BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dungeonbowl (video game)

Well as some of you ought to know, Blood Bowl was made into a video game back in 2009. Well now the same company is turning Bloodbowl into the classic variant Dungeonbowl. For those that don't know, Dungeonbowl is Bloodbowl but instead of taking place on a football pitch it takes place in a dungeon a la Heroquest or Warhammer Quest and whatnot.

Some screenshots:

Mummy always said I'd end up like that Elf if I got a tattoo...

[URL="http://www.dungeonbowl-game.com/"]Official Website[/URL]

(I know this should go in the PC games sectio, but I think people actually deserve to see it.)
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Cool, sounds like it might be good. Was the original BB game any good, I never played it?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I've not played the videogame actually, I'm going to buy it on Steam later today I think. I got it into my head it didn't have a campaign mode with player deaths and injuries and whanot but it does.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Blood Bowl game is basically the Blood Bowl board game but with all the miniatures for all the teams (if you get Legendary Edition). As a result, it's lots of fun.

HOWEVER, the XP/levelling system is pretty bad - this is because it takes ages for a single team member to level up. When combined with the fact that players have persistent niggling injuries (and thus wear out), it means you can't really level up your team; no matter how many skills you get, your team will stay largely the same ability as when you began.

Couple this with the Spiralling Expenses rule (which is designed to do nothing except eat any excess money you may make), basically, while you can level your team up, you can never level up to the point where they're better than a beginning team - the rules conspire to keep your team at a static power level, and given that the board game has a very high level of luck due to the dice rolls used, you can easily find yourself ont he end of a frustrating beatdown through no fault of your own.

Finally, there are teams which you cannot win with - Ogres (because they're stupid and may spend turns doing absolutely nothing), Vampires (because they eat their own team on a failry regular basis during play), Goblins (because they're made of tissue paper and have no upside). There's nothing wrong with that, but if you go into the game as a fan of these races, well... you'll probably find it a horrible exeprience.

I really enjoyed the game, but that was largely because I was a Blood Bowl fan before I picked it up. If you're not a Blood Bowl fan to start with, it may prove an underwhelming experience.
    Last edited by MaltonNecromancer; 04-11-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Well, I love Blood Bowl so I'm going ot try it. Loved Dungeonbowl more though, rememeber getting quite upset when my favourite Witch Elf died by falling into a spike pit.

Incidentally, the original tabletop Dungeonbowl rules are on the GW [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1340001_Dungeon_Bowl.pdf"]website[/URL].

Brother-Captain

Ohh I'll have to let my brother know about this. He absolutely loves the Blood Bowl pc game. I have it (he bought it for me) just never given it a try personaly as read very mixed reviews about it.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Blood Bowl PC game is actually pretty good once you figure the controls out (which aren't always intuitive).

I didn't have any of the problems MaltonNecromancer stated though. I played my first campaign (vs the computer) with my usual Skaven team and went undefeated. I had some pretty ridiculous gutter runners by the end of the season although my opponents handicap was outrageous as well. They could essentially fill up their roster with star players and max out their apothecary and rerolls.

Damn, now you've made me want to play BB again.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

I played a few games last night, not as good with Dark Elves in a PC game as I am on the table apparently. Win/draw 50/50 no losses.

Still enjoying BB, except against Lizardmen. Skinks seem to be able to do everything, dodge my intercepts, never fumble, never drop the ball, always manage to get pushed rather than knocked down, always intercept my players etc. If I'm lucky I get a draw. I just had a skink throw a ball while surrounded by three of my players something like 15 squares to another skink with two more of my players near him. I'm lucky if I can pass the ball successfully with a skink within ten squares.

Just spend the first part of the game killing all the skinks.
    Seems to work for me, even if I have to give up a point to put them out of my misery.
    Then my dark elves run circles around lizardmen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast