BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Demigryph Models

So after perusing the book all last night and coming up with some decent lists that interest me.. I went back to the store today to pick up a few of the new models. I came home with a box of demigryph knights and the witch hunter (thanks to wildeybeast and diagnosis ninja). I opened up the box of demigryph knights and was both amazed and disappointed.

Pros
    Fantasticly detailed models (particularly the demigryphs)
    Nice variety of heads

Cons
    Barely poseable
    Riders seem to lack the detail of the mount (it's there, just not as crisp)
    only a few extra add-ons (very few)

Now, don't get me wrong... the models are brilliant. I'm just shocked that really.. without some converting it will be difficult to get anything out of the box except knights with lances straight up in the air. Even the halberds are like that.

I'm going to try and get mine assembled today and maybe even paint a test figure up. For those interested... I'm trying to do Wissenland (I have a fondness for former Solland for some reason).

If anyone wants pictures of the sprue or particular pieces.. let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

The lack of customisation is pretty strict, but it doesn't really bother me. These are big, pretty complicated and detailed models and to have them like the standard troops box where you can mix and match would be pretty difficult. It's also slightly annoying that on two out of the three DG's the feet don't connect properly to the legs and leave gaps that need greenstuffing. A bit of a let down for what is otherwise a fantastic kit. However the KF kit is bloody awesome, so easy to put together and so well designed that you can't really see a single join on there. By far and away the best GW kit I have ever assembled.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

THe black knights/hexwraiths are pretty much the same. No poses possible outside what you see on the box. I fear my forthcoming Bret Grail Knights will be doomed to the same fate.

All of their big monster kits have been like that. HPA, Sphinx, etc leave few, if any, gaps that require filling later.

I'm not looking for state troop level of customization... but a few different weapon arm poses would be nice. The halberds in particular don't lend themselves well to converting with how far down the haft the hand is located.

I really want the griffon kit... but I'm just not a fan of lord level characters on monsters. I suppose I will buy one at some point, but I'm in the process of putting together a new empire army, chaos dwarves, and revamping my tomb kings... so it's pretty far down the list.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion

Chapter-Master

Dont get a Theodore Bruckner from FW unless you want to be even more disappointed; next to Reaper, the demi griffs look like little teetling runts.

I still like them, but they are so much smaller than Bruckner that you can't use both.

Made me sad.

Also: Everyone should own a gryphon. It's a truly lovely model that could be made a riderless gryphon with a very minimal amount of conversion work.

www.queencityguard.com

Well, hoenstly there aren't many poses you can do on a mount in a rank so I wouldn't expect a great deal of variation. Pistoliers have a lot more customisation from memory and they are a pain to rank up.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Dont get a Theodore Bruckner from FW unless you want to be even more disappointed; next to Reaper, the demi griffs look like little teetling runts.
    Well, Reaper is described as "possibly the largest of its kind"...

I'm thinking of making a unit filler of Bruckner & Reaper on a ouble sized demigrpyh base. Counts as two demi gryphs, rather than use the FW rules. Magnetise it so he can go on his regular base if I want to use his rules.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well, hoenstly there aren't many poses you can do on a mount in a rank so I wouldn't expect a great deal of variation. Pistoliers have a lot more customisation from memory and they are a pain to rank up.
    Yes, yes they are. But no where near as bad as the fully posable flagellants. Wonderful models, but trying to get 30 of them to rank up is the devils own business. I'm pleased to say that having done two boxes of DG's now they rank up really well as the DG's are slightly smaller than their bases. And a unit of six looks bloody awesome.

On a KF note, be warned that he is too big for any GW case except the monster one, and the tips of his wings are very thin plastic and rather bendy, so he will need careful storage and transportation to avoid snapping those bits. Now to assemble my wizard mobile with a frickkin laser beam!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Again, I'm not expecting a massive variety of poses for the rider. A simple lance up and lance down would be nice. I really don't like my models charging forward in a parade position.

Right now the only way to get a lance down position is to have the shoulder pauldron hitched forward in a position that would never happen in reality short of someone not strapping on their armor properly.

Overall though... it is a fantastic kit. I just finished assembling my first three (of 6) tonight. I did run into the foot problem that Wildeybeast mentioned but it is easily avoidable by simply trimming the foot peg back a little. I managed to get pretty solid joins that I went over lightly with liquid greenstuff to get rid of the crease.

For the next three I may play around with using greatsword bits to get the motion in the weapon arm that I really desire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast