BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default More detail into M42?

Hi all,
    Having been reading the story of 40K universe, I do wonder if it is possible that GW will make any more history line further into M42? Will the Golden Throne stop functioning? Will Abaddon secure the space over Cadia? Will Tyranid Hive Fleets ever make it to Terra? And what of those all primarchs?

What do you think?

Librarian

Hope so...

But I don“t know if they will do the advance in 6th or later...

Obviously they are now playing with that in order to make their fans be aware of that possibilities
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar“s Gauntlets

Chapter-Master

Warhammer 40K = No. They may cram more events into this one as the fluff expands (see retconned Necrons), but I doubt they will ever advance it into the next millenium.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

A couple of the black library books have touched into the M42. Cain writes his memoirs in M42 after the second siege of Perlia which takes place in 999.M41. Also, the Medusa V campaign that GW ran a couple of years ago did take place in M42. Currently the 13th Black Crusade is going on and seeing as it started in 999.M41, it's definitely possible that the black crusade carries over into M42.

I think GW is starting to introduce elements of the story advancing. While we didn't see a major story advance between 4th and 5th editions, they did introduce an interesting plot element into 5th, the Golden Throne is failing and the Time of Ending has begun. The Imperium is beset on all sides by many enemies and it doesn't look good. Seeing as 6th ed is supposedly coming very soon (within the next year or so I think), I'm interested in what new plot developments they will introduce.

Librarian

I honestly think that the current time of 40k doesn't matter. To a lesser degree I don't think all the background matters, other than to set a mood for the game. You are stll going to have your battles on the table top that may not ever happen in the 'Fluff"

I've always thought that if they advanced the general story of 40k, silly things would happen. Ie, "the end times" are further ushered along, that the Primarchs that are still alive and can be accounted for will fulfill their various prophecies and save the day. This would quite possibly usher in an age of 40K that is much removed from the current state of affairs.

I think at most we see timeline extension, in the sense of some things taking place in early M42. What I strongly doubt we will see, and with good reason, is the story being advanced in the sense of the Throne failing, Cadia falling, impossibly huge hive fleets attacking etc.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I think massive changes would really be a bad idea such as proposed fall of cadia, nid hivefleets getitng to terra, golden throne failing ect, however I think it would add some "breathing room" for new things to be added without having to retcon stuff : i.e. tau develop a new type of crisis suit, a new xeno race emerge to be a sizeable threat, a new space marine founding ect.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Librarian

Hope we will see... not from one edition to another, but maybe bit by bit
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar“s Gauntlets