BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Daemon-Prince

Default Looking to start Flames of war (British)

Hi guys i have been playing miniature game's for years and have finally decided to drop a few games in order to pick up flames of war due to the community being much friendly (and the models more fun) then the others. Anyhow i have picked the British and i have a huge soft spot for planes and tanks....However since i don't really know the rules or how to build an army list can anyone help me out with suggestions on what would be the best build to do? My Friends are going German/American & german......

Brother-Sergeant

First thing you'll want to do, is get yourself some lists to work with. Since you're going British, your options depend upon which Era you will be playing, but things can easily be modified to fit the different time periods, especially if you use infantry.

In any case, your primary resources would be Blitzkrieg for Early War, North Africa for Mid War, and either Fortress Europe, and irrc Turning Tide for LW. There is also the main rulebook for v3 which now comes with some basic lists to get you by.

From there, the type of list you want to build will determine what you are required to take and what options you have available. Your list will have a mandatory HQ, and at least 2 Combat Companies. Many lists will offer extra optional combat companies, but not all of them do. From there you have the optional Weapon Companies, which act as secondary supporting elements, and then finally the Corps Support, which tend to be ubiquitous throughout most of that nations list. What's available, and what's required of your list, will vary wildly with the list itself. For example, an armored company will most likely give you a Company Comander tank, with possibly an optional 2iC (or mandatory 2iC), and then to Combat Companies of tanks (which may or may not have options on which tanks you can run). Your Weapon Company options may be immediate supporting elements such as Mortar teams, Heavy Machine Guns, and some basic infantry support, while your Corp Support will be stuff like Artillery, Air Support, Recon, etc.

My recommendation would therefore be to figure out which era your friends would like to start playing with, find a list that interests you, and build for the requirements of that first. You can then expand onto it with other elements, and through that you can(slowly) begin collecting enough to run a variety of lists. One thing to note about Flames of War, is that it's a combined arms game. You're better off with a diverse list with many different elements, then a 'spammy' list of all the 'best' thing. A common trap newcomers run into, is the idea of the 'Heavy Tank List', as it's little more than the 'best' tanks. The problem these newcomers run into, is that a Tiger 1e, Panther, or Konigstiger is no more of a threat to an infantry platoon than a Pz4. And the point cost of those big heavy tanks, as well as their often slow speeds, means they can easily be swarmed by medium tanks.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by GrogDaTyrant View Post
    First thing you'll want to do, is get yourself some lists to work with. Since you're going British, your options depend upon which Era you will be playing, but things can easily be modified to fit the different time periods, especially if you use infantry.

In any case, your primary resources would be Blitzkrieg for Early War, North Africa for Mid War, and either Fortress Europe, and irrc Turning Tide for LW. There is also the main rulebook for v3 which now comes with some basic lists to get you by.

From there, the type of list you want to build will determine what you are required to take and what options you have available. Your list will have a mandatory HQ, and at least 2 Combat Companies. Many lists will offer extra optional combat companies, but not all of them do. From there you have the optional Weapon Companies, which act as secondary supporting elements, and then finally the Corps Support, which tend to be ubiquitous throughout most of that nations list. What's available, and what's required of your list, will vary wildly with the list itself. For example, an armored company will most likely give you a Company Comander tank, with possibly an optional 2iC (or mandatory 2iC), and then to Combat Companies of tanks (which may or may not have options on which tanks you can run). Your Weapon Company options may be immediate supporting elements such as Mortar teams, Heavy Machine Guns, and some basic infantry support, while your Corp Support will be stuff like Artillery, Air Support, Recon, etc.

My recommendation would therefore be to figure out which era your friends would like to start playing with, find a list that interests you, and build for the requirements of that first. You can then expand onto it with other elements, and through that you can(slowly) begin collecting enough to run a variety of lists. One thing to note about Flames of War, is that it's a combined arms game. You're better off with a diverse list with many different elements, then a 'spammy' list of all the 'best' thing. A common trap newcomers run into, is the idea of the 'Heavy Tank List', as it's little more than the 'best' tanks. The problem these newcomers run into, is that a Tiger 1e, Panther, or Konigstiger is no more of a threat to an infantry platoon than a Pz4. And the point cost of those big heavy tanks, as well as their often slow speeds, means they can easily be swarmed by medium tanks.
    Well we decided on late war and so far i am sitting on this list since it seems pretty solid, even know i would of liked to get some planes in there.....

So here is what i have so far, i used highway of hell

Welshguard Tank Company 1.5k

Command-220
    -------
    2 Cromwell IV
    1 Cromwell ARV

#1 Combat Platoon-440
    ---------------
    3 Cromwell IV
    1 Challenger

#2 Combat Platoon-440
    ---------------
    3 Cromwell IV
    1 Challenger

Column Platoon-100
    --------------
    Mortar Section

Artillery-295
    ----------
    Sp Field Battery
    4 Sextons, AA MG

Hi Elzanth,
    I would change the column mortars for carrier recce section.(With hull 50 cal MG).
    Without recon you are going to get owned by dug in AT.

And At least one AA unit , and aircraft would be very handy.

Can you drop the ARV and Challengers?And use Crusader AA or SP bofors unit , with priority Typhoon .