BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

You are missing the point- jump infantry, jet bikes, and skimmers can fly OVER their opponents. It doesn't matter that there are opponents right on the board edge.

Also, it has been mentioned before. If you are already within 1" of the enemy, you can move away! You are not in a perpetual state of non movement.

Furthermore, the edge of the board is the 'abyss'. Nothing exists out there... You have to start measurement in the reference frame of the board. The only way to do that would be to start from the board edge...

You are the one missing the point.

" If you are already within 1" of the enemy, you can move away! You are not in a perpetual state of non movement." If you are within one inch you are suppose to be in CC by the rules.

" You have to start measurement in the reference frame of the board. The only way to do that would be to start from the board edge... " Starting from the edge of the board is like "saying" that they are there to measure from. You CANNOT start within one inch of the enemy. Hold your jump model next to the board edge before you start measuring when there is an enemy model on the inside edge. Now look at it. .....giving time for you to do so.... Does it look like it is within one inch of the enemy? Yes. So how could you start measuring from the board edge (or the abyss)?

What this is is a rule grey area. You see it your way and I see it mine. So until a FAQ comes out.

Chapter-Master

I'll point out there's at least one other case in which you can, in fact, be within 1" of an opponent while not locked in assault, and don't necessarily have to move away. And even if you do, you still start within 1" of the enemy and move away.

Heh. Darklink got trolled.
    I mostly just wanted to quote Airplane!. And this actually reminds me more of some of Tynskel's arguments than trolling.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

hey, at least I could actual rules in my arguments.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nightspawn View Post
    It's not a doubt that they could jump over them if they were on the board already. The problem comes where they are suppose to start their movement from.

In the rule book it says " Each model's move is measured from the table edge of the battlefield, as if they had been positioned just off the board edge in the previous turn and moved as normal.".

Doesn't every model have to do this including jump infantry? Being just off the board edge just like everyone else would stop them from coming onto the board. True?

They are not available in the previous turn to set up there. So when they become avaiable they wouldn't be there if an enemy is on that edge.

If the measuring point to move the jump guys is the board edge then they can't do it because they will be within one inch of the enemy.
    But there are no models at the board edge when the movement takes place. so whether or not that point is within 1" of an enemy model is irrelevant--we measure from it and place models at the end point. Deep strikers, for example, have to actually place and drop at least one model before the unit can be subject to Mishap. And the reason that the Mishap occurs isn't because they started their movement there, it's because they ENDED their movement phase there.

Which is the only restriction on movement. Models may not *end* their movement or move within 1" of an enemy model. Given that the model is beginning movement and has permission within the relevant rules to move over and through enemy models, there is no conflict. There is no point where the model suddenly exists off the table edge-- per the rulebook, all players know that the table edge is the end of the world! No models exist there, they don't exist until some part of the model comes onto the board--whether that's a partial tank move (probably resulting in a ram) or jumping over the enemy force on jetbikes.

Even fleeing models don't exist off board at any point--the moment any model in a fleeing unit touches the relevant board edge, they are removed from play entirely without any opportunity to go further. Even if they would only cross the board edge by a fraction of an inch, or would touch it exactly, they are removed. If one model touches the board edge exactly and another model in the same unit is 2 feet behind, both models are removed because no part of the unit is allowed to exist as a model off the board.
    Last edited by thecactusman17; 04-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    But there are no models at the board edge when the movement takes place. so whether or not that point is within 1" of an enemy model is irrelevant--we measure from it and place models at the end point.
    It is very relevent when you are measuring for them to come onto the table.

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    There is no point where the model suddenly exists off the table edge-- per the rulebook, all players know that the table edge is the end of the world!
    By what you say they do suddenly exist. As soon as you give a point of measurment they exist.

Use this the next time you want to use jump packs that way.

"POOF! Here is my jump squad and we are just going to ignore you and deploy away from the edge where you are clearly blocking so I can't deploy the rest of my army. Oh no I have no rules to back this up but I'm doing it anyway."
    Last edited by Nightspawn; 04-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Chapter-Master

but you are forgetting... You can jump OVER them.

You are not physically on the table until AFTER you begin moving them... In the process of moving they are jumping OVER your models along the edge.

What you are saying is that ANY model that is 1" from an opponent cannot move EVER. That's not correct.

If you are measuring from the table edge, it's like you are saying that your squad is there for movement. How can you measure from that point if the enemy is already on that table edge?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Nightspawn View Post
    If you are measuring from the table edge, it's like you are saying that your squad is there for movement. How can you measure from that point if the enemy is already on that table edge?
    You realize the consequence of this argument is you can not move within 1" of the table edge as the reserve unit is already there.

Veteran-Sergeant

Wow Nightspawn, really? Why would anyone want to play you ever? You sir are a douchebag.

All your arguments have been rebuffed by Tynskel and Darklink fairly well and your asking for an FAQ as the only way you will accept this ruling. You will never get one because it's not needed. And as for wanting someone's judgement from somewhere like Adepticon, as an Active judge at Wargamescon and having judged alongside members of the Adepticon judging crew, I am telling you that you are wrong. If you tried to pull something like this at a major event you would get laughed at.

You need to relax, this is just a game and trying to get super technical in an abstract game is going to get you nowhere.
    BOLScon 40k Judge

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast