BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Good choice, I always thought that the HB's were a bit wimpy for a Bastion.

I'm thinking the assault cannons and hurricane bolters from the Redeemer sprue might be spicier add ons still! Or the plasma cannon sponsons from the new Demolisher kit... Ok so who does NOT want their plasma sponsons? GIMME!

Brother-Sergeant

I say triple height. Wish I could borrow this for a game...

Veteran-Sergeant

Well, who knows, we're going to be starting up a GCN accredited gaming club soon, so who knows, maybe this piece might end up at Games Day UK within a few years

Also, another little something I popped together from some of the comms relay bits, an ork alternative to the interceptor lascannon, the interceptor zzzap gun, from someone with no orks and no experience converting ork stuff, I think it's pretty good

Unfortunately the pictures don't show it particularly well, but still:

+++The Imperator Contego Indomitable Fortress+++
    +++The 23rd Joint Assault Group+++

Veteran-Sergeant

Sorry for double post, but I think responses deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by daggitkiller View Post
    I say triple height. Wish I could borrow this for a game...
    Why not make your own then

You could easily temp it if you have enough bastions and a landing pad between gaming companions. It wouldn't look great, but it would be passable

Quote Originally Posted by The Plastic Surgeon View Post
    Good choice, I always thought that the HB's were a bit wimpy for a Bastion.

I'm thinking the assault cannons and hurricane bolters from the Redeemer sprue might be spicier add ons still! Or the plasma cannon sponsons from the new Demolisher kit... Ok so who does NOT want their plasma sponsons? GIMME!
    To be fair, bolters ain't that bad when you've got enough of them I'm only having one level done up with lascannons for the moment though, probably the upper level of the central tower, otherwise I'll end up scaring people off before I even deploy my army!

And good luck with plasma cannon sponsons, I think you'd have to keep the gets hot rule for it to make it fair, imagine four of those getting hot on the same turn, maybe 4 automatic glancing hits? At +1 for the reactors being internal?

Quote Originally Posted by The Plastic Surgeon View Post
    You can always put a Defence Laser on top of the central tower, I'm considering one for mine. If only I could fork out for Phaeton Pattern Autocannons from FW.... that mount is awesome!
    I'm planning on possibly making up a defence laser similar to the ones done by GW as an optional replacement for the central tower at some point. That one may take longer than the shield genny though, domes are awkward.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Valdore View Post
    And good luck with plasma cannon sponsons, I think you'd have to keep the gets hot rule for it to make it fair, imagine four of those getting hot on the same turn, maybe 4 automatic glancing hits? At +1 for the reactors being internal?
    That may not be necessary considering that it's unlikely that you'd get to shoot all 4 at the same time (one in each direction) and if you look at the Executioner that spits out 5 templates without ever getting hot and all in one turn... it's really not that scary.

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok, just a quick update, I haven't forgotten about this or anything, I've just been busy starting on the repainting of my army, a fortress like this needs a nice army to defend it, not a hotch-potch collection of models!

The painting is on hold for the moment as I've run out of three things, undercoat, propellant & decent weather!

The latter seems to have been looking up recently, so tomorrow will be a trip for undercoat and propellant I think, then I can get that show on the road.

Other than that, I've found some decent model train textured plastic for the walkways, I'm just deciding how to do them for now, I think it will likely be cities of death walls, those little ones from the manufactorum sprues, then I'll make up the wall underneath the heavy stubbers with plasticard. Suggestions welcome.

Also, 1,100 views, I hadn't been expecting that Particularly when the original topic on Tau Online has just over 500 at last count, so consider the official thread moved over here

Veteran-Sergeant

Right, not so much progress, but hopefully something that will fire me up and make me get something more done on this project!

Today I managed to scab a lift into my local GW with a friend. First revelation, it was possible to fit the entirety of the fortress (bar the armoured skirting) into a sports bag, as well as numerous guns, defence lines, mounts etc. with it. The armoured skirting sits quite nicely on top of the bag as well

Second, it looks pretty awesome on the table, though a 4' x 4' table isn't big enough, particularly when it's the four hilly sections of the battle board! We just about managed to fit it in the middle.

Third, necrons are rubbish at planetstrike when it comes to 1500 points. Managed to wipe out most of his army turn one (everything that he had on the board anyway, and I didn't even fire everything) He called it there. The later game, a couple of the younger players in the store playing marines vs my friends necrons, the game lasted longer (2 turns before they had to depart) and the necron player managed to hold more objectives than them. So I'm waiting to see what the fortress is like on a bigger table, and in a longer game where it might come into play a little more. And when I'm playing as a defender in a larger game so that I can hopefully defend it more vehemently than those poncy smurfs did!

So anyways, some pictures of the setup (prior to my game) and of the chromeheads vs smurfs (kids faces pixelated for my own personal assurance):

[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/JCspeedy/Warhammer%2040k%20stuff/Imperator%20Contego%20Fortress/?action=view&current=Game_1.jpg][/URL]

The toaster warriors survey the well defended fortress before them, analysing attack patterns and weakpoints:
    [URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/JCspeedy/Warhammer%2040k%20stuff/Imperator%20Contego%20Fortress/?action=view&current=Game_2.jpg][/URL]

The smurfs rear defence:
    [URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/JCspeedy/Warhammer%2040k%20stuff/Imperator%20Contego%20Fortress/?action=view&current=Game_3.jpg][/URL]

The smurfs forward defence, defending the only entrance to the fortress:
    [URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/JCspeedy/Warhammer%2040k%20stuff/Imperator%20Contego%20Fortress/?action=view&current=Game_4.jpg][/URL]

Comments & criticism welcome as always.

Brother-Captain

I'm gonna parrot everyone else...that is freakin' awesome. You've given me some great ideas for my imperial defensive line table!

Btw -it looks great painted!

Librarian

Awesome
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Brother-Sergeant

Your first thumbnail really doesn't do your work justice and didn't draw me in, but I'm glad I looked at the gallery. Excellent plasticard work and a very nice project you have going on there. I'm notsure the large flat in the centre pulls the composition together very well though, the shape just doesn't seem to flow with the towers.
    http://www.mywargame.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast