get them from. I can get suits for $18 a pop....and prolly wont have no more than 6 total for now.....so 3 are coming for sure.....but yeah
    Eh... well... it's less that I think a mixed force would look bad, and more that the boxy, unmodified Crisis Suit is probably my least favorite model in the line. It's less "I'm stressed about fielding a force of mixed old and new suits" and more "I want to save my money/storage space for the new suits when they come out!"

STEALTH SUIT MODELS KICK ***....
    I agree. They're neat. Sleek, rounded, high-tech, and a little bit fishy (I kind of want to see a Stealth Suit painted to look like Nemo or something...). I'd love for the Crisis Suits to look more like this!

even just to paint for diorama's....
    Actually, they're remarkably useful. I will swear up and down that the Stealth Marker Team is infinitely superior to the Pathfinder or Skyray method of getting Markerlights onto the table (though possibly inferior to Forgeworld's Tetras). Also, they make a great outflanking unit. Although the Stealth Field is a bit... meh, you're still talking about a two-wound, 3+ unit that can sometimes be hard to shoot at, with a gun that tears up GEQs and even scares MEQs, thanks to its high rate of fire. I've used them a couple of times, with good results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12